Branding design contest discussions

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
CharmCityCrab

Re: Branding design contest discussions

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-04-27, 23:34

I don't think attacking people's appearance is helpful or productive.

First of all, it has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Secondly, it's mean and offensive.

Thirdly, consider your audience for a moment and who you're trying to persuade- a lot of people interested in technology and computing are people who might be at least a little overweight, underweight, or have had their appearance criticized for other reasons over the years (Heck, let's set aside "computer geek" stereotypes- that's just an increasing percentage of westerners in general. We weight more than we used to on average as societies.); so you're not going to win friends and influence people here by criticizing someone's weight or appearance. Plus, there's an old expression: "Nobody likes a bully". If the moral arguments and appeals to stay on-topic don't sway you, you might at least consider that as a practical matter, you're probably turning a lot of people against you for no reason. If you want people to listen to what you have to say and to persuade them to your point of view, you'd have a better chance of doing that if you stuck to persuading them of your case and stopped making personal attacks.

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2017-04-27, 23:38

CharmCityCrab wrote:In other words, we get two genuinely separate browsers that can each appeal to segments of the market that the other can't, and offer different experiences, but behind the scenes the development done for each browser, any monetary donations to either browser, and the growing market-share of each browser, will benefit both browsers, because they will eventually share some behind the scenes code while presenting completely different stuff upfront to the user that visits with each browser's independent vision.
I totally agree.

It is amazing how so people have a tough time understanding concepts.

As for a name for the new and exciting browser to come, I refer you to:
Matt A Tobin wrote:My intended entry into this contest is as follows.. Theia or Orpheus
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-04-27, 23:47

CharmCityCrab wrote:I had a concept that someone is free to draw up art for (It's beyond my ability to do well), enter the contest with, and claim the prize money for (if applicable).

The browser is called "Time Explorer", "Timescape", or, as a third alternative, "Tempus Fugit" ("Time Flies" in Latin).

The image is a huge whirling tornado with various types of analog and digital clocks that look ancient, modern, and futuristic flying by- with Roman numerals, the number system we use to today, and then indecipherable alien symbols meant to be numbers. :) At the bottom of the icon is the front of a wooden sailing ship with the back of a robed figure with his hood up manning an old fashioned wooden steering wheel.

Wholly original but yet with a very subtle homage to Netscape Navigator in there. :)

Color scheme for the browser, when opened, would be a dark white that shades towards gray with grained wooden brown accents.
Upon reflection, I think "Tempus Fugit" might be the best name of the ones of the three I put forward. I'll also toss "Time Navigator" into the mix also. But use whatever you want if you choose to develop any part of this concept- it'll be your submission and thus up to you.

Two other ideas that would work with the concept as described in the post I quoted:

1. One the clocks could have "8:8", both hands pointing at the 8 on an analog clock, or even something that looks like a digital speedometer as a small subtle homage to the Back to the Future movies.

2. In the upper-right hand corner of the browser when open, there could be a sailor's wheel with the clocks behind it, that spins when you load a new web page. Further, it could be click-able and lead to a "website of the week" curated by the developers from an array of cool news, sports, entertainment, culture, and technology websites submitted to or thought up by the developers, which they would make sure is suitable for all audiences and legal to view in all countries, as sort of a cool surprise people can use when they get bored that would be exclusive to the browser. It would help users relieve boredom and discover new sites that they might bookmark and continue to visit for years to come. People who don't like it could simply not click it (If all they don't like is the site of the week part, but they like the animation), or get rid of it from their personal browser using the customization features the new browser will likely offer (If they don't like the animation or picture in general).

This may be beyond the scope of the contest. It's just a random thought.

Anyone is free to pick and choice from any of these suggestions or ideas and combine the parts they like with their own ideas if they don't like the "whole hog". Or they can just draw the image and use it exactly as I've laid it out. Either way. Or people can do both. And the prize is yours if you win. Maybe we'll even get two competing submissions based on the idea.

Or, if people think all the ideas I'm presenting aren't good, they can just not submit any of them as part of their submissions. It's just tossing stuff out there in the hopes that it may be helpful. :) I'm not married to these concepts.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-04-27, 23:50

Anyone have any thoughts as regard to color scheme for the logo and the browser when opened? I thinking maybe it should avoid orange (Firefox) and blue (Pale Moon) to establish it's own identity. I mentioned white, but what else is out there? Green? Red? Purple? It might depend in part on the name of the browser, I'd imagine. :)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-04-28, 00:10

