[CLOSED] Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

[CLOSED] Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-25, 14:15

The contest is now closed. Thank you for your entries!

I've been thinking about how to approach this and apart from just going it alone, I thought it would be a good idea to make this a design contest.

As announced before, we'll be developing a forked platform to give XUL a future. As part of that, we'll be publishing a current-day-Firefox derivative browser. This browser needs unique branding to identify it as a non-Mozilla product and alternative to Firefox.

As such I thought it was a good idea to ask you, and the creative souls among you, to submit entries for branding to be considered. We need a name and a logo.
Entries will be accepted up to May 14th 2017 -- that will be your deadline.

Requirements:
  • A single-word name for the browser. This name has to be unique in the context of (browser/connectivity) software to avoid trademark conflicts.
  • A logo, preferably in vector format (SVG). The logo should be usable as an application icon or have an iconized version submitted to use as such.
    Note: if you don't know how to make a vector image, a large resolution (1000px+), clean PNG can also work and I can trace it if needed.
  • The logo should be usable on light and dark backgrounds. Please provide individual images if they need to be adjusted for light/dark use.
  • The logo should have a reasonably modern and clean feel to it. Since this is a new house style/logo/brand, you will have freedom of color choice. Keep the number of colors used limited, though.
  • If the full logo comes with text, make sure to specify the font and font color/weight/variant used and make sure the wordmark is converted to shapes.
    If you use a font in the logo, make sure you ave the appropriate rights to use it.
  • The logo should scale down to small sizes well. Don't shy away from details, but be careful with being too photo-realistic or too-detailed that might make the logo impossible to make out (at least somewhat) in small sizes.
Rules:
  • Anything you submit must be your own work or commissioned specifically for this purpose.
  • Anything you submit will become the exclusive property of Moonchild Productions immediately (to prevent legal issues down the road).
    This means you should not use any designs you want to personally use later on, either commercially or non-commercially. You relinquish all rights to your design, including copyright.
  • If your design is chosen, you will be credited as the creator of the logo in appropriate places, but won't have a right to be paid royalties or similar fees for (use of) the design.
  • If your design is not chosen (either as winner or runner-up), you can contact me if you want to officially be granted your property rights again for re-use elsewhere.
  • There will be a one-time reward of $200 (US dollars) for the winner, and $50 for the runner-up. PayPal only.
  • Initial selection of designs will be decided by the community/users - final selection will be done by me (Moonchild).
  • We reserve the right to disqualify designs that do not meet quality, design or ethical standards, in our sole discretion, regardless of popularity.
  • There is no limit to the number of designs you can submit, as long as they are different. You can offer proposed color variations in a single design submission.
Note, if for some reason there aren't enough designs to make a meaningful contest/selection, then I may cancel the entire thing. I do hope people will take some time and be creative, though!

How to enter:
  1. Make a complete design (Name+logo+colors)
  2. Create a 300px smallest dimension PNG of your design (and extras for any additional image e.g. iconic/background) with transparency.
  3. Reply to this thread, and post your design (the 300px PNG only!), design details (e.g. font used, color hex codes) and credentials in a single post. Attach your images to your post, do not use external image hosting services!
  4. Send me a PM or e-mail (moonchild at palemoon {dot} org) with the actual design files (svg/large PNG, fonts if not common, raw design layered files if you used that, etc.) zipped up. If the design files are too big for PM or e-mail (possible if you're using Photoshop :P then please use a cloud service like dropbox or google drive or microsoft live to transfer the design. If you used proprietary software, always make sure that scalable design files are also sent in a common format (png for raster, svg for vector!)
    If you do not send me the design files by the deadline, your entry will be disqualified!
  5. Be patient!
Please do NOT post responses to/thoughts on designs or discussion in this thread, so things can remain organized! Entries only! Thanks in advance.
If you want to discuss things or have additional questions, please go to the discussion thread.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2017-04-27, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thehandyman1957

Re: Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-04-27, 04:42

Flashback Browser
Flashback Browser.png
Flashback Browser.png (153.04 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
Since the new browser is going to be a flashback of Firefox in a sense.

I'm not sure how to give the colors as I used Inkscape to make it with a couple of royalty free images and there are several image layers with transparency.

The font is Rockwell Extra Bold. I'm not sure how to tell if we have the right to use this but I'm sure it could be changed to something else.
Off-topic:
I can't seem to attach the svg file. It says invalid format on the forum.
Please let me know what else I can do.

Moonchild's note: please see the updated instructions in the OP. Send design files zipped up via PM or e-mail

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-04-27, 15:26

Breakeven
Breakeven
Breakeven
drawing_300.png (36.33 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
Most of the inspiration for this logo was drawn from Netscape, noticeably with the colors. I chose the name "Breakeven" because it kind of says that hey, we're going on to a different branch/space in time and a different timeline for our project and that we're no longer part of Moz, but still roots from Nscp. The meteor was used as the center because it's like we're going somewhere boundless and limitless (this are all just my opinions anyway).

