DuckDuck Go and Pale Moon supprt

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
John connor

DuckDuck Go and Pale Moon supprt

Unread post by John connor » 2016-08-27, 04:37

Not sure what wound be the right subforum to put this in.

So reading that PM doesn't include Google anymore and reading that PM is supported from DuckDuckGo searches, how does that work? I mean I use a different UA and if DDG is using UA sniffing you won't get support.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: DuckDuck Go and Pale Moon supprt

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-27, 07:49

DuckDuckGo doesn't use UA sniffing (thankfully SOME people at least do it right!).
DuckDuckGo sees that a search comes from Pale Moon with the "tag" added to the search URL (t=).
See also: https://duck.co/help/privacy/t
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-08-27, 13:29

I am a bit confused about your explanation. I use both DDG and Google for searching. DDG is my default search engine and i reach Google via a link on my bookmarks toolbar. I do not use the P M home page. Does this mean that when I search via DDG, despite having ABL, Ghostery and SDC, that P M will get credit for my search? I hope this is the case.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2016-08-27, 14:14

The way I'm understanding it is that in your search bar (top right), when you search there in DDG your query will automatically get tagged with a t= behind the scenes generated by PaleMoon.

DDG uses this t= tag to give credit to PM.

Edit- I just ran a network sniffer to see what this tag looks like and since DDG uses encryption I can't read the packets.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-27, 14:44

TwoTankAmin wrote:I am a bit confused about your explanation. I use both DDG and Google for searching. DDG is my default search engine and i reach Google via a link on my bookmarks toolbar. I do not use the P M home page. Does this mean that when I search via DDG, despite having ABL, Ghostery and SDC, that P M will get credit for my search? I hope this is the case.
it really isn't that difficult. If you search from the search bar in Pale Moon, the URI request that gets sent to DDG includes "&t=palemoon" (you can see this in the address bar of your search results. The start portal has its own tag for the sake of getting some basic separation for different search traffic. It's all in the open, and it won't be blocked by any blocker since there's nothing in the content of the request. HOWEVER, if you block ads on the results pages with ABL etc. then it won't get any revenue (and no support for us as a result).

If you use standard DDG's page as your home page, then we won't get credit (since it won't have the tag on the search request).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-08-27, 15:55

Okay, so we have to: 1) use DDG from the search bar; AND, 2) disable any ad blocker on DDG, in order for Pale Moon to get any revenue. I didn't know about the ad blocker part, so all my searches which I thought were benefiting Pale Moon didn't.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-28, 00:13

helloimustbegoing wrote:Okay, so we have to: 1) use DDG from the search bar; AND, 2) disable any ad blocker on DDG, in order for Pale Moon to get any revenue. I didn't know about the ad blocker part, so all my searches which I thought were benefiting Pale Moon didn't.
Well, it's not like DDG is going to have any revenue to share with us if no revenue is generated from the search performed because of blocked ads ;)
The way revenue share works is that it is a percentage from actual revenue generated. It's not like it's a flat rate per search performed or what have you.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-02-07, 23:15

Can you say about duckduckgo corrupts links when you search it with native settings of useragent
Instead
http://www.palemoon.org/
it puts
https://duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg=ht ... oon.org%2F

Or even you may have a fix for this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-08, 00:34

It doesn't "corrupt links". Going through a redirect link from a search results page is normal for any search engine as well as being required for outbound traffic statistics to work. Yes, it means you can't copy the link directly and paste it -- but that isn't the way you're supposed to use search results pages anyway. You're just supposed to click the damn result links ;)

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-02-08, 00:51

Fedor2 wrote:Can you say about duckduckgo corrupts links when you search it with native settings of useragent
It uses redirects to prevent websites from knowing what you searched for.
More information:
https://duckduckgo.com/privacy#s1

It is also possible to disable this if you don't like it.
To do so, go to https://duckduckgo.com/settings and click on the privacy tab, then turn off redirect.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-02-08, 01:02

It doesn't "corrupt links". Going through a redirect....
Well, let it be redirects.
The question is about the difference then, with firefox compatible settings, and firefox itself there were no redirects. Clean links only.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-02-08, 01:09

Perhaps Pale Moon doesn't have proper Meta referrer support. DDG says it only uses redirects when it has to (for generally older browsers):
https://duck.co/help/results/rduckduckgocom

Or perhaps DDG is doing bad user agent sniffing for its privacy features after all.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-08, 01:20

The referrer meta tag has been implemented in v27 (we didn't have it before).
Perhaps DDG isn't aware of this yet, so I'll shoot them a message about it.