Building a Pale Moon fork for Windows XP

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Fedor2

Re: Building Palemoon 27 for XP

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-08-03, 18:05

Now we have settled that matter and can consider about binaries.
First if you want me to begin release binaries and update it you are to vote it. It has to be amount of it, because i have many other things to do, instead of releasing for one or two person. Let it will be as private message.

Second it is to be other place for that, and not this forum, where you can ask support and else. Yet to be founded. Suggest me in private as well.

Here i shell continue to put only tips for building on your own.

QueenXP

Unread post by QueenXP » 2017-08-05, 07:06

Fedor2 , can i join your group ?
Here two codecs that can play certain video format you need .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X265
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264
More over video playback speed of K Meleon seems to be better than both FF and PM , I wish if it can be adopted in new moon .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-05, 07:08

By the way, if you want to offer full media capabilities on XP, you should probably look into using DirectPlay for all media formats.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

QueenXP

Unread post by QueenXP » 2017-08-05, 07:15

Thats a good idea Mr MoonChild as XP lacks full MediaFoundation(Half backed one came with media player 11).
Fedor2
Here a better GetTickCount64 implementation for you....
WINAPI
GetTickCount64(VOID)
{
- ULARGE_INTEGER TickCount;
+ LARGE_INTEGER counter, frequency;
+
+ NtQueryPerformanceCounter( &counter, &frequency );
+ return counter.QuadPart * 1000 / frequency.QuadPart;
+ // ULARGE_INTEGER TickCount;

- while (TRUE)
- {
- TickCount.HighPart = (ULONG)SharedUserData->TickCount.High1Time;
- TickCount.LowPart = SharedUserData->TickCount.LowPart;
+ // while (TRUE)
+ // {
+ // TickCount.HighPart = (ULONG)SharedUserData->TickCount.High1Time;
+ // TickCount.LowPart = SharedUserData->TickCount.LowPart;

- if (TickCount.HighPart == (ULONG)SharedUserData->TickCount.High2Time) break;
+ // if (TickCount.HighPart == (ULONG)SharedUserData->TickCount.High2Time) break;

- YieldProcessor();
- }
+ // YieldProcessor();
+ // }

- return (UInt32x32To64(TickCount.LowPart, SharedUserData->TickCountMultiplier) >> 24) +
- (UInt32x32To64(TickCount.HighPart, SharedUserData->TickCountMultiplier) << 8);
+ // return (UInt32x32To64(TickCount.LowPart, SharedUserData->TickCountMultiplier) >> 24) +
+ // (UInt32x32To64(TickCount.HighPart, SharedUserData->TickCountMultiplier) << 8);
+}
+
+DWORD
+WINAPI
+GetTickCount(VOID)
+{
+ return GetTickCount64();
}

// /*

In future if you need codes for more api here is a opensoarce project to help you https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Core-Api
Just My 2 Cents
Hope you will be helped . Lots of people here in UK waiting for NewMoon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-05, 07:26

You could have just linked to https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Co ... 8dd6a51db6 instead of pasting a raw diff in your post ;)

(Honestly I don't see how querying the performance API is going to give you an accurate tick count or in what way this slower query would be better than using already-available shared data. And then aliasing the normal GetTickCount to it...? They are different functions for a reason...)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

QueenXP

Unread post by QueenXP » 2017-08-05, 08:29

Ahh! That Silly me but I wish the browser to be KicKASS !!
One more idea if the Downloader can be improved so that we can have acceleration like IDM or Free download manager !!
I know Vc++ hope if you people allow me to entry !!
Anyway I am just a first year engineering student from Yorkshire.
FF is getting God Dammed everyday as it is moving to new engine ( May be they say it servo most probably ) > What is wrong with GECKO ?

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-08-14, 05:18

Looking Forward to NEWMOON !!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-20, 07:34

You may also want to let the ReactOS people know once you've got a working version. Looks like they finally fixed the font issue in their OS without which any browser would be almost useless for the modern web -- and they are sticking with an NT5/XP alike kernel; it might work.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-13, 01:02

Looking Forward to NewMoon! BTW does it really named "NewMoon"?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-13, 07:31

roytam1 wrote:Looking Forward to NewMoon! BTW does it really named "NewMoon"?
That is entirely up to the people doing this! I'd suggest giving it its own branding, which isn't that hard to do, but it's up to y'all.

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-09-13, 15:00

To repeat my name suggestion: Xale Poon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-13, 23:31

petrus wrote:To repeat my name suggestion: Xale Poon
Doesn't really make for an easy to remember (or pronounce) name, does it?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-09-14, 00:28

I was thinking the same thing. :lol: Say that one three times fast. :shock:

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-09-14, 12:30

And in case anyone's not aware, Poon isn't exactly a product-worthy name: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poon
Unless the product has to do with something of that nature I suppose.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-09-14, 17:13

eskaton023 wrote:And in case anyone's not aware, Poon isn't exactly a product-worthy name: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poon
Unless the product has to do with something of that nature I suppose.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: Wow, it really pays to looks stuff up huh. :mrgreen:

ReyZie93
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ReyZie93 » 2017-09-19, 08:33

My suggestion is "Pale Neptune" or "Neptune", or another planet.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-21, 03:05

ReyZie93 wrote:My suggestion is "Pale Neptune" or "Neptune", or another planet.
Maybe we can have "Pale Mimas" (Mimas is a moon of Saturn)

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-22, 15:47

Anyway I built my own 27.4.2 with patches in #1 and replaced GetTickCount64() with dynamic loading NtQueryPerformanceCounter() like One-Core-Api does (with --disable-skia and bundled New Moon branding, nothing else changed)
http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/palemoon-27.4.2-unofficial-xp.7z

hotnuma
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by hotnuma » 2017-09-22, 16:59

Thanks a lot Fedor2 and Roytam1 for the efforts to provide this very nice browser for XP.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-22, 23:31

Fedor2 wrote:It can be done the same way as was for 26. Only more code editing. You will have the same Palemoon as original with New moon name.

1. First read there a general build instruction.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13556
Unfortunately VS2013 wont install on XP, so you must have newer windows. That why i want make it bulding under mingw.
2. Get source code from github
3. Do editting, according following entries, probably you can make and apply them as patch.
4. Compile, mozconfig is regular as of [1]. And i added new option too --disable-skia, use it if you know why.
I opened a ticket asking for H264 video support in https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/issues/1 as you don't include it in your patch but it exists in your binary! :)