Does Pale Moon have support for the rel="noopener" attribute? Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
half-moon

Does Pale Moon have support for the rel="noopener" attribute?

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-24, 16:40

Does Pale Moon have support for the rel="noopener" attribute? It would certainly improve browser security if it does.

Andrew Gilbertson

Re: Does Pale Moon have support for the rel="noopener" attribute?

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2017-01-24, 18:26

half-moon wrote:Does Pale Moon have support for the rel="noopener" attribute? It would certainly improve browser security if it does.
I found this page describing the feature: https://mathiasbynens.github.io/rel-noopener/

The problem with this is that you'd have to apply this to every link on the web...except those that you actually want to have control over other tabs/windows, which then leads to potential issues with managing lists (whether that's whitelists, blacklists, or graylists depends on the implementation). I'm not going to go so far as to say that this is a bad idea, but I will say that it sounds like a good candidate for being handled by an extension that will either block these types of requests, or prompt to allow them, rather than being a core browser feature. And it turns out that there are already extensions that handle it: NoScript blocks this and Request Policy Continued prompts whether or not to allow the redirect.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2017-02-09, 21:33

As far as I can tell, Noscript 2.9.0.14 doesn't block this if you allow scripts on https://mathiasbynens.github.io and/or https://mathiasbynens.be. RequestPolicy also obviously isn't detecting the same-origin tab manipulation at all. Because other modern browsers are implementing changes to mitigate this, I filed an Issue and hopefully this is something Pale Moon can implement too.

This noopener_by_default userscript is working for me in Pale Moon as tested on https://mathiasbynens.github.io/rel-noopener/.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2017-02-10, 00:13

According to Moonchild, Pale Moon does already have support for the rel="noopener" attribute.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-02-10, 00:20

ok, thanks man.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-04-17, 21:28

OK, I've been reading quite a bit about this on several sites but mostly starting from ghacksuserjs on github. It seems to me (but I could be wrong) that we are talking about two different aspects of the issue. Pale Moon has support for rel=noopener but that has to be added to a link by the website author, correct? Whereas the point of an extension or script is to add it without depending on the webmaster who posts the link on his page. If I have this correct we still need a script or extension to take full advantage of the support for it that PM has by adding it to links the webmasters didn't.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-18, 10:13

It is up to the webmasters to add this property to links if they do not want the linked site to have control over their page.
This is entirely to protect the webmaster's site (prevent opener navigation control) - nothing else.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2017-04-19, 02:53

GreenGeek wrote:If I have this correct we still need a script or extension to take full advantage of the support for it that PM has by adding it to links the webmasters didn't.
I would say yes and I have been using the Disable Targets userscript from legroom.net.