Branding design contest discussions

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Lunix

Re: Branding design contest discussions

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-04-29, 20:24

If we need one word, rather than a new name how about just rebranding to "Palemoon"? A lot of people already think it's Palemoon anyway.

Lunix

Re: Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-04-29, 20:26

Moonchild wrote:My own entry here, a more stylized, simple logo with the name "Basilisk".
bas-icon-sq300.png

The name both drawing on the reptilian background (Goanna) and the obvious mythical background of a serpent or dragon.
Since the browser will likely appeal more to current-day Firefox users, a simpler logo that blends well with the monochrome web world of today seemed to be the better choice here.

Mainlogo color #159677
Wordmark being red (#a92b27), font Maiandra GD, normal.
I like this very much.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-29, 23:10

Lunix wrote:If we need one word, rather than a new name how about just rebranding to "Palemoon"? A lot of people already think it's Palemoon anyway.

Yes, the spelling distinction will probably be lost on almost everybody. (I didn't catch it when I first read your post.)
Read starting from here and whatever responses that follow responding to that post. It applies as much to suggestion of "Palemoon" as "Pale Moon."

The stated plan is for two browsers developed in parallel. Your suggestion implies it should be otherwise.

Speaking personally... Some of us who use and appreciate the current Pale Moon might not appreciate having it supplanted by the second project.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-05-01, 01:38

coffeebreak wrote:
Lunix wrote:If we need one word, rather than a new name how about just rebranding to "Palemoon"? A lot of people already think it's Palemoon anyway.

Yes, the spelling distinction will probably be lost on almost everybody. (I didn't catch it when I first read your post.)
Read starting from here and whatever responses that follow responding to that post. It applies as much to suggestion of "Palemoon" as "Pale Moon."

The stated plan is for two browsers developed in parallel. Your suggestion implies it should be otherwise.

Speaking personally... Some of us who use and appreciate the current Pale Moon might not appreciate having it supplanted by the second project.
Rebrand the original to Palemoon.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-01, 07:40

Lunix wrote:...how about just rebranding to "Palemoon"?
and
Lunix wrote:Rebrand the original to Palemoon.
[all emphasis added]
My bad. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-01, 10:53

Off-topic:
I'm not going to re-brand Pale Moon to Palemoon just because some whingers still live in the early '90s and don't want to use a space in a path that they don't even need to enter manually.
And you guys still aren't reading.
This branding is not for Pale Moon. It is for a new, Firefox-Australis-based browser that will not replace Pale Moon but live alongside it.

I say again

This branding is not for Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2017-05-01, 11:19

I'm trying to think along the lines of "Avoiding XUL-ageddon". But that sounds more like advertising than branding. I'll get back to you.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-01, 14:22

Moonchild wrote:And you guys still aren't reading.
This branding is not for Pale Moon. It is for a new, Firefox-Australis-based browser that will not replace Pale Moon but live alongside it.

Moonchild, I'm not "not reading" and don't "not understand."

I misread another person's post and responded to him/her based on implications of that misreading. That individual (Lunix) straightened me out. I responded to acknowledge my misreading of his/her post. That acknowledgement didn't mean, or even imply, that I think this contest is to rebrand or replace Pale Moon. It wasn't a comment yea or nay, or anything, on the suggestion itself. Just an acknowledgment that I'd misread it.

I do believe that Lunix' post (that I misread) was simply a side comment with implied offtopic tags to those posts on the previous page about spaces in names. So would like to suggest, if it's acceptable to Lunix, and if mods can find the time, that the four posts in our interchange simply get put in offtopic tags, which might help clarify its nature.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-05-01, 15:41

Well, my mistake. I didn't think it was off topic because I was answering "must be one word." Also there are two topics for the same subject matters and I was deleted from the other one for saying that I liked Moonchild's "Basilisk" design so I figured this was the discussion topic and the other was the contest.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-05-01, 16:10

Moonchild wrote:
Off-topic:
I'm not going to re-brand Pale Moon to Palemoon just because some whingers still live in the early '90s and don't want to use a space in a path that they don't even need to enter manually.

I say again

So im assuming the new browser will take precedence and pale moon as we know it will be shelved.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

filip

Unread post by filip » 2017-05-01, 16:20

Moonraker wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
Off-topic:

I say again

So im assuming the new browser will take precedence and pale moon as we know it will be shelved.
Off-topic:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15505
What will this mean for Pale Moon?

Ultimately, this will mean very little for the browser. Pale Moon will remain Pale Moon and we will continue to develop and improve the browser application as normal. There will be regular updates to improve the browser and continue on the path we are on, solving known issues, tackling web compatibilities where feasible. Expect continued development on our media playback and implementation of web standards.

