One web site has stopped displaying correctly

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
mastic

One web site has stopped displaying correctly

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-18, 20:11

One web site has stopped displaying correctly.
The site was displaying okay and has done so for years, I loaded the site in the morning, logged out and came back later in the day and it displays text on a blank background and a few pictures stacked vertically down the left side of the screen.
It's impossible to use the site as displayed.
Closing Pale Moon and rebooting my computer has not cured the problem.
The page in question still displays okay using Mozilla Firefox and Pale Moon is still displaying other web sites okay.
Any help will be appreciated.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: One web site has stopped displaying correctly

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-10-18, 20:18

What would you like us to do about this? Seeing as you didn't give us the site address or any other details.

mastic

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-18, 21:59

Matt A Tobin wrote:What would you like us to do about this? Seeing as you didn't give us the site address or any other details.
Well since the site works with:

Mozilla Firefox
IE 8
Opera
Chrome

I thought the site address was irrelevant. I must admit that it didn't work with Netscape though, Netscape couldn't find a security certificate or something but then Netscape not working on the site doesn't surprise me since it's so old that it was delivered by a horse drawn covered wagon and many modern sites don't work with it.
I didn't try Safari either because that would require me going to another room and starting my very unloved Apple iMac but I feel reasonably confident that the site would also work using the Apple and Safari.
Using logical deduction if the site works with all those other browsers then the problem is in Pale Moon not the site.
Yes I can use the other browsers but I like using Pale Moon.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2015-10-18, 22:04

Without the specific site address, there's really no way we can help in troubleshooting this.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-10-18, 22:09

mastic wrote:Yes I can use the other browsers but I like using Pale Moon.
"I have this website that works in other browsers. I won't tell you the website but I want to know why it doesn't work."
How can we know?
We want to help you, we truly do.

Okay, we can work with Certificates, but we still need to know what site.

mastic

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-19, 01:47

Nigaikaze wrote:Without the specific site address, there's really no way we can help in troubleshooting this.

The site is http://oasis.com/

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-10-19, 01:59

mastic wrote:The site is http://oasis.com/
The main page of it? It looks fine.
Or do you have this problem when you are logged in? If this is case, I'll need to make an account to further help your situation.

I'm sorry, you can also check the page with a new profile. (New browser profile)
If it works fine there, we can reduce the problems being an add-on or plug-ins, maybe browser is due for a clean-install/refresh.

mastic

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-19, 07:55

megaman wrote:
mastic wrote:The site is http://oasis.com/
The main page of it? It looks fine.
Or do you have this problem when you are logged in? If this is case, I'll need to make an account to further help your situation.

I'm sorry, you can also check the page with a new profile. (New browser profile)
If it works fine there, we can reduce the problems being an add-on or plug-ins, maybe browser is due for a clean-install/refresh.

What does "New browser profile" mean????

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-10-19, 14:07

mastic wrote:What does "New browser profile" mean????
If you have Windows 10, you simply put "palemon.exe -p" without quotes on the search bar.(Next to the Windows Start icon)
If you don't have Windows 10, you simply press the Windows button(on your keyboard) and the R at the same time, you get "Run" prompt. Put "palemoon.exe -p" without quotes and you can make a new profile to see if the site works fine, on the New Profile. If it does, then we have to troubleshoot why it doesn't work on your normal profile.

mastic

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-20, 08:39

megaman wrote:
mastic wrote:What does "New browser profile" mean????
If you have Windows 10, you simply put "palemon.exe -p" without quotes on the search bar.(Next to the Windows Start icon)
If you don't have Windows 10, you simply press the Windows button(on your keyboard) and the R at the same time, you get "Run" prompt. Put "palemoon.exe -p" without quotes and you can make a new profile to see if the site works fine, on the New Profile. If it does, then we have to troubleshoot why it doesn't work on your normal profile.

I use the superior Win XP !!!!
Okay I created a new profile and fired up the site that was not displaying and with the new profile it displayed and worked perfectly.
So how do I get back to the original profile?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-10-20, 09:24

mastic wrote:So how do I get back to the original profile?
I am not going to question your usage of Windows XP, but I do suggest that you switch to Windows 10 for security reasons, as Windows XP is no longer being supported directly.
Plus, there are Linux variants that are lighter and better than Windows XP, to date.

You simply do the same thing that I told you to make a New Profile, it shows you a selection of your old and new. You can delete the new profile, if you have no need for it, and stay with the old one. From there, you have to track what happened with your old profile that's causing issues; most likely an add-on, in this case.

Edit: You can also clear your cache/cookies.
Last edited by megaman on 2015-10-20, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

mastic

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-20, 13:56

megaman wrote:
I am not going to question your usage of Windows XP, but I do suggest that you switch to Windows 10 for security reasons, as Windows XP is no longer being supported directly.
Plus, there are Linux variants that are lighter and better than Windows XP, to date.

You simply do the same thing that I told you to make a New Profile, it shows you a selection of your old and new. You can delete the new profile, if you have no need for it, and stay with the old one. From there, you have to track what happened with your old profile that's causing issues; most likely an add-on, in this case.

I have a later flavor of Windows but didn't like the way it worked. I also have an unloved Apple iMac, XP works well for me.

Anyway is there any reason I can't delete the *old* profile since the new profile is working fine?

mastic

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-20, 14:00

megaman wrote:

I forgot, I also had a Vista machine that died and replaced it with a Win8 or something machine but I don't use it much but I do use the XP machine all day every day because I like it a lot more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-10-22, 09:34

Can we please stay on-topic?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mastic

Unread post by mastic » 2015-10-25, 03:50

Very strange, I went back to my original profile and the web site displayed correctly even though I have not changed anything.
The computer God must have been angry with me or something.
Thanks everyone for your help.