Matt A Tobin wrote:The New/Additional Browser is not gonna be Pale Moon why do you want to apply Pale Moon's name and branding to it.. Why do half of you think there is gonna be some replacement effort going on? Are you all really that thick?
I realize your frustration but this type of response is not going to actually help anyone. If you continue to use demeaning communication towards others your going to get it in response, thus the jab at your picture (which is wrong too) as a persons physical appearance has little to do with who they really are.
You know, maybe this is why Mozilla and every other project has stopped listening to their community.. because the community refuses to read or listen to what the project has to say. Taking everything hard working people do for granted and doing nothing but expounding in irrelevant discourse that has no congruity with what is being discussed. Maybe you ALL of you are responsible for this situation we are all in. You created it now take responsibility for it and open your eyes and minds and hush up for a minute so that you can take in some input and learn.
I think we all know that while this might have been the case for some, it was not the reason why things happened the way it did.
Throwing dirt on all who read and partake in this forum is bad form and will simply alienate you from all who read it.
I am personally getting extremely fed up trying to give 100% of my self for nearly 3 years now at a monetary cost to my self to people who vilify me
I would hope for your sake that you did not do all this for others only. I'm sure you had other reasons for putting in all the love and hard labor you extolled.
You should know that your always going to have a certain amount of people who are not going to be grateful or understand the cost of what went into the things that they use.
and refuse to take the 5 minutes to actually comprehend simple concepts or follow simple instructions let alone read anything that has been said. Maybe, we all should just take our baseball and go home and cast you all adrift in your Chromium world you have created for yourselves.
While I agree that there are many here who don't (or won't) take the time to read what you or Moonchild say, your venting, ranting and outright casting us all into a single group of ungrateful dummies is wrong and will only cement in the minds of readers that you are not someone they ever want to deal with.
Others and ourselves would ask: "If you are so fed up why do you continue" and all of us are simply forced to answer to our selves and others "because no one else will" but I am beginning to question the validity of that answer.
And I am ever so grateful that you do, and so are many others that may never say it. Please don't let a few bad or poorly thought out comments ruin what or who you are and why you do it. But at the same time, you are still very much part of the face of Pale Moon. And as such, you need to take a bit more time to cool your head and heart before giving in to this kind of talk. You are damaging not just your own reputation but the reputation of the whole project.
You guys need to smarten up.. Seriously, it is getting old guys.
Yes I agree. Folks, take the time to read and learn before berating or making foolish comments. The search bar is there for a reason. I myself had to read Moonchild's post about the new browser many times before I felt I had a grip on things. You need to do likewise and stop wearing the team out with needless comments.

Listen, are you actually involved in this project? Have you put any time or sweat into this project. I don't, but I know better than to just spew foolish talk at folks who actually take time out of their own life to give us something great to use. If you are wondering why Tobin loses his cool sometimes it's because of this very thing.

I don't care for Tobin's Ivory Tower mind set, but I can understand where he is coming from. Don't push his buttons just for the sake of argument. Be an adult and treat others here with respect.

That goes for all of us. :ugeek:

Luna Tic

Unread post by Luna Tic » 2017-04-28, 00:35

@Matt.A.Tobin
Who took the jelly from your donut? = Why are you angry? I thought it was a better known expression. Poor choice of words, I did not intend it to be an insult. Sorry about that.
As for the intended insult, that was a response to your rant and insinuating that I and others are retards for not comprehending simple things. You came at brains, I went at weight, 1-1, end of story. As it was pointed out: Nobody likes a bully. Neither do I, I tend to hit back. Now if this is enough for a ban, that's fine. I accept the consequences of my actions.
I am aware of your contributions, and I appreciate them. I know things would be very different without your efforts. You helped me before, I thank you for that.

Why do I think it could be a good idea to have two very different browsers with similar names? Because it is a recognized brand. Within a brand you can have different models. Consider this: Volkswagen AG (~Moonchild Productions) has Audi (~Pale Moon). Within Audi, there different models intended for different market segments. So can Pale Moon have different browsers for different purposes. Also, over time the two browsers could be merged, thus the circle is complete: back to Pale Moon. The tradition lives on with a recognized and reputable brand.
It is just an idea. If not good, forget it. It is in the discussion thread, not the submission thread. Take ideas, consider them, build on them or discard them, that's the creative process. Ideas inspire other ideas, even bad ideas can turn on the lightbulb.

As for the "Tempus Fugit" idea: not bad, but have you considered the mispronunciation of "Fugit"? Similar problem with the Thai city Phuket. I would not want to go down that road.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-04-28, 00:59

We should consider who will be the most users of this. As for now i thing there are who against the mainstream and nonconformist. And most value for this is independence. So the name is to be related.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-28, 01:41

Can you really not hold mature, normal conversations?

ONE: this thread is about the design contest. Not something else. The design contest is for a NEW browser. If you still don't understand that at this point in time, stop. Log off. Go have some tea. Come back tomorrow and actually spend some time reading what multiple people including myself have repeated several times already. Use your capacity for absorbing information, if you still have it.

TWO: If you have a complete design in mind, make it happen, and post it in the actual design submission thread. You can brainstorm about names all you want, but that does not a complete design make, and will be pointless unless you actually go ahead and get something complete.

THREE: Anyone further posting venomous posts or personal attacks will be banned from the forum, forthwith. I'm sick of this high school bickering going on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomtiger
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Tomtiger » 2017-04-28, 05:14

Hi,

Matt A Tobin wrote:My intended entry into this contest is as follows.. Theia or Orpheus
Interesting. I think that Titan would be a good name, after Saturns largest moon. Logo and artwork would not only be simple but also close to pale moons:

Titan with clouds
A region on Titan

Another option would be Mimas, again after a Saturn moon. Again logo an artwork would be simple:

Mimas

My personal impression is, that the "planets" and corresponding round logos would indicate some genealogy of the browsers. But then again, maybe it is time to quit with the round logos.

CharmCityCrab wrote:1. One the clocks could have "8:8", both hands pointing at the 8 on an analog clock, or even something that looks like a digital speedometer as a small subtle homage to the Back to the Future movies.
I advise strongly against that. "88" is a very popular symbol among Neonazis representing "Heil Hitler" or "SS".

Tom

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-04-28, 18:28

Tomtiger wrote: I advise strongly against that. "88" is a very popular symbol among Neonazis representing "Heil Hitler" or "SS".
Yikes! I was totally unaware of that. Suggestion withdrawn (At least the number part).

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-04-28, 22:19

My idea: New Moon

Rationale: Something simple and lunar. Keep it related to "Pale Moon" and the lunar logo. Face it, the "new browser" being XUL won't be that much different of a user experience than current PM, especially if it still can use "classic" XUL addons. (And if the new browser is to be a success, it better not be much different; I like my PM the way it is!)

As for a logo, a "new moon" is not visible in the night sky, but the logo certainly doesn't need to be scientifically accurate -- afterall, I have yet to see a blue moon in the sky :) Make it a bad-ass moon like the current blood-red Unstable Moon logo. (Or just use that logo; Unstable can use something else.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-28, 22:39

"New Moon" is already our unofficial branding ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-04-29, 00:56

Moonchild wrote:"New Moon" is already our unofficial branding ;)
Okay, then WOLF MOON it is!
howling-wolf-silhouette-and-full-moon-vector-graphic-free.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-29, 01:41

If you have a contest entry to submit, please submit it in the proper place, in the proper format.
Note: the name should be a single word.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-04-29, 03:30

Why the restriction to a one word name? That's an odd requirement given the current browser's name ;)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-29, 04:47

badnick wrote:Maybe "OldZilla", or "OldFox"?
Moonchild wrote:I think anything related to "fox" is a bad idea.
Likewise, anything with "Zilla" . I think we need to distance ourselves from Mozilla, no?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-29, 05:06

gracious1 wrote:
badnick wrote:Maybe "OldZilla", or "OldFox"?
Moonchild wrote:I think anything related to "fox" is a bad idea.
Likewise, anything with "Zilla" . I think we need to distance ourselves from Mozilla, no?
Matt A Tobin wrote:As for all these (.*)(moon|fox|scape|zilla)(.*) names as well as compound names that are boring and predictable as hell.. I personally would expect greater creativity from you all..
I quite agree as I already stated..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-29, 08:43

joe04 wrote:Why the restriction to a one word name? That's an odd requirement given the current browser's name ;)
Because people complain complain complain when it's 2 words, especially on Linux. Or consistently make it a single word, anyway.
That, and Mozilla has made it difficult to use a name with a space with their code.
I'd rather avoid all of that, and cut it short by making it a requirement to come up with something that is a single word for the browser name; I'm sure it can be done.

"WolfMoon" can still be fine, like FossaMail, though, although it does look a little strange. ;)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-04-29, 08:51

Exodus (or X-Odus) or something common but catchy like Refresh. Lunix's Xultan is really nice.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-04-29, 15:36

Moonchild wrote:
joe04 wrote:Why the restriction to a one word name? That's an odd requirement given the current browser's name ;)
Because people complain complain complain when it's 2 words, especially on Linux. Or consistently make it a single word, anyway.
That, and Mozilla has made it difficult to use a name with a space with their code.
I'd rather avoid all of that, and cut it short by making it a requirement to come up with something that is a single word for the browser name; I'm sure it can be done.
Ah yes, totally forgot about the Linux guys. At least they'll still get to bitch & moan about ".moonchild productions/" :lol:
Moonchild wrote:"WolfMoon" can still be fine, like FossaMail, though, although it does look a little strange. ;)
Don't worry, won't be submitting a compound-word stinker :D