[snip]

This forked platform code can then form the basis for a current-day Firefox-derived browser (which will be published along with the first publication of this platform-in-progress), offering an alternative for current Firefox users to continue using their browser the way they are used to, with all their extensions supported. This platform can be used by other applications currently building on Mozilla code, as well, including Thunderbird, Instantbird, SeaMonkey, and also Pale Moon down the road.
In short, both browsers will be developed in parallel, and most importantly, PM as we know it will remain the same ( no Australis etc. )!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-01, 16:42

Off-topic:
Lunix wrote:Well, my mistake. I didn't think it was off topic because I was answering "must be one word." Also there are two topics for the same subject matters and I was deleted from the other one for saying that I liked Moonchild's "Basilisk" design so I figured this was the discussion topic and the other was the contest.
Yes, this is the discussion topic, the other being the contest.
(Your "deleted" post got moved here to the discussion thread, it's second from top of this page. But you may already know that.)

The contest is for name/logo for the second, not-yet-existing browser. Purely. "Must be one word" concerns just the new browser. Guess my real misunderstanding was that I thought you already knew that when you had posted.

PS: Check the post above mine.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-05-01, 17:46

Thanks, I did not see that my post had been moved. I also see that I was called a "whiner" for suggesting Palemoon as one word.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-01, 18:17

Off-topic:
Lunix wrote:I also see that I was called a "whiner" for suggesting Palemoon as one word.

Nah, you weren't. Truly.
I believe there's a long history of strong opinion, strongly expressed, (for reasons that I don't know) concerning names that contain spaces. And that history has generated aggravation. But it's nothing to do with your suggestion, which was certainly well intended. :)

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-05-01, 20:44

You're right, coffeebreak. Moonchild was talking about the people I mentioned who "already think it's Palemoon" as the whiners.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-02, 02:43

Off-topic:
Quit putting words in my mouth or finding ways to make what I say applicable to you.

I was talking about the people who insist that "spaces in path names are evil and should be shunned to the point where a piece of software must rename itself". If that description fits you, then yes, I was calling you names. Deal with it. If it doesn't describe you, then don't be offended.
As a more important critical point: of the actually submitted designs in the submission thread, only 2 people so far have provided the requested design files via PM or e-mail.
Please understand that if you do not supply the actual design files as requested, then your entry does not qualify for selection.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-05-12, 03:14

So far I think I'd rate, of the ones actually submitted on the official submission thread, these as my top four:

1. Orange- This is I think the hippest most cool modern looking branding of the bunch. I think this is a brand that could attract new users beyond the sphere of just Firefox or Pale Moon fans. It's the type of thing I could see Google or Apple coming up with. Maybe more Apple than Google, honestly- even though it's kind of based on Google's Material Design feel.

2. Ailuros- Very nice sense of mystery with some history in there and a decent logo.

3. Breakeven- Love the logo (Netscape!!!), but the name is not as good.

4. Flashback- The name and the drawing are good, but the coloration is basically the same as Pale Moon, and this browser is meant to be different. Maybe changing to an earth with realistic colors and a black background with the same lightning would look better? No limits on number of submissions, maybe the guy who designed it could get in under the wire with an alternate version as a second submission (Stealing my idea for refinements is totally cool with me- I wouldn't offer constructive criticism if I wasn't going to let someone take my advice. ;) ).

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-05-12, 05:42

Since I have zero artistic/creative abilities and nobody has picked up the baton for my suggestion of MoonGlow, I'm left to comment on the efforts of others.

Seems to me we need to be aiming for mass appeal. Another browser that few have heard of and fewer use--what's the point? So, the logo needs to be attractive, and the name needs to be pronounceable and hopefully understandable on some level.

I'm not going to comment on any of the specific logos, but it seems obvious that the visual appeal of some of the submissions is pretty minimal.

For names, I will mention two. First, Ailuros. Nobody will know how to pronounce it, and nobody will know what it means. If it has to be explained, maybe that's a bad starting point. Concerning Basilisk, what the hey? What is that (other than the minimal allusion to lizards, dragons, and such)? And like Ailuros, it doesn't exactly trip off the tongue--stumble, maybe.

I'm not trying to be negative, just point out some things we might want to consider. Other than that, congrats to everybody who has the ability to do something, which is more than I.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-12, 11:32

This weekend will be your last chance to submit new entries/alternatives/updates/tweaks.

As a reminder: Any submitted entry that does not have usable design-files sent over to me will be disqualified! Make sure you've sent me the design files in PM or e-mail.
So far the designs that are complete, are: Basilisk, BreakEven, Darkside, Flashback, Orange. Other designs so far are without the necessary files as outlined in the contest entry thread's first post. If you want your entry to be accepted, please make sure you get the necessary files across to me before Monday!

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-05-12, 14:30

I would vote to MC's Basilisk.

There is correlation to the name of "Goanna" (rendering engine).
They are both reptiles.