Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Fedor2

Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-08-31, 15:52

while i do search whole code, its so quite a mess i would say, i found several questionable things, consider their utility.
I already removed gmp code in my unofficial build, and browser seems runs fine.
here the other
* services\datareporting these disabled by default but why keep them at all
* services\healthreport
* services\metrics
* dom\media\platforms\agnostic related to gmp removed as well
* toolkit\components\social this if needed should be take away into some extension
* toolkit\components\telemetry bad stuff
* toolkit\identity these may be needed for sync
services\fxaccounts

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-31, 17:57

Just because it's in the source tree doesn't mean that it's in use.
While code cleanup is a nice thing to do, it is also relatively low priority (and because Mozilla's build system is a mess, it may toss up unexpected roadblocks).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-09-12, 17:10

Roughly there are 250 cpps injected with telemetry code, i deleted telemetry entries form them and b2g as well, and it was a failure, browser wont start, now i'm thinking about build with debug mode to found what i have broke.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-12, 17:52

Fedor2 wrote:Roughly there are 250 cpps injected with telemetry code, i deleted telemetry entries form them and b2g as well, and it was a failure, browser wont start, now i'm thinking about build with debug mode to found what i have broke.
You probably broke 250 things ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-09-13, 13:06

Moonchild wrote:You probably broke 250 things ;)
:lol:

But, I would give a standing ovation to Pale Moon devs because they could bring a true fork out of Firefox code mess.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-09-13, 13:29

Fedor2 wrote:my unofficial build,
Is it a Pale Moon fork?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-14, 11:38

Latitude wrote:
Fedor2 wrote:my unofficial build,
Is it a Pale Moon fork?
If it is an independent build from an edited version of the source code not governed by us, then by strict definition it is a fork. Maybe not a product fork if unpublished or the edits being small, but at least a code fork.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-08, 12:04

Moonchild wrote:
Fedor2 wrote:Roughly there are 250 cpps injected with telemetry code, i deleted telemetry entries form them and b2g as well, and it was a failure, browser wont start, now i'm thinking about build with debug mode to found what i have broke.
You probably broke 250 things ;)

Hm... maybe he isn't on the right track after all. :lol:

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-08, 12:06

Latitude wrote:
Moonchild wrote:You probably broke 250 things ;)
:lol:

But, I would give a standing ovation to Pale Moon devs because they could bring a true fork out of Firefox code mess.
Was Pale Moon forked from original Mozilla code, or from Firefox?

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-10-08, 13:05

It is rebased from Mozilla Firefox code.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-01-22, 23:05

I see that webrtc was started removing, fully up for that. However GMP is still keeping, do you have plans for them?

What can you say about voicemail, telephony, cellbrodcast, mobileconnections and sms, all those are in the dom folder, and those i removed already, shall do fmradio and tv too. In my build of course.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-22, 23:39

WebRTC in Tycho.. Pale Moon 27.. was removed to prevent misguided builders using the unsupported, bitrotted, insecure and otherwise not included code from building it.

The future of webrtc in Pale Moon is that it will not be included BUT UXP will have webrtc in a working state in the codebase but of course excluded from Pale Moon and the application won't really support it even if the platform can unlike Basilisk.

I would suggest you, Fedor2, not speak about things you do not understand. The fact is.. There won't be a huge amount of code culling in Tycho's future because there isn't much of a point now.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-22, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-01-23, 05:35

not speak about things you do not understand.
so i ask for get understand, and you answered it clearly, about webrtc only though.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-01-23, 06:47

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:The future of webrtc in Pale Moon is that it will not be included BUT UXP will have webrtc in a working state in the codebase but of course excluded from Pale Moon and the application won't really support it even if the platform can unlike Basilisk..
To make sure I understand.... UXP (the platform) will support WebRTC. Therefore, if you want WebRTC you have to use or build an application, such as Basilisk (not Pale Moon), that also supports WebRTC.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-01-23, 14:25

I don't think developers will go as far to make Pale Moon + WebRTC build impossible.
You would be able to build both Pale Moon and Basilisk with WebRTC support if you desire so, but the developers will choose to ship Pale Moon without any WebRTC code at all.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-23, 15:49

adesh wrote:I don't think developers will go as far to make Pale Moon + WebRTC build impossible.
Actually, in Tycho I did. I specifically went out of my way to remove the main webrtc code from the codebase. Because Tycho's webrtc was out of date and unmaintained including sec wise. AND because someone bitching that unbuilt unsupported code was buildable.

In UXP however Pale Moon's frontend may not be aligned with its webrtc and unless webrtc becomes desirable as a Pale Moon feature by users it won't be taken into account.

There is also a mozilla trifecta going on with UXP at the moment where DRM and WebRTC and GMP were made dependent on each other. So initially and until we can undo that if you build one you have to build all three and of course for Pale Moon they are undesirable. So will have to isolate all three together and prevent them from building for Pale Moon. Also, even if the platform can support building EME, Pale Moon's application code does not in any way have a concept of it so it would fail to work in any event. So that has to be prevented from being a situation some idiot with a .mozconfig can do.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-23, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.