Building a Pale Moon fork for Windows XP

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Thehandyman1957

Re: Building Palemoon 27 for XP

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-24, 23:08

mekineer wrote:In regards to http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/177125- ... oon-for-xp, made by roytam1
and https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases made by fedor2
Are you guys collaborating? If not, then I have no idea how to choose which one would be better, so please collaborate! Thanks for sticking with Windows XP. I'm sure a lot of people have a need for it.
I have tried to follow both just to keep up and I found that the one made by roytam1 is a bit more difficult to install as it's not in a .exe format.

The one made by fedor2 works great and is easy to install. My friend has had it on his XP for a bit now and has had no complaints and he is 82 years old. ;)

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-11-25, 10:36

Quick question: What is the differences between roytam's & feodor?

c-sanchez

Unread post by c-sanchez » 2017-11-27, 18:30

mekineer wrote:In regards to http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/177125- ... oon-for-xp, made by roytam1
Are you guys collaborating? If not, then I have no idea how to choose which one would be better, so please collaborate! Thanks for sticking with Windows XP. I'm sure a lot of people have a need for it.
I don't think any build of roytam's or feodor is better than the other, are "just" palemoon builds working for XP, at least here both is working properly.

Anyway the main difference between both builds is that feodor2 just release builds accord official stable Palemoon version, 27.6, 27.6.1, etc

While roytam1 is releasing builds constantly, based in "dev branch"?
we can check this with: https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/?sort=date&order=desc

both builds works in XP, but is your choise if you want an "nightly build" or an "official stable build"

I'm using builds by feodor2, also the portable mode included in installer is exactly what I was looking for, THANKS FOR THAT Fedor2!
And I'm waiting for some Basilisk build by Fedor2, I prefer install just "stable" releases, anyway any "nightly" build by roytam1 can be stable and good enough :P
Latitude wrote:Quick question: What is the differences between roytam's & feodor?
roytam have an ONE in his nick while Fedor have an TWO. Curious fact :lol:

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-11-29, 01:19

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
I have tried to follow both just to keep up and I found that the one made by roytam1 is a bit more difficult to install as it's not in a .exe format.

The one made by fedor2 works great and is easy to install. My friend has had it on his XP for a bit now and has had no complaints and he is 82 years old. ;)
For using my build is simple, use 7-zip (or some new-ish WinRAR) to unpack the 7z archive and run palemoon.exe to run.

I don't like using an installer everytime updating binaries.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-29, 01:39

roytam1 wrote:For using my build is simple, use 7-zip (or some new-ish WinRAR) to unpack the 7z archive and run palemoon.exe to run.

So does it have to be unpacked where PM would normally be?
Where does it store the Appdata if it does not install?

Perhaps I'm missing something?

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-11-29, 03:04

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
roytam1 wrote:For using my build is simple, use 7-zip (or some new-ish WinRAR) to unpack the 7z archive and run palemoon.exe to run.

So does it have to be unpacked where PM would normally be?
Where does it store the Appdata if it does not install?

Perhaps I'm missing something?
Yes it is just like normal installer build, but without installer.

For portable mode, you'll need portable batch file or portable loader, or just overwriting(updating) normal portable bin files with mine.

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-12-20, 16:31

any one ported UXP yet to XP?

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-12-24, 08:56

KingsMan wrote:any one ported UXP yet to XP?
There is my basilisk XP mod in my MSFN thread.

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-12-26, 14:52

roytam1 wrote:
KingsMan wrote:any one ported UXP yet to XP?
There is my basilisk XP mod in my MSFN thread.
Thanks

LordRevolution123

Unread post by LordRevolution123 » 2018-01-01, 20:04

Hey im new here but i wanted to thank you for this wonderful project and i felt the need to report everything's working fine :D

FlexPM

Unread post by FlexPM » 2018-01-13, 15:39

So great to provide an up-to-date version of PM for Win-XP - Many Thanks for that effort! :clap:
Besides the PM 27.6 on my Linux Partition i'm now able to use the same (or precisely NM 27.6) on the old XP-partition (which still resides peacefully and well working on my disk).

Got the latest version (27.6.2 - 32) from Feodor2 from here: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
and chose the ,portable' mode for the installation: everything works niceley so far - but unfortunately with no media support.
Neither mp3, nor video works after copying the 3 LAV-DLL's (32 Bit: avcodec-lav-57.dll, avresample-lav-3.dll, avutil-lav-55.dll)in Newmoon's main directory (where palemoon.exe resides).
So, to get this precisely: Does the ,portable' LAV-DLL solution (simply copy the 3 DLL's in the working directory) not work with Feodor's version?
Does that only work with roytam1's Version: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/issues/3 or is there an about:config tweak that i still missed?
I'd prefer strongly the idea of the ,portable DLL's' - to keep the whole (well-running) XP-System untouched.

