Possible bug, page is not displayed

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Apprentice
New to the forum
New to the forum

Possible bug, page is not displayed

Unread post by Apprentice » 2021-10-27, 02:01

Palemoon on Linux! Tested with Palemoon without any modification, running directly from the binary as new installation!

Is not displaying the page on this link: https://imgur.com/a/QKSHCtc

I noticed that since v.28.16.0 up to the current version. The informed link page was created in Palemoon and was displayed in earlier versions that I have informed up, I can not remember which version at the moment.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Possible bug, page is not displayed

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-27, 09:52

It's because of the use of a rather arbitrary property of the Navigator object which imgur simply does no feature checking for and their script as a result breaks down.

Code: Select all

TypeError: navigator.credentials is undefined
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-27, 11:32

Apprentice wrote:
2021-10-27, 02:01
not displaying the page
The page displays for me after opting out of Imgur's beta by visiting here: https://imgur.com/beta/disable.
See this thread.
imgur.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-27, 11:35

What is a "Palemoon"?

Apprentice
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Apprentice » 2021-10-28, 07:57

The problem is kind of bigger than it seems, I realized that there are many other sites that are giving the problem with images not appearing

Telegram is not appearing in the browser: https://web.telegram.org/k/
This site also does not display images: https://medium.com/@nathancheng/the-cure-for-type-2-diabetes-is-known-but-few-are-aware-5dd3064328b6

The solution presented above for me none of them worked
Disable or even the script, because, only partially displayed, it continued to hide the images

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-28, 09:21

Telegram's web interface will not work properly because it is chrome-focused.
The medium site you pointed to is also using a chrome-ism (in regex) that we currently do not yet support.
Unfortunately web compatibility suffers due to websites' focus on the Blink engine and features we are still working on implementing but are not ready yet.

If the browser doesn't work for your use currently then please look around for a different browser in the meantime.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-28, 21:52

Re: Imgur
Apprentice wrote:
2021-10-28, 07:57
The solution presented above for me none of them worked
Disable or even the script, because, only partially displayed, it continued to hide the images
Not sure what script you refer to.
The workaround in the above-linked thread does work for me, and involves changing the value of certain cookies.

Please re-read the entire thread carefully.
And if relevant for you, please note this post where someone reported that an extension interfered with the workaround.

Re: Telegram
Apprentice wrote:
2021-10-28, 07:57
Telegram is not appearing in the browser: https://web.telegram.org/k/
Please try the workaround posted in this thread: Telegram web not loading properly

Posting correctly in the proper board; And searching the forum:

@Apprentice,
Please take the time to familiarize yourself with this forum's layout (board subject areas), its Rules, and its search function (especially advanced search).

The board in which you posted, Browser Development, is reserved for "Pale Moon source code development related" matters (see light red box with dark red text, top of page). Support requests and/or web compatibility issues should not be posted here.

In this case, your issues should have been posted in the Web Compatibility Support board, one thread for each website/specific issue that didn't already have an existing open thread (so search before posting - imgur.com (search) and telegram.org (search) did already have open threads for your same issues and didn't need additional ones.)

Also, when you do post about problems with specific websites, please include the site's name in the thread title, and include console output in the opening post as per instructions for that board.

knabbjolf

Unread post by knabbjolf » 2021-11-12, 08:54

Moonchild wrote:
2021-10-28, 09:21

Unfortunately web compatibility suffers due to websites' focus on the Blink engine and features we are still working on implementing but are not ready yet.
This was useful information. Now I understand better how/where to address some issues I observed. Perhaps this info could be summarized in a newbie thread so newbies like me dont keep repeating known issues as the search function for this forum requires some experience in forums wording ?

Kindly K.Jolf

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-12, 12:55

There's nothing to summarize given that all websites slavishly implement the latest non standard toy er, draft spec introduced by Chrome - follow the instructions in the red box on the forum page on how to submit a problem report and do so in the correct sub forum. 'Web compatibility' is for broken websites only while 'browser support' is for problems with the browser itself that are not related to individual websites (such as slowness or video issues for example).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-11-13, 08:44

The Credentials API's password access is particularly dangerous and should never be implemented, as it exposes your saved plain-text passwords to javascript. It's too bad, because the cryptographic key section could actually be pretty useful.

In order to "gracefully fail" credentials calls, I made DumCred. It adds the credentials object to navigator and the expected functions, but returns null (or in one case undefined) promises, as per the existing draft "spec".

Hopefully this API will be abandoned, or at the very least heavily amended.

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-11-14, 02:41

RealityRipple wrote:
2021-11-13, 08:44
In order to "gracefully fail" credentials calls, I made DumCred. It adds the credentials object to navigator and the expected functions, but returns null (or in one case undefined) promises, as per the existing draft "spec".
Works! Thanks.