Mojeek, Qwant

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
carpet
Moonbather
Moonbather

Mojeek, Qwant

Unread post by carpet » 2022-06-30, 20:59

I'm just curious if Qwant was considered when choosing Mojeek and what were the advantages of Mojeek. I'm not necessarily suggesting Qwant and have nothing against trying Mojeek (hadn't heard of it before), I just know I've had excellent results with Qwant and they have their own indexing like Mojeek and their features are similar at least as far as listed here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... ch_engines

so I was wondering if Mojeek has some advantage.

jobbautista9
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Mojeek, Qwant

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-07-01, 03:01

Well Mojeek is accessible from every country, while Qwant is not (I can't access it here from the Philippines), so maybe that's why it's not included in the default search engines.
the og Touhou engineer

Developer of Ambassador in Window Menu, BrowserTickTock, CacheSwitch, Chrome Navigator, Cite4Wiki, Clickity Touch 'n Push, ColorPili, EditDatContent, EditDatTitle, Esrever, Go Menu, User Agent Status, Website Navigation Bar, and Yet Another about:config Helper.

My PGP public key (My copy on rw.rs)

Touhou avatar by suzaku_mikado of pixiv (original pixiv source dead, mirror at Safebooru)

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2022-07-01, 04:17

carpet wrote:
2022-06-30, 20:59
they have their own indexing
My understanding is that Qwant uses Bing, at least to some extent.

Edit: Qwant's privacy policy twice references Bing's privacy policy. Also, an announcement was made in 2019 about a partnership between M$ and Qwant, with Bing's algorithm mentioned in the announcement. Don't know if that's still in effect.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v21H1 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v31.2.0.1 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-01, 10:53

The whole point of adding Mojeek was to have an independent alternative search engine to DDG that does not track, does not apply censorship and is not relying on results that are censored or biased from an upstream. Qwant simply doesn't meet those criteria. The fact that they even block entire countries only compounds with it :P
"The best revenge is to not be like the person who wronged you." -- Marcus Aurelius
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb