How to remove address bar flavicons and useless text

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
jbclem

How to remove address bar flavicons and useless text

Unread post by jbclem » 2015-09-08, 22:04

I hope "flavicon" is the right term, I'm referring to the useless icon and text to the left of the padlock symbol in the address bar. This kind of flavicon takes up 1/3rd to 1/2 of the address bar space. It serves no useful purpose that I can see. On this Palemoon forum page is the perfect example: The address bar reads https://forum.palemoon.org and the flavicon reads "palemoon.org". Other websites are worse, but do I really want to give up 1/3rd of my address bar for information I already know.

Also, how to get rid of the RSS icon and the bookmark STAR icons that I've never used ever.

Thanks for any help on this matter,

John

ps...after looking up "flavicon", I realize I should have said "flavicon and text", or "useless text", "advertising text" , "promotional text", etc...that's now be changed by an edit.

Thehandyman1957

Re: How to remove address bar flavicons and useless text

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-09, 03:14

ps...after looking up "flavicon", I realize I should have said "flavicon and text", or "useless text", "advertising text" , "promotional text", etc...that's now be changed by an edit.[/quote]

:think: So let me see if I got the this straight :?: Were talking about the text between the toolbar with "file, edit,view, history, bookmarks, tools, help" and the actual website address right? :eh:

I personally would not consider this useless text. Sometimes this will just give the name of the website but other times it will give you the security of the site and other times it will give you the extension status like "flash".

Seeing as this only takes at most about an inch of space in your bar why is it bothering you so much?

Could you help us on this understanding?

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-09, 10:46

I think the OP means "favicon". In my experience favicons can be masked but not removed, but the useful domain verification text can be hidden using Pale Moon Commander, though I wouldn't recommend doing so.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-09, 11:20

• Favicon: This can only be hidden with userChrome.css
  • "advertising text" "useless text"...? If you mean the text in the identity panel (either the domain name or EV company information), then you should be aware that this is neither for advertising, nor useless. It provides instant details for https sites so you can verify at-a-glance that you are connected to the domain or company you are intending to.
    As said, for domains, this can be easily switched off via Pale Moon Commander: Security -> SSL -> For domain-verified secure sites, display: "No text"
    For extended-validated domains (green), this cannot be easily configured because in general, it is extremely important to know you are communicating with the right entity. if you want to hide that too (not recommended) you'll have to do so with userChrome.css
  • RSS icon: set browser.urlbar.rss to false in about:config
  • Bookmark star: This can only be hidden with userChrome.css
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mike89

Unread post by Mike89 » 2015-11-25, 04:01

I want to remove the icon to the left of each address in the address bar. How would I do that? With Pale Moon, it's a circle with the F in the middle.