Wrong star icon displayed in URL bar

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SemiKebab
Moonbather
Moonbather

Wrong star icon displayed in URL bar

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2022-12-04, 12:21

How to reproduce:
  1. Navigate to a page that is bookmarked in the browser. In the URL bar, there is a yellow star.
  2. In the URL bar, type anything so that the URL is replaced with the suggestions drowndown.
  3. Press Escape once or twice, so that the suggestions are closed and the URL is displayed back.
  4. Now an empty star is displayed in the URL bar, instead of the expected yellow star.
Note this erroneous empty star has the behaviour of the yellow star, i.e. clicking on it shows the "edit this bookmark" tooltip. So it's a display issue, somewhere the icon isn't updated when displaying back the URL.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Wrong star icon displayed in URL bar

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-04, 12:42

Thanks for reporting. Bug filed as Issue #1897.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-12-04, 12:54

See previous topic '[Minor] GUI: Bookmark icon not reset properly' - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24643&p=192702 :)

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-12-04, 14:01

Ooooh, a "good first issue".
Maybe I could make it my second tackled issue...

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-12-05, 03:25

@BenFenner: A long-shot suggestion only. Hope its not a complete red herring! :)

I'm definitely no coder... so please take my suggestion below with a very large pinch of salt! :think:

From reading round the subject of this peculiar, but repeatable, Bookmark Star bug I suspect the reason it occurs may relate to the deeply complex subject of the 'Places' database's 'Frecency algorithm' and its scoring system (which I had briefly investigated once before in the forum here)... and in this case possibly relates to whether the particular bookmark, when re-entered, is not passing the 'frecency threshold' after the address had previously been cleared from the URL Bar?

Not by any means an exactly matching case described here in Bugzilla 1488879... but there is a certain similarity in the probable 'bug mechanism' being discussed that could perhaps cause the apparent bug with the Bookmark Star not being correctly triggered in this case too?

Which may mean the 'bug' is actually 'by design' and is 'intended operation' (if by accident)... and is simply due to the current settings within the complex Frecency algorithm? A rare 'outlier' case not allowed for in the original Places design and testing?

If my 'guess' as to the cause behind the bug is right... then leaving the Frecency algorithm alone may be the better/safer option?

(Or... in naval technical equipment inspection terminology the 'defect' is noted... but rated as 'WNBD' = Will Not Be Done!)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-05, 10:59

I don't think the frecency has anything to do with the simple fact that a URL is bookmarked or not (and therefore this symptom). Frecency is only important for history ranking and retention.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-12-06, 23:47

Came across this mid-2013 Bookmark Star fix in Bugzilla's graveyard... Re: 'Defect - Bookmark "Star" states not changing once a website has been bookmarked/unbookmarked' - Bugzilla 876217: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=876217

Similar Bookmark Star not updating problem. Perhaps the 'Attachment #756573: fix for bug #876217' might help in general, if not specifically, with Pale Moon bug? Although, assume this particular fix would have long ago made its way into Pale Moon's code base?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-07, 10:03

That was part of the Firefox 24 release so would have been part of Pale Moon's front-end code since practically forever. Thanks for searching though.