Linux Gtk+ 3

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Linux Gtk+ 3

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2017-05-02, 04:26

Hi,

are there any plans to move PM to Gtk+ 3?

Personally I avoid Gtk+ 3 as much as possible, still it seems it will be unavoidable some time in the future.

On the other hand, those people that have no problem with Gtk+ 3 might find PM less attractive without Gtk+ 3 support.

Thanks

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Linux Gtk+ 3

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-05-02, 04:49

It is on the roadmap, but there is no time frame as to when it will be done as we currently do not have anyone working on it.

That said, our current GTK2 support will not be removed or broken at any time in the foreseeable future.

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2017-05-02, 11:56

Hi,
trava90 wrote:That said, our current GTK2 support will not be removed or broken at any time in the foreseeable future.
thanks that is good to hear. My plan was to try to solve the annoyances of Gtk+ 3 sometimes, and if not possible stick with Mint 17.3 till the end of support (2019) and then decide what to do. ;)

As long as PM keeps support for Gtk+ 2 til 2019 I am happy. ;)

Cheers

testator777

Unread post by testator777 » 2017-05-02, 23:34

Tell me of these annoyances for I experience them not or am oblivious.

GTK+ 3.* is nice in my opinion because of wayland, performance, and eye candy possibilities. Nice for 'security' too and the widget customization is very handy. My gtk2 apps integrate nicely with my gtk3 ones I just had to find a theme built for both.

I'm lazy though so probabbly not. Any (ex)users of firefox with gtk3 have any comments about how well it works? Might take a look/copy if it did work effectively and wasn't all spaghetti code. If I did port gtk3 would it need to work(be portable, compile/run, and display correctly) on windows to be accepted into the main branch?
Off-topic:
I wonder if I should run all of palemoon through valgrind now

hundone

Unread post by hundone » 2017-06-21, 16:45

GTK3 is made by GNOME for GNOME. If you use GNOME or any DE based on GNOME, it might work and feel alright. But for us who doesn't, it looks and behave like shit.

Sticking with GTK2 used to be part of the sails talk for Pale Moon. It's sad to see they're not sticking to it.

I guess it's time to look for alternatives. :)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-06-21, 19:28

Please re-read the announcement. The UXP platform and applications built from it will use and primarily focus on GTK3. Pale Moon will remain a GTK2 application for the time being. But that being said, do note my post above.

hundone

Unread post by hundone » 2017-06-21, 20:01

Oh, I see. :) Sorry!

sgage
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by sgage » 2017-06-21, 23:48

hundone wrote:I guess it's time to look for alternatives. :)
Well, there's this outfit in Redmond, WA USA that's been working on a thing called 'Windows' for quite some time. I think it might have even reached stable release. PM works great on it. ;)

hundone

Unread post by hundone » 2017-06-21, 23:58

sgage wrote:
hundone wrote:I guess it's time to look for alternatives. :)
Well, there's this outfit in Redmond, WA USA that's been working on a thing called 'Windows' for quite some time. I think it might have even reached stable release. PM works great on it. ;)
Haha! I can't beat that comeback. :D I'll never switch to Windows! I dislike it as much as GTK3. That's why I hope Pale Moon will stay on GTK2 for a very long time.