random error displayed

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
rtrgoo

random error displayed

Unread post by rtrgoo » 2015-10-28, 14:01

I REALLY need help with this. I am using the latest version of PM, 25.7.3. Recently i am seeing a RANDOMLY appearing error on the screen, "CRITICAL SYSTEM ERROR". It takes up the whole screen including the system tray. I CANNOT close it or reduce it. Only a RESTART works until it comes back. I am using the ATOM/XP version as the site recommends. My desktop is an HP COMPAQ DC7900 BUSINESS PRO, INTEL DUIAL CORE CPU, running XP PRO. Previous versions NEVER gave me this issue. Should I use a NON atom version of this same version? Or should I revert to an earlier version, like 25.7.1 or even earlier? In those cases I have used ATOM as well. I am not familiar with the term or what it refers to. I see nothing anywhere in the system that gives me a clue as to where to look. HELP!

Moderator Note: Email address removed

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: random error displayed

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-10-28, 14:03

Sounds like some form of malware has been introduced to your system. Does it ever happen without Pale Moon running?

rtrgoo

Unread post by rtrgoo » 2015-10-28, 14:31

Matt A Tobin wrote:Sounds like some form of malware has been introduced to your system. Does it ever happen without Pale Moon running?
NO. It ONLY happens using PM version 25.7.3, current. It NEVER happened with previous versions. Should I revert to an earlier version? Then select NEVER UPDATE to avoid this? I hesitate to download a third party app because I do not trust them nor did I see much benifit in the past. I cannot tell if this error is REAL or MALWARE/ADWARE. It does NOT direct me to a third party site. Nor can I close it. I can minimize it only. Only a restart works until it comes back randomly. It ONLY appears when using PM. NONE of my other browsers are affected. Should I reset PM? I am using another browser to write this to be sure I can get through it. So far so good. Acvice please.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-10-28, 14:35

My advice would be to do some malware scans before anything else. Update the definitions of whatever AV you use and start a scan. It sounds like malware to me.

Also, I'd delete your email address you have in your post, unless you like spam.