A (potential?) solution for SDK extensions...

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
IByte

Re: A (potential?) solution for SDK extensions...

Unread post by IByte » 2017-01-22, 11:01

Moonchild wrote:Foundation extension's cons are more complexity for the end user and (as long as web developer tools would still rely on jetpack) double the load of the framework in the browser for the people who do use it.
To be clear, by "end user" you mean "add-on developer"?

On the topic of my own add-ons, I think I'll wait to see how this discussion plays out before offering my SDK add-on to APMO (and to decide whether it will be PMkit or a XUL port). My XUL add-on is already listed, thanks Andrew.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-01-22, 13:24

Thank Moonchild for returning the discussion to the original subject. As I already wrote, I'm not a big fun of Mozilla Add-on SDK, I have never used it for creation of any of my add-ons and have no plans to do so in the future. But since we came to understand the importance of providing the compatibility level (PMkit), I believe we should do it properly.

I like the idea of using the foundation extension and I gladly would prefer it over the integrated toolkit solution. The problem is that currently we have no workable foundation extension, it's only the concept, and I see a lot of nuances, which I still don't know how to handle. In the same time, the toolkit solution is already ready for release and I think it's pretty safe and reliable. In such a situation, to insist on an immediate switch from toolkit to extension (in passing accusing me of incompetence) was nothing but an attempt to ruin PMkit. This is why I have been forced to defend it publicly. I hope that further discussion would relate to technical aspects mentioned above and will be carried out exclusively in a professional manner.
Off-topic:
I'm really surprised that my opinion and advice concerning APMO that I wrote in the small postscript has caused such a stormy reaction. Nevertheless I hope the discussion that emerged from this will benefit to the project but will not be cause of strife.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-22, 14:01

IByte wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Foundation extension's cons are more complexity for the end user and (as long as web developer tools would still rely on jetpack) double the load of the framework in the browser for the people who do use it.
To be clear, by "end user" you mean "add-on developer"?
I think it's safe to assume that "end-user" does not mean "add-on developer".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-22, 15:03

IByte wrote:To be clear, by "end user" you mean "add-on developer"?
No, I mean end user. The actual consumers of extensions.
It's more complex for them because they will have to install the foundation extension first. An extra step that will not be obvious.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-07, 11:51

The current version of Pale Moon 27.1 is release-ready -- I intend to link to this documentation for extension developers, and it would be great if you could include a step-by-step instruction needed for those developers to make their extensions compatible with Pale Moon. Even if it is just the need to add a specific install.rdf block, that should be documented ;)

If you'd rather I link to a different document than the one linked there, let me know before Thursday!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-07, 15:44

Moonchild wrote:The current version of Pale Moon 27.1 is release-ready -- I intend to link to this documentation for extension developers, and it would be great if you could include a step-by-step instruction needed for those developers to make their extensions compatible with Pale Moon. Even if it is just the need to add a specific install.rdf block, that should be documented ;)
Actually the step-by-step guide is already there, I just added extra links and full examples of package.json and install.rdf.
If you'd rather I link to a different document than the one linked there, let me know before Thursday!
I have uploaded this guide to wiki, probably it's more appropriate place to be linked.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-02-07, 22:59

JustOff

Thanks. Now its easy to fix extensions. I already patched some, one still not working and no any clues why, error console are empty.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-08, 00:28

JustOff wrote:Actually the step-by-step guide is already there, I just added extra links and full examples of package.json and install.rdf.
Having the examples included makes a big difference ;)

I'll link to the wiki.