The font used was Open Sans Bold, fnt. size at 48+.

qrestlove

Unread post by qrestlove » 2017-04-29, 02:12

Darkside
darkside-logo.PNG
darkside-logo.PNG (56.35 KiB) Viewed 5790 times
Not a designer but thought I'd throw something together to help support the project. I continued the moon theme and picked a new night animal for the "mascot".

Font is Akashi, Colors are magenta and teal.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-29, 06:19

Ailuros_03b1.png
Ailuros_03b1.png (71.88 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Ailuros is how the ancient Greeks referred to the Egyptian cat-deity known as Bastet or Bast.

Ailuros was originally the patron of the sun, but then became patron of the moon after Egyptian contact with the Greeks.

Ailuros was also the patron of secrets, so the name suggests privacy and security, two important components of modern web-browsing.

The stylized feline face suggests Bast/Ailuros, and the rendered satellite (moon) suggests a kinship with Pale Moon, but only just.
Attachments
Ailuros_01b2.png
Ailuros_01b2.png (61.34 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-29, 10:51

My own entry here, a more stylized, simple logo with the name "Basilisk".
bas-icon-sq300.png
bas-icon-sq300.png (24.4 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
The name both drawing on the reptilian background (Goanna) and the obvious mythical background of a serpent or dragon.
Since the browser will likely appeal more to current-day Firefox users, a simpler logo that blends well with the monochrome web world of today seemed to be the better choice here.

Mainlogo color #159677
Wordmark being red (#a92b27), font Maiandra GD, normal.
Attachments
bas-logo-500w.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-04-29, 15:08

Disqualified entry: submission was incomplete.

Just some clipart that I found, put on top of the Pale Moon logo:

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-04-29, 16:04

Seek.jpg
Seek
Seek for something more, something better. A browser you can customize all you want. Seek a better web experience.

sp808

Unread post by sp808 » 2017-05-04, 17:21

Handrawn draft of "BulbAge Browser" logo
Tool: cheap ink pen. Hope that i'll be right in time and update post with appropriate computer graphics.

Long name: BulbAge Browser
Short one: BulbAge

With decline of Firefox and the core sense of this program people will need smart'n'bright browser. That is why i use BULB word. Bulb as a symbol of light. AGE stands for longevity of bright ideas. I hope that it will lasts for as long as possible. Here is preliminary sketch. As you can see Earth incorporated into bulb. Moon was pale. Bulb must be bright (of course if it is planning to survive omnipresent ChromoFoxness). I assume that i fully described concept of art and overall meaning of logo.
Attachments
2017-05-04_183254.jpg

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-05-10, 22:56

Tool : Paint

Colors : Black and Red
Font : Arial bold
Name : Reborn (browser)
Attachments
Reborn 300ppx.png
Reborn 300ppx.png (6.96 KiB) Viewed 4929 times

Rkivdd

Unread post by Rkivdd » 2017-05-11, 22:50

Disqualified entry: submission is based on a name/concept which is already a web browser.
Orange Logo fix-300.png
Orange Logo fix-300.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
I bring you my entry in the XUL platform browser branding contest, entitled 'Orange.'

The design for the logo was inspired by the trend of "flat" graphic design that accompanies modern software releases and graphical user interfaces starting sometime in the early-to-mid-2010s, including but not limited to 'Metro' (featured in Microsoft Windows 8) and 'Numix' (for Linux and Android). It sets a clear difference from Pale Moon, which was, in terms of branding, closer to the "skuemorphic" art style that dominated software branding in the 2000s and very early-2010s. Since the XUL platform browser will be closer in design to the more recent iterations of Firefox, a "flat" browser-wide branding campaign will visually place the browser as a viable alternative to Chrome, Firefox, Safari, et cetera.

The standard logo has a tri-color palette for ease and appeal to the eye. The colors are based on the Pantone Colour Matching System as described and featured in http://www.pantone-colours.com. The tones of the colors are closer to pastels; soft, unintrusive, yet timeless. The skin of the literal logo is a Pantone 164 (HTML notation #fc7f3f), the outer rim inside the peel is Pantone 305 (#72cfe3), and the inner rim is Pantone 393 (#f2f088). The standard logo packaged here comes textless, text below, or banner-style text on the right of the logo.

An alternate logo has also been created to be displayed in the browser's "private browsing" mode. In the vein of Chrome dubbing their private mode as 'Incognito', here it is dubbed as 'skinned.' [stylized as "(skinned)"] The palette was reduced to two colors, Pantone 272 (#8a77ba) for the skin, and Pantone 353 (#84e3a8) inside the peel. In addition, a total of two monochromaic iterations of the logo were made, featuring text in either black or white to suit whatever needs possible.