Many Thanks for your answers!
Last edited by FlexPM on 2018-01-13, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-13, 20:32

So have you managed to get all the files with the right subsystem version yet? Cause last I looked you hadn't even gotten that far. Did you decide on branding yet? Cause last I looked you hadn't even..

When are you guys gonna admit you don't actually have a plan or know what you are doing?

You know months ago I offered to help on basic fundamentals and haven't gotten any word.

I been keeping a loose eye on this and I hope others realize this and to not actually depend on this minor rebuild that takes nothing into account.. Just simply unwilling to do the work to get the basics right.

Because I've been where these people are and worked my ass off to make sure every detail was proper.. If I knew then that people would accept THIS .. I wouldn't have bothered so much.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-13, 20:46, edited 5 times in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-13, 20:42

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:So have you managed to get all the files with the right subsystem version yet? Cause last I looked you hadn't even gotten that far. Did you decide on branding yet? Cause last I looked you hadn't even..

When are you guys gonna admit you don't actually have a plan or know what you are doing?

You know months ago I offered to help on basic fundamentals and haven't gotten any word.
If i can be so bold.
There really is no need for such an aggressive attitude as yours.There is no need for it and it just causes ill will.
Knowing when to talk and when to be silent is the key to good diplomacy.
regards.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-13, 20:47

I was silent.. For a good long while.. Now I'm not.

These people need a reality check and they need some help. I could help get them restarted with some basic foundational elements that would at least give them a chance to accomplish their goals in a much more tangible and sustainable way.

All they need do is ask. Remember, I am a free agent now.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-13, 20:53, edited 2 times in total.

visionhelp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by visionhelp » 2018-01-13, 21:30

So . . . may I ask? No, . . ., may I beg?

I love this Pale Moon browser, since I know it, near K-Meleon, which I stopped working with, I just do not remember now, did they stop to support XP?

The last experience: with Facebook it is more than double as fast as Firefox 52. Wow.

I already tried some times to understand the install procedure of NM 27.x for XP.
I had to stop reading.

My impression: this is install procedure of the developers of the parts which have to be done, to let all this parts make work this NM 27 for XP possible. (Sorry, this german, smile.)

That developers do not want to make the work of putting all this part to one easy installable version, I have understatment to this.
But, understand this, please: I am no developer, I am getting mad of having to get this from here and that from there, and this to put here and that to put to there.

This prevents me until today, to do this unoverviewable work of only trying to install.

Is it OK to say it once?

Sorry, yet no question , and yet no begging.
And the "Forum rules" additionly, of this thread, prevents to write such statements. From this I feel I may not write what I wrote.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-13, 22:49

Don't blame Tobin for repeating what I have said much earlier on: you really should get your own branding and make it an official fork of Pale Moon specifically for Windows XP.

Seriously, you take all the steps to get it to build, to fix issues, but you don't take the final step to make it your own and make it something people can be pointed to when they are looking for an XP browser that is modern and updated. DO IT! Put your heads together and come up with a name and a logo/icon for it. Make it official, and make it stand out instead of just being "an unofficial rebuild". Throw together a website on a $5/month hosting plan (if that), or even just make an official github site for it, I don't care, but name it, brand it and publish it. Really, just take credit for your work and put it out there!
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-13, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-13, 23:16

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-14, 04:01

I can offer them some minor hosting.. They can have a small site, build storage, and I can do an AUS script for them for automatic updates.. I can also help them get more sustainable in terms of some key areas they haven't managed to do yet like the subsystem versioning on some of the files that are spit out.. Some key points in regards to pitfalls of targeting XP.. Set up a real github repo that is more than a series of patches one that they can merge from upstream in on..

I also know how branding works and can get it to where they won't have much in the way of merge collision and conflicts.. This is what was offered months ago by proxy but I am offering it directly now.. Cause at this point.. Their unbranded rebuild is pretty incomplete.

But it is up to them.. They can accept some help and advice to make this a real thing.. Or we can stop pretending this is nothing more than a directionless slipshot hackjob.

