Branding design contest discussions

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Branding design contest discussions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-25, 14:49

This thread is for discussions related to the Branding Design Contest at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15557
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Branding design contest discussions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-25, 15:23

Someone I talked to outside of the forum about this had the following suggestion:
Well I like the idea of a browser simply called Fang, myself -- just different, easy to remember, simple one syllable word.
Plus icon would be pretty easy light or dark themed computers and the like
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-04-25, 20:25

Would it be possible for the community to vote on the changes?

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-25, 20:58

billmcct wrote:Would it be possible for the community to vote on the changes?

Bill
Thanks for not reading. and posting in a place clearly stated was not for discussion, to boot.
Initial selection of designs will be decided by the community/users - final selection will be done by me (Moonchild).

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-04-26, 06:02

MoonGlow
Min. 15 char's--why? My submission is brilliant as is. Also, this is all I'm capable of; don't hate on me.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

InfernoZeus

Unread post by InfernoZeus » 2017-04-26, 14:22

I'm no artist so can't help with a logo, but I really like the name Silverback. Sticks with the animal theme of Firefox, without being a complete "rip-off" like Waterfox. Suggests an element of experience and stability, while still being powerful.

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2017-04-26, 21:41

Hi,

so as I understand Pale Moon will get a new name? Or is this a second browser to coexist with Pale Moon?

Thanks

Tom

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-26, 21:49

Tomtiger wrote:so as I understand Pale Moon will get a new name? Or is this a second browser to coexist with Pale Moon?
Your facts are uncoordinated. See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15507&p=112583#p112583

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-04-26, 22:32

Moonchild wrote:Someone I talked to outside of the forum about this had the following suggestion:
Well I like the idea of a browser simply called Fang, myself -- just different, easy to remember, simple one syllable word.
You really need to do an additional quick check on other languages for this kind of stuff :D (French/Italian in Fang's case - it's not good). I personally dislike one-syllable words, they often sound like a toy/gimmick and look unsophisticated - exceptions possible of course.

Is any kind of reference to Firefox/Pale Moon/Mozilla/XUL preferred? XulSurf? XulWeb? I'll repost when/if I can think of something decent, getting late now.

Luna Tic

Unread post by Luna Tic » 2017-04-26, 23:10

MOAB - Mother of all browsers

Logo: A big fat M (can't graphics)

And I would like to take this opportunity to pledge my $200 prize for this winning entry to further the MOAB cause! ;)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-27, 01:44

InfernoZeus wrote:I'm no artist so can't help with a logo, but I really like the name Silverback. Sticks with the animal theme of Firefox, without being a complete "rip-off" like Waterfox. Suggests an element of experience and stability, while still being powerful.
I am working on a Silverback logo. I am very new to image editing and especially to gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program, or somesuch), so it is not ready for primetime, yet. It's going to involve a silverback gorilla a/k/a Western lowland gorilla. I am trying to put a vectorized gorilla with a greenish planet... (okay, nobody steal it! :mrgreen: )

We can talk about splitting the prize later. :D
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-04-27, 03:31

What about Lunarfox?

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-04-27, 04:27

There is a theme for Pale Moon called "Moonscape". I think this would be a potentially suitable name for the new browser. Obviously, I can take no credit for it- so the prize would have to go to theme designer, to someone who might create a logo for it and formally submit it, to both, or to neither.

If not that name, I would suggest as a possibility something that harkens back to the common Netscape Navigator roots of both Firefox and Pale Moon. Independent of each other, having a name element like "net", "scape", or having some sort of a nautical theme would not be a violation of copyright, and would be a nice homage. I am throwing that out there for anyone who would like to take inspiration from it to use with their entry. It is yours to develop as you wish. I'm not in for prize money.

Similarly, anything that might imply a journey or an exploration, the browser as a vehicle for exploring the Internet, the web, the unknown, or the halls of human knowledge and imagination might be a good starting place for someone to come up with more specific branding and a logo.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-04-27, 07:10

Allow me to repeat myself: MoonGlow. It's a beautiful image and a beautiful sound in the English language.
InfernoZeus wrote:I'm no artist so can't help with a logo, but I really like the name Silverback. Sticks with the animal theme of Firefox, without being a complete "rip-off" like Waterfox. Suggests an element of experience and stability, while still being powerful.
We don't need to stinking reference to Firefox. Up Firefox; we're trying to get away from those people. MoonGlow
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-27, 10:21

For the people who have trouble creating a vector image: it's perfectly fine to submit a full design as a large (1000pixel+) PNG image as well. I can always trace it myself if needed from that point on.

I've updated the instructions as such.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-04-27, 11:41

I think the logo and the name must remember where PM comes from.Maybe "OldZilla", or "OldFox"?..But I think "OldZilla" is already a trademark. I like "OldFox". And the logo-the same Moon but surrounded by a (stylish) lizzard.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-27, 11:53

badnick wrote:I think the logo and the name must remember where PM comes from.Maybe "OldZilla", or "OldFox"?..But I think "OldZilla" is already a trademark. I like "OldFox". And the logo-the same Moon but surrounded by a (stylish) lizzard.
I think anything related to "fox" is a bad idea. Also, having a logo be a complete mismatch to the name doesn't make sense ;)

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-04-27, 12:09

Moonchild wrote:
badnick wrote:I think the logo and the name must remember where PM comes from.Maybe "OldZilla", or "OldFox"?..But I think "OldZilla" is already a trademark. I like "OldFox". And the logo-the same Moon but surrounded by a (stylish) lizzard.
I think anything related to "fox" is a bad idea. Also, having a logo be a complete mismatch to the name doesn't make sense ;)
Then maybe "MoonDragon"or "MoonSnake" or something like that-with the correspondent logo as I said above..You can't completely break from old logo/name (my last opinion)
PM last/64

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-04-27, 12:35

On the other hand, there is other browser with the same Theme ( Moon-Lunascape )..and maybe will be good a complete rebranding?
PM last/64

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-04-27, 15:57

Moonchild wrote: I think anything related to "fox" is a bad idea.
Why is that? I think it would be appropriate for the name to be a nod to its heritage. I think something like "Flare" would be better than something like "Fang". These browsers have a goal to preserve technologies, and not giving up to start over on something different. Why not have the name reflect that?