A note about our development...

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

A note about our development...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-31, 20:00

...because it doesn't seem like many people understand how this works.

The structure of our code base aside and which parts have evolved from which technology or background left for what it is for the sake of simplicity, it should be made clear that:
  • Our code base is massive. We have 15 million lines of code (give or take) spread out across a good handful of languages and as many disciplines. Handling such a code base as a whole and making it work harmoniously takes a lot of balance. Any significant change to the core can't be done on a whim as a result.
  • Our code base creates an application that is exposed to the Internet constantly. This is a potentially extremely hostile environment and requires many safeguards - this complicates implementation of new features and enhancements.
  • At the same time, the "Open Web" requires many things to be done on the browser side that should not be the task of a browser, but to which the current state of the Internet has evolved us.
Don't expect Pale Moon to be perfect. It won't be.

All things considered it's great to have enough support that we can pull off with a handful of developers what a multi-million dollar company does.

But we aren't a multi-million dollar company. We are a band of people who have come together out of the desire to provide some sanity in this top-heavy internet ecosystem, and we aren't getting rich off of it, either. We adhere to principles and common sense where at all possible. You can fault us for that if you insist, but it won't change our approach.

I understand if you come from a different browser that has hit sore spots over and over, that you as a user can be very sensitive to changes that are dictated by the web and not as much free choice as a perfect world would allow. Please don't expect our browser to fit your workflow perfectly without change when you arrive or when we make necessary changes to keep pace with global developments. We all have to change.
So, all things considered in this light, it is understandable that users get upset when they get asked to make changes to their routine - or when something they have come to expect has visually changed. But please, if that is the case, have some understanding that we, as a development team, are doing the best we can.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that it gets very exhausting for us to have to deal with a barrage of complaints that, in all honesty, is either out of our hands or trivial (and could potentially be solved with our customizability if people take the time to see what they can do, themselves, with the browser, before knocking on our door).
So I do hope that when our next milestone is published, we are spared more of that -- it will be the fruits of 8 months of very hard work by all involved to vastly improve the browser and above all find a new balance. As said, it won't be perfect, but we'll continue to work on improving it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: A note about our development...

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-10-31, 21:41

Your (plural, you and your team) work is appreciated! :thumbup:

themew

Unread post by themew » 2016-10-31, 21:47

I can't imagine not using Pale Moon for my daily browser. Us users are so appreciative of you and your team, and we do our best to show it here on the forums and around the net.

I know I speak for others when I say THANK YOU for Pale Moon.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-11-01, 01:29

themew wrote:I can't imagine not using Pale Moon for my daily browser. Us users are so appreciative of you and your team, and we do our best to show it here on the forums and around the net.

I know I speak for others when I say THANK YOU for Pale Moon.
My sentiments exactly! :thumbup: I am very thankful for all that you have done and even though I am not able
to update to 27 due to my Xp leanings I am still very happy with 26 and all the work that was done to make it such a
great browser. There is simply no other browser out there that even comes close to Pale Moon. Thank you Team!

My move to Pale Moon was the best thing I have done to my computer in a long long time. ;)

HotGore

Unread post by HotGore » 2016-11-14, 16:52

I love PM, been using it for years happily. Keep up the great work.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2016-11-14, 17:35

Well, after my disastrous and highly annoying experimenting time with Vivaldi i am back with Pale Moon as it looks like, new 27 beta version works way better with today's web, so i am perfectly happy again :)

Good job so far :D Hope you can also fix the last issues with Youtube and video playback in general :)
Off-topic:
I have learned my lession... never ever Chromium again as all Chromium browsers are just like the many other Firefox forks... minor rebuilds and no full forks like Pale Moon, which means these rebuilds... including Vivaldi and Brave... bring all the annoying development of the mother organization with them and the rebuild developers have for whatever for reasons no interest to go on a different path which would avoid all the upcoming troubles ;)