Either way this is not "Pale Moon 27 for Windows XP" and never was and if they are not going to go to the effort then I see no reason to let them keep benefiting from our infrastructures and facilities like the forum, add-ons site, sync server, blocklist server, etc.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-14, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

Mercury
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Mercury » 2018-01-14, 05:27

If you simply criticize people for their attempt, tell them what they do is not good enough, and act personally offended by their "slipshot hackjob" efforts, do you think they will be eager to accept your "help"? People don't work like that. I won't sign up for a gym membership from a guy who tells me I'm a pathetic, lazy fatass. Only someone with serious self-esteem problems would.

I was glad to find Pale Moon, and I still use it as my main browser. I'm thankful for the team that make it possible. But I have to say the attitude from the devs, and Tobin in particular, is more than unfriendly and demanding... it borders on being toxic.

For the brief time that I made my own, tiny, pathetic contribution, I quickly learned to ignore Tobin's words, as every message from him regarding what I was doing was some kind of complaint or attempt to make me feel inadequate. I don't think there was a single piece of useful information I got from him. I saw the same attitude directed at others. I can't blame anyone for not asking him for his "help".

(I will say that I did get quite a bit of help from Moonchild himself, and his patience with some of my missteps was greatly appreciated. I am sad if I burned my bridges with him with this post.)
Last edited by Mercury on 2018-01-14, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-14, 06:46

Mercury wrote:If you simply criticize people for their attempt,
So I am not allowed to criticize anyone about anything.. Yeah, uhh, that is what some have tried to convince me of.. I of course don't buy it.
Mercury wrote:tell them what they do is not good enough,
Only when that seems to be the case..
Mercury wrote:and act personally offended by their "slipshot hackjob" efforts,
Well I find people who half-ass things especially when it is in any way related to the hard work I have done offensive. Basically, in its current state these builds are like, in my view, a parody of what I worked so hard to do when I did Pale Moon for XP.
Mercury wrote:do you think they will be eager to accept your "help"? People don't work like that. I won't sign up for a gym membership from a guy who tells me I'm a pathetic, lazy fatass. Only someone with serious self-esteem problems would.
If they are eager or not is their decision. However, I don't take well of you implying that any help I would offer is fake. As I said, I have been where they are now and there are legitimate issues with what and how they are doing that they either don't understand yet or just don't care enough to resolve.
Mercury wrote:I was glad to find Pale Moon, and I still use it as my main browser. I'm thankful for the team that make it possible. But I have to say the attitude from the devs, and Tobin in particular, is more than unfriendly and demanding... it borders on being toxic.
I am sorry that you feel that the most purest form of objective truth is toxic to you. Also, when has demanding excellence if not just basic competence become a bad thing in our collective society? Should not everyone strive to do the best job that can possibly be done?
Mercury wrote:For the brief time that I made my own, tiny, pathetic contribution, I quickly learned to ignore Tobin's words, as every message from him regarding what I was doing was some kind of complaint or attempt to make me feel inadequate. I don't think there was a single piece of useful information I got from him. I saw the same attitude directed at others. I can't blame anyone for not asking him for his "help".
When you were making your rebuild you used insane optimizations that both I and Moonchild, who had already been through this with Pale Moon for XP and Pale Moon for Atom respectively, had determined to be detrimental when running them both on an NT 5x system and when running NT 5x targeted code on NT 6x. Nothing I told you or advised you to do was out of line or anything that others who knew better told you.

You, in the face of this decided to ignore the information. You were told you would therefor have to support your users yourself if not using sane optimization flags. You responded by saying you had NO intention of supporting the users who used your rebuild. Then Tycho happened, and unlike the people who are doing this XP build, YOU couldn't work out how to get Tycho to build for XP for use in your SSE builds. So you just up and quit.. Leaving your unsupported users to have go find other alternatives with very little forewarning.

This is all a matter of public record and cannot be disputed.

----

NOW, as far as THIS XP build is concerned.. I have offered my help at no cost to anyone to help them be more successful.. Back when this began I was totally against their little project but later thought.. I'll keep a watch and see where it goes.. I did.. It has gone basically no where and the situation hasn't improved.. So in a single stroke, I provided a reality check which may have been harsh but truthful and factually accurate and I offered my help, which I have been debating if I should or not.

They can take it.. OR Leave it.. I don't care beyond how their builds and their users reflect back on Pale Moon.

----

As for you Mercury, you can join Dnes in the pool of people who make bad decisions and get mad at me when I point out that you make bad decisions. One of these days, if pushed too far, I may simply.. stop. Pray that doesn't happen before the work ahead of me is complete..
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-14, 06:50, edited 2 times in total.