Error messages produced by optional chaining operator

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Error messages produced by optional chaining operator

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2023-06-08, 07:27

I'm not entirely sure about his, but I think the ?. operator is producing messages it shouldn't.

For instance this example from MDN page

Code: Select all

function printCustomerCity(customer) {
  const customerCity = customer?.city ?? "Unknown city";
  console.log(customerCity);
}

printCustomerCity({
  name: "Carl",
  details: { age: 82 },
});
on firefox runs and prints "Unknown city" without any other output.

On Pale Moon, it prints "Unknown city" but it also produces a ReferenceError warning: "ReferenceError: reference to undefined property "city"[Learn More]"

Given the purpose of this operator is to behave in a defined way under those particular circumstances, this feels discouraging as even when I'm doing the right thing, I get warnings that I'm doing a wrong thing.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Error messages produced by optional chaining operator

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-06-08, 07:43

I can't reproduce this. I've tried the example itself via the Scratchpad, Developer Tools Web Console, and using a test HTML file, and I'm not getting the reference error message that you've encountered. Are you using this in a different context (e.g. browser chrome code or JSM modules)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-08, 08:32

Unable to reproduce as well. The MDN example properly prints "Paris" and "Unknown city" in succession without errors.

Can you please provide the full error message you get from the error console, i.e. including source data (module name, line:column, source snippet if provided)?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2023-06-08, 12:22

I have 'JS warnings' switched on in the browser console.

This is the message I get (slightly simplified test)

13:24:35.230 >> let x={}; console.log(x?.fred ?? "wibble")
13:24:35.291   wibble 
13:24:35.290 <- undefined
13:24:35.291 !  ReferenceError: reference to undefined property "fred"[Learn More]
Oddly, if I leave the ? out in the above, (using x.fred), I get no ReferenceError, which seems back to front to me.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-06-08, 13:31

I still can't reproduce even with the given test.

By any chance, do you have the pref javascript.options.strict set to true? That's the only reason that I can think of which can make these warnings show up... IIRC we intentionally throw those as warnings for the optchain/nullish coalescing implementation in strict mode.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2023-06-08, 14:15

Ah. Yes, I do.

Why'd you produce that warning when this is what those operators are designed to deal with?

Also in that case, why doesn't

{ let x = {}; console.log(x.y ?? "wibble") }
produce a warning? I think it's more reasonable for that one to get a warning.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-08, 14:51

thosrtanner wrote:
2023-06-08, 14:15
Why'd you produce that warning when this is what those operators are designed to deal with?
It's informational for devs more than anything else. The reason why it would make sense there is that there would be no indicator that a check is made against a null property otherwise.

x.y would just always evaluate to undefined.

x?.fred could have fred be either null or undefined and evaluate to undefined in both cases. If you expected null then the error thrown is invaluable for debugging your code. Also, the spec explicitly treats strict and non-strict differently for OptionalChain : ?. IdentifierName

Side note: forcing all scripts to be treated strict will cause compatibility issues on the web. I do not recommend it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2023-06-08, 16:20

my understanding of that option in about:config was that it'd produce the errors it would have produced in strict mode, but not actually change the processing. I can take if off as I was mainly using it to check the extension I was maintaining wasn't doing anything silly but I forgot to switch it off once everything was in modules.

However, could you explain how the spec says strict and non strict behaviour should be different for the ?. operator. Certainly the proposal has nothing to say on the subject (and the spec is hard to read!). Though having read MDN for about the 20th time, it looks like i shouldn't be using it at that point but at a later point.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-08, 16:43

thosrtanner wrote:
2023-06-08, 16:20
my understanding of that option in about:config was that it'd produce the errors it would have produced in strict mode, but not actually change the processing.
Ah seems you are right? I guess my understanding of the pref was wrong then. :shifty: