Branding design contest discussions

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
CharmCityCrab

Re: Branding design contest discussions

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-05-12, 20:03

I didn't include Basilisk on my lists of favorites because snake and snake-like creates creep me out. It's an excellent logo and design with a good legend behind it (The Basilisk is a mythical or legendary reptile that... Well, anyone can read Wikipedia as well as I did, no point in retyping it in my own words. ;) ), though.

So, I would say on that, just dispassionately, the question I would have from a branding standpoint is do snake-like things creep enough people out that it'd hurt the browser's chances of gaining the largest possible audience and the highest possible positive brand appeal and attachment levels? That's not a leading question. I have no idea. Some people probably think snakes are cool and even keep them as pets. Other people are creeped out by them. I don't know what the percentages are.

The tertiary thing there I think would be, of the people who are creeped out by snakes (and we've got to think wider audience, not just the forum), how many would hesitate to download the browser and/or make it their primary browser and/or form a positive brand attachment. That's worth considering, too. I know I'll download whatever they come up with and mess around it with it regardless of branding, but I can see myself getting attached to the Orange branding (As an example) more than the Basilik branding.

I may not be representative, though, and also I am likely to keep Pale Moon as my main browser (I really don't like Firefox's current UI, which I assume the new browser will be similar to [That back arrow welded on to the URL bar really gets to me for some reason- I really especially hate that element. I know that's totally random and arbitrary on my part. But despite all that, if the creator of Pale Moon invents a new browser, I'll download it and mess around with it, at least. He has a solid track record with me and I'm interested in new stuff. :) ), so I am probably not the target audience (Though I am supportive of the project and see it as eventually benefiting both Pale Moon and the overall Internet ecosystem if it is wildly successful). And there's no question in my mind that the Basilek branding is good from the standpoint of professionalism and being well thought out and imagined visually- it's just a question of how many people like snakes. ;)

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-05-12, 20:37

CharmCityCrab wrote: Orange- This is I think the hippest most cool modern looking branding of the bunch. I think this is a brand that could attract new users beyond the sphere of just Firefox or Pale Moon fans. It's the type of thing I could see Google or Apple coming up with.
I disagree. The goal of Orange is to follow a design trend, but it actually does not follow material/fluent design guidelines. It retains the dislike of modern designs, without the benefits. There is more inspiration than simply flatness in design these days, such as color vibrance and shadows. I do think this direction is the correct direction, but it would need to learn and utilize the design principles of material/fluent design to be successful in its goal of fitting in with modern design.

Basilisk seems to easily be the most solid of the bunch. I do think that there is some merit to the reptilian distaste possibility though. I know that I have no interest in having a spider plant as a houseplant simply due to the name, despite them easily being one of the best choices.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-05-12, 23:13

adisib wrote:
CharmCityCrab wrote: Orange- This is I think the hippest most cool modern looking branding of the bunch. I think this is a brand that could attract new users beyond the sphere of just Firefox or Pale Moon fans. It's the type of thing I could see Google or Apple coming up with.
I disagree. The goal of Orange is to follow a design trend, but it actually does not follow material/fluent design guidelines. It retains the dislike of modern designs, without the benefits. There is more inspiration than simply flatness in design these days, such as color vibrance and shadows. I do think this direction is the correct direction, but it would need to learn and utilize the design principles of material/fluent design to be successful in its goal of fitting in with modern design.
Your opinion is of course entirely valid. Aesthetics is totally subjective. Worth noting, though, I think, is that since this browser is likely going to be made for use on Windows and Linux, and not on Android initially, how well it truly fits into Android's Material design principles is not necessarily an issue in so far as that it's not actually going to be integrating with that operating system (Initially, anyway. In the future, who knows, but if the time ever comes where they make an Android version, Android may be on to another design aesthetic, or perhaps the logo could be evolved to fit it better or whatever by the time that comes. A browser's first logo is not always it's last logo.). In that sense, it's just as valid to have something that is sort of like it and sort of different than something that maintains rigid compliance. On a Windows or Linux desktop, it's going to just be judged in it's own context and not side by side with Android apps and UIs that follow that design scheme (Although that of course doesn't mean that individuals can't say they don't like it because they want something more similar to Material design- of course individuals can prefer that if that's what they prefer :) ).

