Web setup - geosteering

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Web setup - geosteering

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-20, 10:39

Hey all,

Our latest version of the web setup program (Windows only) has a new feature implemented that does geosteering (finding geographically closest download mirrors as priority choice).
I've only been able to test this in a limited fashion, so if any of you want to help me verify that it works as-intended around the globe, that would be great!

To do so:
  1. Go to http://www.palemoon.org/ and download the web installer from the front page (~750 KB)
  2. Start the web installer
  3. On the initial screen you see, check the bottom (green/black) status line. It will have a "Region" indicator at the end which should show your country and continent.
  4. Optional: go to "advanced" and click one of the download buttons, and verify that the mirror URL chosen is correct for your region:
    • URLs starting with http://relmirror.palemoon.org/ should serve EU and AF
    • URLs starting with http://relmirror2.palemoon.org/ should serve NA and SA
    • URLs starting with http://relmirror3.palemoon.org/ should serve AS and OC
    You can stop the download by clicking the cancel button on the progress window, this will exit the installer.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Re: Web setup - geosteering

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-20, 10:47

Region UA/EU detected [Ok] -> relmirror.palemoon.org selected [Ok] -> download [Ok]

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-20, 11:27

Region DE/ EU detected [OK] -> relmirror.palemoon.org selected [Ok] -> download [Ok]

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-20, 14:08

It was unable to detect my region.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-20, 14:13

half-moon wrote:It was unable to detect my region.
Did you allow it to connect to ip-api.com?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-20, 15:07

Moonchild wrote:
It appears to have been blocked in the hosts file. Temporary disabling the hosts file fixes it. Region is detected correctly as US/NA.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-20, 15:17

half-moon wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
It appears to have been blocked in the hosts file. Temporary disabling the hosts file fixes it. Region is detected correctly as US/NA.
:thumbup:

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2016-11-20, 15:18

Blocked by both firewall (3rd party) and hosts file here, is accurate once allowed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-20, 15:19

It's not a big issue if it's blocked; it should just pick a random mirror in that case (but it may be slow for your location in that case).

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-11-21, 15:47

I got US/NA (which is correct for my location) and http://relmirror2.palemoon.org/ which is what's expected.