Building a Pale Moon fork for Windows XP

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
roytam1

Re: Building Palemoon 27 for XP

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-30, 14:14

KingsMan wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
Fedor2 wrote:Well i think you should not post here about that. This is for development only. For support go to my page.
Off-topic:
But i do answer once: assuming you not on winxp right now, you can switch to it of course, but is there a point of h264 on your machine? I think not
h264 in my not so old AMD cpu 3.5 hz, radeon2400, no acceleration.
360p - 38% cpu
720p - 75% cpu
What about posting binaries?
Posting binaries in github issue page doesn't seem making sense.
Those old beasts will outshine if you add 4GB Ram, A SSD and A GT730 GFX card

roytam1: Your x64 build does work on XPx64
can you test if 64bit portable LAV libraries is working as well? (youtube.com/html5 will tell you)

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-09-30, 14:45

Fedor2: Could you also add support for roytams portable LAV filters to New Moon?

http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/lav.7z
http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/lav64.7z

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-09-30, 14:49

roytam1 wrote:
KingsMan wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
Fedor2 wrote:Well i think you should not post here about that. This is for development only. For support go to my page.
Off-topic:
But i do answer once: assuming you not on winxp right now, you can switch to it of course, but is there a point of h264 on your machine? I think not
360p - 38% cpu
720p - 75% cpu

can you test if 64bit portable LAV libraries is working as well? (youtube.com/html5 will tell you)
Yes it does work . I tried some h264 test it is working. Surely for the link you provided[youtube test page vp9 doesn't work that's fine but h264 is functional ] .even I can play h264 videos.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-30, 15:11

petrus wrote:Fedor2: Could you also add support for roytams portable LAV filters to New Moon?

http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/lav.7z
http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/lav64.7z
I already created ticket on his github page.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-30, 15:12

KingsMan wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
KingsMan wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
Off-topic:
360p - 38% cpu
720p - 75% cpu

Yes it does work . I tried some h264 test it is working. Surely for the link you provided[youtube test page vp9 doesn't work that's fine but h264 is functional ] .even I can play h264 videos.
for VP9 support, that requires Fedor2's work on extending LAV support to VP9(LAV Filters already supports decoding VP9 BTW).

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-09-30, 16:40

It will be awesome if he does.
Does PM official build support vp9?
It seems to me that industry slowly moving to h265 .
roytam1 : what Dibya Is doing over msfn? Sorry for offtopic. Profile picture is saying he is my old guy Dibya. Does he still develop directx10/11 patches? Can you confirm me plz whether he is Dibyamartanda Samanta? I will join msfn forum , just to talk with him. Sorry for all this trouble.

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-10-01, 06:21

Lav Filters has h265 support .
their are following video codecs in html5
MPEG-4 ASP
H.264
H.265
Ogg Theora
WebM with VP8
WebM with VP9
their are following Audio codecs in html5
PCM audio support
MP3 support
AAC support
Dolby Digital support
Dolby Digital Plus support
Ogg Vorbis support
Ogg Opus support
WebM with Vorbis support
WebM with Opus support

more over palemoon doesn't have WebGL 2 support

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-01, 09:39

KingsMan wrote:Does PM official build support vp9?
Yes it does and it has for a long time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-10-01, 12:15

Thanks Mr Moonchild. We have to get it work using lav fliters :thumbup: .

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-10-02, 03:34

KingsMan wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
KingsMan wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
Off-topic:
360p - 38% cpu
720p - 75% cpu

VP9 seems working in XP as well.

Unchecking async MSE makes youtube shows MSE & WebM VP9 available in youtube.com/html5
see: viewtopic.php?t=16433

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-10-04, 15:07

BTW my builds have a thread in msfn: goo.gl/SGPMj3
New binaries are available there.

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-10-06, 12:45

:clap: I have tested your latest x64 build it is fantastic.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-10-06, 16:50

I keep update my github, watch wiki.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-08, 12:36

Moonchild wrote: Of course, you are still in the clear redistributing what you build, even with official branding, as long as you don't significantly change the configuration for the user. Do note, however, that you will be responsible yourself, in that case, for providing user support, so making clear it's a 3rd party build is essential.
What if he doesn't provide actual user support, for one reason or other, or isn't able to follow it up after some time?

I am asking just in case. I might be trying on something similar myself at one time or other but have no idea how much commitment exactly is expected of you if you make available a build you make yourself.

NT Five

Unread post by NT Five » 2017-10-12, 01:56

Just discovered this thread...
Great job guys !

I was getting nervous about browser support for Win XP / h264 on YouTube and I see you fixed the problem.
Would love to help, but I'm lacking coding skills and I am also lacking time to start new projects at the moment.

New Moon is running fine on my netbook, but CPU is around 80-100% when playing video on YouTube.
I guess this is normal on my obsolete low-end machine.
CPU usage seems slightly lower than Firefox 52 so I am happy.
It would be nice to find some kind of code optimisation trick to bring the CPU usage down a bit but I'm afraid web pages are just getting more ressource hungry and soon my netbooks will be useless for accessing the internet.

I've had some sporadic crashes, but no serious issues.
Cheers.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-10-12, 04:23

NT Five wrote:Just discovered this thread...
Great job guys !

I was getting nervous about browser support for Win XP / h264 on YouTube and I see you fixed the problem.
Would love to help, but I'm lacking coding skills and I am also lacking time to start new projects at the moment.

New Moon is running fine on my netbook, but CPU is around 80-100% when playing video on YouTube.
I guess this is normal on my obsolete low-end machine.
CPU usage seems slightly lower than Firefox 52 so I am happy.
It would be nice to find some kind of code optimisation trick to bring the CPU usage down a bit but I'm afraid web pages are just getting more ressource hungry and soon my netbooks will be useless for accessing the internet.

I've had some sporadic crashes, but no serious issues.
Cheers.
for crashes, please try Fedor2's build to see if there is less crashes as my build have some speed optimizations that might cause crash to users.

c-sanchez

Unread post by c-sanchez » 2017-10-12, 04:51

@Fedor2 please, can you add in the installer an option as "Portable installation"?

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-10-12, 15:38

Fedor2 Released new build Check it out

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-10-23, 16:20

How to add ublockorigin to source code?

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2017-10-23, 22:07

KingsMan wrote:How to add ublockorigin to source code?
I am assuming you want to add uBlock Origin to Pale Moon. uBlock Origin is an add-on for Pale Moon. There are quite a few topics discussing uBlock Origin on this forum already, but to summarize those topics and answer your question, I offer the following.

You can install uBlock Origin & uMatrix Updater by JustOff by going here: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/
This will keep you up-to-date on the latest releases of uBlock Origin.

Or you can go to the uBlock Origin website at https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
Choose the version you want to install, then click on the file named: uBlock0.firefox.xpi to install this add-on in Pale Moon.