The logos were created in Inkscape 0.91 for basic drawing then imported to GIMP 2.8 for finishing touches. They were then exported to PNG files in the sizes of 3000x3000, 3000x4000, and 11286x3000 for optimal tracing.

The font featured in 'Orange' is entitled "Coolvetica" Regular, and I have acquired the Fontspring Desktop Font License for it. The license states I can use it for commercial use, as described here:
Fontspring grants Licensee a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive and non-transferrable license to:

a. Use the Font to create and distribute graphics, logos, and artwork for display on any surface including computer screens, television screens, paper, physical products, or any other surface. The created graphics may be a fixed size (e.g. JPG, PNG, etc.) or a static vector (e.g. SVG, EPS, etc. made with a “create outlines” tool).
In the standard logo, the text is sized at 848 pixels and at a kerning of 81 points. For the "(skinned)" logo, it is at 793 pixels and zero kerning points. The banner logos have the text sized at 2485 pixels and at a kerning of 81 points.
Attachments
Orange Logo fix font-300.png
Orange Logo fix font-300.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Orange Skinned fix-300.png
Orange Skinned fix-300.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Orange Skinned fix font-300.png
Orange Skinned fix font-300.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Orange mono fix-300.png
Orange mono fix-300.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Orange mono inverse-300.png
Orange mono inverse-300.png (4.4 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Orange Logo banner-300.png
Orange Logo banner-300.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Orange mono banner black-300.png
Orange mono banner black-300.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Orange mono inverse banner-300.png
Orange mono inverse banner-300.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 4832 times

Krisada

Unread post by Krisada » 2017-05-13, 10:12

Logo with name
Logo with name
Proposed Name: Lunisolar
Font: Century Gothic
Colour: DEEP YELOW (#FFCC00) / ORANGE (#FF6600) / BLACK (#000000)

Still a moon, but not pale anymore!

Also, Rkivdd's idea of alternate icon for provate browsing mode is really good, ao I made one too. Should call in Eclispe mode or Umbra mode.
Private browsing mode
Private browsing mode
PNG03.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 4696 times

KitsuneJess

Unread post by KitsuneJess » 2017-05-14, 02:32

I thought I'd enter!
I had thought of a design of a Star, being looked through by the telescope. I wanted the start to not be too bright, so I toned it down.
And the name I thought was 'Star lite'.
Attachments
rsz_star_lite2.png
rsz_star_lite2.png (71.07 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

JunStarBit

Unread post by JunStarBit » 2017-05-14, 05:50

MoonFinderIdea.png
MoonFinderIdea.png (35.83 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
The Font: Montserrat Alternates Light

Designer (Me): Junnior Escoto

First Gradient Color: #018DBD
Second Gradient Color: #381141
Font and Curved Piece Color: #231F20

Black/White Variant and Negative:
MoonFinderIdeaBlackWhite.png

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-05-14, 10:34

I haven't necessary skills for this, so just for fun ;)
Untitled111.png
Untitled111.png (153.06 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Horo
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-14, 15:22

pharos.png
pharos.png (10.32 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
Name: Pharos

Logo with name (three versions):
pharosA.png
pharosA.png (16.52 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
pharosB.png
pharosB.png (15.53 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
pharosC.png
pharosC.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
Colors: #1A1AFF, #E60000, #009900, #000000; Font: Candara Bold.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-14, 15:23

conductor.png
conductor.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
Name: Conductor

Logo with name (three versions):
conductorA.png
conductorA.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
conductorB.png
conductorB.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
conductorC.png
conductorC.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
Colors: #D9007E, #8900CC, #4B93CC, #FF9A00; Font: Oswald Stencil.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [CLOSED] Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-14, 22:36

This contest is now closed. Thank you everyone for your entries.
In the coming week, I'll evaluate all the entries and check submitted material for completeness and adherence to rules, as well as general quality, uniqueness of the name in communication software context, and any potential issues with existing trademarks/logos of other people.

I'll make another post here as an FYI once the basic check is complete and we can move forward.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [CLOSED] Contest: XUL platform browser branding!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-15, 13:58

Basic checking on completeness and potential conflicts has led to the following disqualifications:

Horo: incomplete entry (no design files sent), potential copyrighted material
Orange: based on a name/concept which already is a web browser, let alone the name of a mobile carrier.
ReBorn: incomplete entry (no design files sent), quality issues
BulbAge: incomplete entry (no design files sent), not fleshed out (sketch only)
Seek: incomplete entry (no design files sent)
Newt: incomplete entry (no design files sent)

Passed on to the second stage are 10 entries.

Cast your vote here: https://goo.gl/forms/phclfypKY1qaUect2