Multi-core support

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Edkiefer

Multi-core support

Unread post by Edkiefer » 2017-04-14, 14:19

I happen to read this article on FF55 having some optimization to core count. according to them FF only uses 2 cores for major part and they are adding support supposedly for 2+ core in 55.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/13/fir ... am-hunger/

I was curious if this is on the table for Palemoon or that doesn't apply as Palemoon branched off to much of FF now.

I don't have any issues with 25-30 tabs, just curious if it was being looked at.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Multi-core support

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-14, 16:12

Multi-process (not multi-core) support, called "electrolysis" or "e10s" is not desired by us. We'd rather focus on parallelizing libraries at a lower level. See other threads on this forum (do a search for e10s/electrolysis).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

freefrog

Unread post by freefrog » 2017-04-14, 16:52

Moonchild, can you please describe the parts of the browser that have been parallelized to date?

Edkiefer

Unread post by Edkiefer » 2017-04-14, 17:22

Moonchild wrote:Multi-process (not multi-core) support, called "electrolysis" or "e10s" is not desired by us. We'd rather focus on parallelizing libraries at a lower level. See other threads on this forum (do a search for e10s/electrolysis).
Ah, ok, I understood the issue and should of checked, I originally thought they meant multi-core, I see now Palemoon does, Should of known this cause I had it's affinity set to 3 cores and noticed slowdown.

Here link to e10 stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6660

I didn't read through it all but sounds like what google does in Chrome with multiple processes 9one for each tab AFAIK in Chome).