Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Talk about code development, features, specific bugzilla bugs, enhancements, patches, and other highly technical things.

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific referenced Bugzilla bugs, mercurial, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Most "bug reports" do not belong in this board and should initially be posted in Community Support or other relevant support boards.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016, 01:26

Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Fedor2 » Thu, 31 Aug 2017, 15:52

while i do search whole code, its so quite a mess i would say, i found several questionable things, consider their utility.
I already removed gmp code in my unofficial build, and browser seems runs fine.
here the other
* services\datareporting these disabled by default but why keep them at all
* services\healthreport
* services\metrics
* dom\media\platforms\agnostic related to gmp removed as well
* toolkit\components\social this if needed should be take away into some extension
* toolkit\components\telemetry bad stuff
* toolkit\identity these may be needed for sync
services\fxaccounts

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 22407
Joined: Sun, 28 Aug 2011, 17:27
Location: 58.5°N 15.5°E
Contact:

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Moonchild » Thu, 31 Aug 2017, 17:57

Just because it's in the source tree doesn't mean that it's in use.
While code cleanup is a nice thing to do, it is also relatively low priority (and because Mozilla's build system is a mess, it may toss up unexpected roadblocks).
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016, 01:26

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Fedor2 » Tue, 12 Sep 2017, 17:10

Roughly there are 250 cpps injected with telemetry code, i deleted telemetry entries form them and b2g as well, and it was a failure, browser wont start, now i'm thinking about build with debug mode to found what i have broke.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 22407
Joined: Sun, 28 Aug 2011, 17:27
Location: 58.5°N 15.5°E
Contact:

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Moonchild » Tue, 12 Sep 2017, 17:52

Fedor2 wrote:Roughly there are 250 cpps injected with telemetry code, i deleted telemetry entries form them and b2g as well, and it was a failure, browser wont start, now i'm thinking about build with debug mode to found what i have broke.


You probably broke 250 things ;)
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Latitude
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon, 21 Mar 2016, 18:28

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Latitude » Wed, 13 Sep 2017, 13:06

Moonchild wrote:You probably broke 250 things ;)


:lol:

But, I would give a standing ovation to Pale Moon devs because they could bring a true fork out of Firefox code mess.

Latitude
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon, 21 Mar 2016, 18:28

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Latitude » Wed, 13 Sep 2017, 13:29

Fedor2 wrote:my unofficial build,


Is it a Pale Moon fork?

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 22407
Joined: Sun, 28 Aug 2011, 17:27
Location: 58.5°N 15.5°E
Contact:

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Moonchild » Thu, 14 Sep 2017, 11:38

Latitude wrote:
Fedor2 wrote:my unofficial build,

Is it a Pale Moon fork?

If it is an independent build from an edited version of the source code not governed by us, then by strict definition it is a fork. Maybe not a product fork if unpublished or the edits being small, but at least a code fork.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Donotfillintheblank
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 11:16

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Donotfillintheblank » Sun, 08 Oct 2017, 12:04

Moonchild wrote:
Fedor2 wrote:Roughly there are 250 cpps injected with telemetry code, i deleted telemetry entries form them and b2g as well, and it was a failure, browser wont start, now i'm thinking about build with debug mode to found what i have broke.


You probably broke 250 things ;)

Hm... maybe he isn't on the right track after all. :lol:

Donotfillintheblank
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 11:16

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Donotfillintheblank » Sun, 08 Oct 2017, 12:06

Latitude wrote:
Moonchild wrote:You probably broke 250 things ;)


:lol:

But, I would give a standing ovation to Pale Moon devs because they could bring a true fork out of Firefox code mess.

Was Pale Moon forked from original Mozilla code, or from Firefox?

Latitude
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon, 21 Mar 2016, 18:28

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Latitude » Sun, 08 Oct 2017, 13:05

It is rebased from Mozilla Firefox code.

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016, 01:26

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Fedor2 » Mon, 22 Jan 2018, 23:05

I see that webrtc was started removing, fully up for that. However GMP is still keeping, do you have plans for them?

What can you say about voicemail, telephony, cellbrodcast, mobileconnections and sms, all those are in the dom folder, and those i removed already, shall do fmradio and tv too. In my build of course.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 4762
Joined: Tue, 09 Oct 2012, 19:37

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby New Tobin Paradigm » Mon, 22 Jan 2018, 23:39

WebRTC in Tycho.. Pale Moon 27.. was removed to prevent misguided builders using the unsupported, bitrotted, insecure and otherwise not included code from building it.

The future of webrtc in Pale Moon is that it will not be included BUT UXP will have webrtc in a working state in the codebase but of course excluded from Pale Moon and the application won't really support it even if the platform can unlike Basilisk.

I would suggest you, Fedor2, not speak about things you do not understand. The fact is.. There won't be a huge amount of code culling in Tycho's future because there isn't much of a point now.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on Mon, 22 Jan 2018, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Image

== We got to install microwave ovens / Custom kitchen deliveries / We got to move these refrigerators / We got to move these color TVs ==
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016, 01:26

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby Fedor2 » Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 05:35

not speak about things you do not understand.

so i ask for get understand, and you answered it clearly, about webrtc only though.

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun, 15 May 2016, 05:00
Location: muggy, muggy upstate NY

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby gracious1 » Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 06:47

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:The future of webrtc in Pale Moon is that it will not be included BUT UXP will have webrtc in a working state in the codebase but of course excluded from Pale Moon and the application won't really support it even if the platform can unlike Basilisk..

To make sure I understand.... UXP (the platform) will support WebRTC. Therefore, if you want WebRTC you have to use or build an application, such as Basilisk (not Pale Moon), that also supports WebRTC.
Image“We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.” ― Wm. Ewart Gladstone

User avatar
adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue, 06 Jun 2017, 07:38

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby adesh » Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 14:25

I don't think developers will go as far to make Pale Moon + WebRTC build impossible.
You would be able to build both Pale Moon and Basilisk with WebRTC support if you desire so, but the developers will choose to ship Pale Moon without any WebRTC code at all.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 4762
Joined: Tue, 09 Oct 2012, 19:37

Re: Remove mozilla legacy code and other

Unread postby New Tobin Paradigm » Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 15:49

adesh wrote:I don't think developers will go as far to make Pale Moon + WebRTC build impossible.


Actually, in Tycho I did. I specifically went out of my way to remove the main webrtc code from the codebase. Because Tycho's webrtc was out of date and unmaintained including sec wise. AND because someone bitching that unbuilt unsupported code was buildable.

In UXP however Pale Moon's frontend may not be aligned with its webrtc and unless webrtc becomes desirable as a Pale Moon feature by users it won't be taken into account.

There is also a mozilla trifecta going on with UXP at the moment where DRM and WebRTC and GMP were made dependent on each other. So initially and until we can undo that if you build one you have to build all three and of course for Pale Moon they are undesirable. So will have to isolate all three together and prevent them from building for Pale Moon. Also, even if the platform can support building EME, Pale Moon's application code does not in any way have a concept of it so it would fail to work in any event. So that has to be prevented from being a situation some idiot with a .mozconfig can do.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Image

== We got to install microwave ovens / Custom kitchen deliveries / We got to move these refrigerators / We got to move these color TVs ==
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/


Return to “Development (discussion)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests