Not All Picture File Downloads Working in PM 25.3

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
JayBee

Not All Picture File Downloads Working in PM 25.3

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-03-25, 03:03

Hello I am new here but have been using Pale Moon for awhile and like it very much. I am now using version 25.3 with Windows XP. I have noticed a recent persistent issue that I have not had using prior versions of Pale Moon.

I have experienced trouble with downloading some picture files (not all) from different web sites on the Internet. When this occurs I copy and paste the same URL into the IE 8 web browser. I download the same picture file (I was having a problem with in Pale Moon) and I am able to save the photo without an issue.

Here is a test page that I am able to successfully download two of the four photos available using Pale Moon:
http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 7&start=15

The first is:
http://p1.bikepics.com/2012/05/24/bikep ... 46-800.jpg which is duplicated again at the bottom of the page.

The second and third photos can not be downloaded using Pale Moon but can using IE 8. The direct links are :
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... C03481.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... G_0002.jpg

I do not think this is a compatibility issue with Photobucket who is hosing the photos which I am having trouble with because I was on an earlier URL with Photobucket photos and I was able to successfully download them using Pale Moon.

Look forward to any help you can give me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Not All Picture File Downloads Working in PM 25.3

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-03-25, 09:24

For some reason the server is sending html data when the picture is requested.. It may be some form of protection.. But this is NOT a Pale Moon issue.. It is saving what the server gives it when requested directly...

Consider the second and third pictures links.. They say .jpg but are redirected on the server side to web pages.. it is simple saving what data it was given..

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-03-25, 11:27

My question may sound stupid, but since the image is already loaded with the page, why is it needed to request it again to the server ? Couldn't that be taken directly from already received data ?

JayBee

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-03-25, 19:29

Matt A Tobin wrote:For some reason the server is sending html data when the picture is requested.. It may be some form of protection.. But this is NOT a Pale Moon issue.. It is saving what the server gives it when requested directly...

Consider the second and third pictures links.. They say .jpg but are redirected on the server side to web pages.. it is simple saving what data it was given..
Thanks Matt but I am still confused.... When I originally posted to this forum the two problem images would download on IE 8 but not through Pale Moon so I am not understanding why this is not a browser issue when one browser handles it and the other browser does not. Please explain this if you don't mind.

To further complicate the issue when I go to: http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 7&start=15 or directly to the hosted picture URL's on Photobucket I am able to save the same two picture files today using Pale Moon that just yesterday would not save a usable image. It kind of makes me think there is something intermittent about this issue which is why I do not always have this problem show up with consistency. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-26, 11:34

It may very well be an intermittent problem with how the images are served (CDN issues). I've had no problem accessing or saving any of the images from my neck of the woods. I do not think it's something to do with the browser, because the browser will simply save what it is served.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JayBee

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-03-26, 18:17

As you have found no current issues with downloading picture files I have also found this to be true as of late. So far it is now working fine and I have downloaded many photos from different sites. I will report back if it stops working in the future.

As far as your comment "I do not think it's something to do with the browser, because the browser will simply save what it is served." goes I am not sure if what you are saying makes sense considering that when images were not downloadable through Pale Moon they were downloadable through a different browser, namely IE 8. To me if it was not a browser issue then how do you explain one browser being able to do the very same thing another browser is incapable of? I realize at this point since Pale Moon is working for you and me now that the scenario I first complained about can not be duplicated.

I can say that before I started using Pale Moon I only used Firefox with IE as my backup and had down loaded 1000's of picture files with never an issue over many years of use. The only time I've ever seen this issue was recently and only when I was using Pale Moon Atom/WinXP. Before that I had the regular Pale Moon (not sure of the version) and never had any problems down loading picture files either. Since I have Windows XP It was recommended to upgrade to Pale Moon Atom/WinXP.which is what I did a few months ago.

thanks for all your time :) I am crossing my fingers that all is fixed.

JayBee

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-03-27, 02:44

Something to add that should be duplicate-able.

Using Pale Moon to view:
http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2933/ufkfoosp_jpg.htm
I can not right click the mouse and see the option to save the picture file. I used IE 8 to open the same URL and right click gives me the option to save the photo with no problem.

