Building a Pale Moon fork for Windows XP

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Fedor2

Re: Building Palemoon 27 for XP

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-09-22, 23:47

All will be there soon including h264

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-22, 23:50

I think trying to use the mingw toolchain as a compiler will give you terrible performance in the resulting binary. You should build on a later windows and just TARGET Windows XP.
If none of you really have access to at least one Windows 7 machine, I can see about playing buildbot for you, but try to work something out.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-23, 14:32

Fedor2 wrote:All will be there soon including h264
There seems to be a bug with msfn's ckeditor:
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/issues/2

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-09-24, 15:49

Moonchild wrote:mingw toolchain as a compiler will give you terrible performance in the resulting binary
i do not have working mingw build for today, so now i see why linux version has considerably bad performance comparing with windows, uh that's bad. Do you make linux builds with see2 and other similar compiler options as windows?

roytam1
I watch my github page too no need to duplicate.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-09-24, 21:58

Off-topic:
Fedor2 wrote:now i see why linux version has considerably bad performance comparing with windows, uh that's bad. Do you make linux builds with see2 and other similar compiler options as windows?
Release Linux builds use SSE2 and similar compiler optimizations as Windows. Comparing the Linux releases to Windows releases (on the occasions I have access to a Windows machine) I don't see the Linux version performing considerably bad.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-24, 23:24

Fedor2 wrote:now i see why linux version has considerably bad performance comparing with windows, uh that's bad
Not sure what you're going on about here. Linux versions of Pale Moon perform just fine. I was talking about using the mingw toolchain on Windows, when compared to MSVC.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

theelf

Unread post by theelf » 2017-09-25, 21:29

roytam1 wrote:Anyway I built my own 27.4.2 with patches in #1 and replaced GetTickCount64() with dynamic loading NtQueryPerformanceCounter() like One-Core-Api does (with --disable-skia and bundled New Moon branding, nothing else changed)
http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/palemoon-27.4.2-unofficial-xp.7z
Thanks a lot! im using in my XP x64 PC right now, and is working great, even all my plugins

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-09-26, 01:54

My i7 6950X has VS2015 so I don't want to change it .
does i3 3rd gen , Windows 8.1 x64 with 8Gb can be used for building PM?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-26, 07:34

Of note, you can have multiple versions of VS installed on the same system without problems (I have VS2013 and VS2015 installed side by side, for example).
KingsMan wrote:does i3 3rd gen , Windows 8.1 x64 with 8Gb can be used for building PM?
Shouldn't be a problem.

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2017-09-26, 13:37

Thanks I will install vs2013 update 2 side by side .

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-09-26, 13:53

Bravo, thanks & slow clap! Even YouTube plays out of the box:

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-26, 14:22

petrus wrote:Bravo, thanks & slow clap! Even YouTube plays out of the box:
H264 patch is not released.
So you're watching WebM version of clip.
For those clips not providing WebM version, you'll get a TV noise screen with error message.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-09-26, 20:43

Stupid question? Where are you posting these versions? :problem:

Is there an official site for this brand yet?

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-09-27, 21:38

MoonMadness

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2017-09-27, 22:40

Where can it be downloaded pre-compiled and ready to install (or even to extract)?

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2017-09-27, 23:08

MoonMadness wrote:Where can it be downloaded pre-compiled and ready to install (or even to extract)?
click the wiki button

MoonMadness

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2017-09-27, 23:12

Thank you muchly. I'll try it on an old XP notebook tonight.
:)

c-sanchez

Unread post by c-sanchez » 2017-09-28, 03:08

roytam1 wrote:Anyway I built my own 27.4.2 with patches in #1 and replaced GetTickCount64() with dynamic loading NtQueryPerformanceCounter() like One-Core-Api does (with --disable-skia and bundled New Moon branding, nothing else changed)
http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/palemoon-27.4.2-unofficial-xp.7z
Thanks a bunch for that, now I have an new default Browser for my XP :thumbup:

I have some doubts, to don't make more topic i will hace quickl here :P
1. Fedor2 and roytam1 is making your own XP builds? some difference?
2. How I can use Pale Moon in portable mode? ie, save browser profile data in same browser folder.
3. Some way to add the "Mute/Unmute tab" option on context menu of tabs in Pale Moon?
4. Instead open a the Downloads window I want open the "about:downloads" option (in a new tab) pressing "Show all downloads" from context menu of downloads icon, is possible set this on pale moon?

If you think I should better create a topic dedicated to all that, let me know.

about name ideas, why not something like "Tale Moon", you know, think on Pale Moon 27 in XP was things from an tale hehe.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-09-29, 00:45

Watch my github page
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal
For now it is no difference with regular Pale moon except H264 support for xp based on lavsplitter ffmpeg. Things about tabs you can do same way as for original.

theelf

Unread post by theelf » 2017-09-29, 01:00

Fedor2 wrote:Watch my github page
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal
For now it is no difference with regular Pale moon except H264 support for xp based on lavsplitter ffmpeg. Things about tabs you can do same way as for original.
Hi, thanks a lot for the work, any binary for download with the h264 support?

I have a question, youtube works fine in normal mode, but when i go fullscreen, the status bar is always visible in left corner (This problems not happen in latest official palemoon), and is too slow, like is not using hardware acceleration.

Same happen in my desktop and laptop, both have a intel GMA950, desktop is a C2D 2ghz, laptop pentium M 1ghz

Youtube in firefox 52 works fine, no problem in fullscreen

Thanks a lot