Having said that, I wonder if these designs are a take it or leave it type thing or if whichever browser is chosen by MoonChild or wins the vote or whatever the mechanism for winning the contest is is going to be automatically taken "as-is", or if the developers reserve the right to award a winner and pay out the prize money or whatever, and then tweak the design a little bit before releasing the browser. Maybe the vibrancy and shadows or whatever could be added later.

To be totally honest, though, I don't really understand computer design very well. I only have a very vague idea of what adding vibrancy would mean. :) I just see something like Orange (The specific design here, not the color in general) and think "I like it". :) I can see why someone who understands this field better might pick up on nuances that I miss or that the presence or absence of don't bother me.

davepoth

Unread post by davepoth » 2017-05-13, 11:29

I'm rubbish at drawing, but I trawled through the thread and couldn't find anyone suggesting Borealis which seems quite a good one to me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-13, 12:08

CharmCityCrab wrote:Having said that, I wonder if these designs are a take it or leave it type thing or if whichever browser is chosen by MoonChild or wins the vote or whatever the mechanism for winning the contest is is going to be automatically taken "as-is", or if the developers reserve the right to award a winner and pay out the prize money or whatever, and then tweak the design a little bit before releasing the browser. Maybe the vibrancy and shadows or whatever could be added later.
Of course I reserve the right to do whatever should be desired or required. That's one point of signing over all rights to me when you submit your entry (aside from necessary exclusivity).
That being said though, the designs as-is should be complete and polished. That includes proper thought of shape, colors, combination, feel and the design being finished for use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-05-13, 18:36

CharmCityCrab wrote:So far I think I'd rate, of the ones actually submitted on the official submission thread, these as my top four:

1. Orange- This is I think the hippest most cool modern looking branding of the bunch. I think this is a brand that could attract new users beyond the sphere of just Firefox or Pale Moon fans. It's the type of thing I could see Google or Apple coming up with. Maybe more Apple than Google, honestly- even though it's kind of based on Google's Material Design feel.
This is my current favorite as well. I liked the flat design of Basilisk but Orange is more modern and the font is better.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-14, 02:43

Moonchild wrote: As a more important critical point: of the actually submitted designs in the submission thread, only 2 people so far have provided the requested design files via PM or e-mail.
Please understand that if you do not supply the actual design files as requested, then your entry does not qualify for selection.
In my case, it is because I am having trouble getting this into the form you want.

Maybe someone familiar with GIMP can help me?
Would an xcf file be acceptable?

EDIT: I zipped up the GIMP XCF design files and the PNG files that I had. I hope that will suffice since I was not able to convert to SVG. (If these will not suffice, then please let me know.)
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-05-14, 04:30, edited 3 times in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-14, 04:09

van p wrote:First, Ailuros. Nobody will know how to pronounce it, and nobody will know what it means. If it has to be explained, maybe that's a bad starting point.
Hello, that is my submission.
Ailuros sounds like this in French and this in English (American).

Perhaps you have heard of ailurophobia (the fear of cats) ? You could make the first syllable rhyme with "eye" or rhyme with "hey" in English, but I think "eye" is preferred (as I have usually heard "ailurophobia").

The word "Ubuntu" had to explained. And I have heard people say both U-BOON-tu and U-BUNT-u and other variants in English for Ubuntu, and yet somehow everyone knows what they are talking about, and they keep installing that Linux distro.

Hope this helps. :)
Off-topic:
An alternative name for the deity is Bastet, so that could be an alternate name for the browser (?) if the judge decides he likes my submission but not the name so much. But I like the name.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-05-14, 16:28

gracious1, first, let me say that I do like your design/logo. My opinion is it should be attractive and "catch" the eye; yours does that.

Concerning your comments about the name, I think you're proving my point. Most people aren't going to care about the theory, meaning, or background. They just want something they can pronounce, if not understand.

Concerning Ubuntu, I think techies just want a functional alternative to Microsoft/Windows. You could probably call it anything, and if it works they'll go for it.

Just my thoughts on the matter. (And I agree with CharmCityCrab; can we get away from snakes and lizards (nuthin' against Moonchild)--what about puppies?)
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-14, 17:48

I think the pronunciation is not a big deal. The big deal is getting GIMP to export SVG, which apparently is like trying to repair the S.S. Minnow in Gilligan's Island. Peace out. Ailuros.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-14, 23:40

I think I did it. :coffee: