[Solved] Can't download graphics after 9/16/15 on WinXP.

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
islander1

[Solved] Can't download graphics after 9/16/15 on WinXP.

Unread post by islander1 » 2015-09-17, 14:21

Since 9/16/15 mid-day suddenly not one website page would downloads any of its graphics anymore (besides the homepage) - it's bare-boned "blue text" with no formatting just 1 simple text. What has happened and how do I fix it? Firefox works fine. I'm on WinXP. I cleared my cache. Deleted unnecessary files. I have enough memory. I am aware of the WinXP issues with non-support. I did use the correct Pale Moon version Atom/WinXP, and I did a remove/clean reinstall.

Prior to the issue occurring I was having trouble downloading a couple of Websites because they required downloading their ad junk. I had to use Firefox. There it was stuck in idle a long time without crashing.

UPDATE - FIX - (I'm posting my own answer for others that may have this or a similar issue.)
Hi - I was still working on this like 4-5 hours I got a clue where someone posted they reset their Firefox to fix something similar and it made me think about checking add-on's ... I also was checking all the toolbar stuff for clues--- together that make me see there was still an ADWARE PLUS on my Tools drop-down menu even tho it's not functional with Pale Moon. It had been auto-updated yesterday around the time of trouble so I thought that must be it - so I did a disable everywhere and - and bingo it fixed it - graphics/formatting came back! I also removed from both PALEMOON AND FIREFOX at the source = from Tools/add-ons/extension/adwareplus so it doesn't happen anymore.

So a good clue to find possible instigators of browser issues: look and see if there were any "UPDATES" to your own "ADD-ONS" that co-inside with the DATE/TIME the problem first occurred.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2015-10-31, 23:35, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Marked Solved

dark_moon

Re: Can't download graphics after 9/16/15 on WinXP. Anyone e

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-17, 17:21

Welcome to the forum, islander1!

So if i understand it right, 2 websites told you to disable your AV programm? Thats very suspicious. Better you scan your PC now, especially because you use Win XP with a lot of open doors.

Anyway did you try a clean Pale Moon profile? Its not the same as remove Pale Moon.
Look at my signature.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-09-17, 21:40

2islander1: can you please add [SOLVED] to topic title? it's not a requirement, but this way people will know that they shouldn't spend time figuring an answer to already solved issue. thank you.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-10-13, 04:02

You know it's funny that I just ran into this thread. Just yesterday I was going to a web site I visit all the time and I too was getting the no graphics issue just out of the blue. It took me a couple of days but I finally figured it out as being the ABL filtering. It turns out it was filtering all the graphics and most of the page script also. This happened without me doing any changes in the browser at all. I could not tell you why it just started doing this on it's own. So I just went in and unchecked the parts that needed to make the page look right. After that it looked normal again. It only did this for this one site only. Hmmm Strange :think:
Screenshot - 10_12_2015 , 8_56_08 PM.png
Screenshot - 10_12_2015 , 8_56_40 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.