Problem with website recognition

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Problem with website recognition

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2015-10-07, 04:47

Recently I noticed the following two sites no longer work correctly with Pale Moon or Firefox: http://www.homedepot.com, and http://www.rockler.com. The rockler site worked in Pale Moon as recently as 10 days ago. I have Pale Moon 25.7.2 (x86) on two Windows 7 computers, and 25.7.2 (Atom/WinXP) on an XP computer. All 3 experience the same problem, as does Firefox 40.0.3. Internet Explorer 9 and Chrome 45 work fine with both sites. I even tried PM 25.7.2 in Safe Mode. The problem still exists.

I went to the thread 'What to do when a website doesn't recognize Pale Moon', and looked at Moonchild's original post, dated Oct 13, 2014. I created a new string, general.useragent.override.homedepot.com, I looked up User Agent values for IE 9 and Chrome (42 was the latest version). I tried each of them, but neither worked. I also tried the Mozilla/5.0 code shown in Moonchild's post, but it did not work either.

I am clearly out of my league when it comes to these kinds of modifications. Can someone tell me why the overrides I tried did not work?

If someone wants to see the problems, on http://www.homedepot.com. when you try to type in the search box (at the top, to the right of 'Search All'), the text 'what can we help you find?' should disappear. With PM & Firefox, what you enter is on top of what was there.

In http://www.rockler.com, If you hover over any of the options on the header row (Tools, Hardware, etc.) you should see a drop down list of items. IN PM & Firefox, hovering over options in the header row does nothing.

There are more serious problems with each site, but the above are a quick way to tell if the problems exist.

I realize I need to write to the websites indicating the problem, but before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone else exhibits the problem, and if so. what you did about it.

Harry

megaman

Re: Problem with website recognition

Unread post by megaman » 2015-10-07, 05:03

I get laggy scrolling on Rockler.

On HomeDepot, the search message disappears when I click on it.
I see a list below the item that I am looking at.

Currently, I am using Palemoon 26 Beta 2, but I will check with 25.7.2, in a moment.
I'll install 25, currently version, and see tell you what you any possible solutions.

Edit: No, I can't reproduce the problem in 25.7.2.
Yet, scrolling is smooth on 25.7.2, in the Rockler site, odd.

Maybe an add-on is bad.
Your profile could be corrupted. I install every new version clean, it gets dirty over time.
Cleaned your cache/cookies and refreshed the page?

Edit 2: I noticed Windows XP, a little late, so I can't offer more help, since I am on Windows 10.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2015-10-07, 20:24

megaman:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The images that you attached are exactly what the correct screens should look like.

>>Maybe an add-on is bad.<<
On one of my Win 7 computers, I tried Pale Moon in it's Safe Mode (i.e., all the add-ins disabled). Made no difference.

>>Your profile could be corrupted. I install every new version clean, it gets dirty over time.<<
I guess that is possible, but as I noted, the Rockler site was working about a week ago. I may have updated one Win 7 to 25.7.2 in that time period, but not the other one, and certainly not the XP (which I don't use much). So doesn't seem like this could be the problem.

>>Cleaned your cache/cookies and refreshed the page?<<
I just tried clearing everything on one Win 7 computer. Problem still exists. I then (on same computer) ran again in Safe Mode. Problem still exists.

Any other things you suggest that I evaluate?

Harry

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-10-07, 20:52

1210_bex wrote:Any other things you suggest that I evaluate?
I would say, "Go ahead, anyway, and test a new Profile." (Besides, you can easily delete it)
Other than that, I am stumped, temporarily.

Maybe an antivirus program is interfering, or any system protection.
Make sure that site is fully loaded, it could be a rendering problem.
Also, make sure that your driver updates are up-to-date, mainly for the videocard/chip.

The crazy part is that you happen to see this in Firefox, so it wouldn't apply to us, yet it doesn't happen to me.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Problem with website recognition [SOLVED]

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2015-10-09, 00:17

megaman:

Problem solved!

Since I also have Firefox, I went to their MozillaZine forum and found this thread: 'Enable DOM storage by site?'

After reading this thread, I found that my dom.storage.enabled was set to 'false'. Changing that to 'true' fixed the problems in both Pale Moon & Firefox!

But I cannot figure out how it got set to 'false' in the first place. I looked at the Options menu, and it does not appear anything has changed. Any idea what controls this setting?

Harry

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-10-09, 01:42

The default setting for dom.storage.enabled is true, so you must have manually set it to false. Setting it to false disables HTML5 local storage. There was a thread here on the forums about it; maybe you saw it and disabled this setting? On my computer I can access the home depot site even with it set to false.