Is this something that can be fixed so that Pale Moon will work with this URL to save pictures?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 10:21

No, because that is the site using some trickery (overlaying one div over another) to prevent direct user access to the image, it's basically been "put under glass". This is done on purpose on the website and is not a browser issue. IE8 probably has access to it because IE8 doesn't work with the features they use to perform this trickery ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

bonesz

Unread post by bonesz » 2015-03-27, 18:02

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dev.onlineperformance.info/www/delivery/ajs.php?campaignid=1&cb=91348313199&charset=UTF-8&loc=http%3A//www.directupload.net/file/d/2933/ufkfoosp_jpg.htm"></script>
Using an overlay script to prevent direct access, above is taken from the Inspect Element function. I have found the direct link to the image, not sure I should post link due to copyright laws, also don't want to get Moonchild in to problems by posting links w/o his permission.

Here is the link only to the image,

Code: Select all

http://s1.directupload.net/images/120626/ufkfoosp.jpg
Last edited by bonesz on 2015-03-27, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 18:23

As long as you don't post the image itself here, there won't be a copyright issue.

JayBee

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-03-30, 23:49

Not sure how one would go about finding the link you posted. If it is something I can do please let me know the exact steps you used. Thanks

JayBee

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-03-31, 00:07

Ok guys it is doing it again but on a different web URL.

Go to: http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index ... ic=20542.0 and try and save any of the picture files.

I can not save them with Pale Moon but can with IE 8 and with Firefox 31.0. Since Pale Moon is based off of Firefox shouldn't Pale Moon allow me to save the same picture files that Firefox will save without an issue?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-31, 05:06

Pale Moon allows saving of any of those images without a problem. I just verified this.

JayBee

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-03-31, 17:45

Ok, that it interesting because on my end it still gives me the same problem on Pale Moon but not on Firefox when I save the same picture file to the same directory on the computer. Any idea what could be causing this to fail for me and not on your computer?

Attached is what the file looks like after I download it using Pale Moon and then try and view or open it in the Firefox browser window.

The image “file:///E:/My%20Documents/1%20Cary%20Documents/3%20Motorcycles/Cafe%20Racer/Yamaha/RZ350
/Peter%20A%20Germany/1-20-13/T5002_zpsca2336dc.jpg” cannot be displayed because it contains errors.

Another thing worth noting is the differences of the file properties on the same image saved through Pale Moon versus Firefox. Maybe this will help figure out what could be causing this. I have listed the properties of each below.

Firefox:
DOS Name: FIREFO~1.JPG
File Size: 183,404
Dimensions: 800 x 600 24-bit color
Resolution: 180 x 180 dpi
Type: JPEG compressed: Progressive
Color Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Memory Size: 1,440,000 uncompressed
Print Size: 4.44 x 3.33 inches
E:\My Documents\1 Cary Documents\3 Motorcycles\Cafe Racer\Yamaha\RZ350\Peter A Germany\1-20-13\Firefox T5002_zpsca2336dc.jpg

Pale Moon:
DOS Name: T5002_~1.JPG
File Size: 108,744
Dimensions: Is Blank
Resolution: Is Blank
Type: [5116] E:\My Documents\1 Cary Documents\3 Motorcycles\Cafe Racer\Yamaha\RZ350\Peter A Germany\1-20-13\T5002_zpsca2336dc.jpg: Unrecognized file
Color Profile: Is Blank
Memory Size: Is Blank
Print Size: Is Blank
E:\My Documents\1 Cary Documents\3 Motorcycles\Cafe Racer\Yamaha\RZ350\Peter A Germany\1-20-13\T5002_zpsca2336dc.jpg

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-03-31, 17:56

Yeah and if you open it up in a text editor you will find... HTML which is what the server sent to the browser when it requested it.

While this may be a problem it is a problem with the remote server not the browser. Pale Moon is doing its job and saving the responce of the request just as you told it to. This was explained before.

What SEEMS to be happening is unless you view image or save as from anything but the photobucket page any direct link will go through a series of 302 redirects to the photobucket page for the image. This is almost certainly a hotlink protection method. That is why you are getting intermittent results because if you go to the page the image is at and view image from there it will work for some time.

Again this is NOT a problem with Pale Moon.

Kand_in_Sky
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kand_in_Sky » 2015-04-01, 09:06

me dont have either no problems downloading any of the pictures, except that in the 2nd url they are embedde by photbucket. anyway, downloading is no problem.
maybe op should check his add-ons?
PaleMoon & Basilisk
- on 2014 i5-4210M Notebook 8GB Win7 64Bit
- on 2014 Athlon 5350 16GB PC Win7 64Bit
- on 2018 Athlon200GE 32GB PC Win10 64Bit

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-01, 09:17

OP is very likely stripping referers from HTTP requests.

JayBee

Unread post by JayBee » 2015-04-06, 16:58

Not sure what "OP" means, but because there is absolutely no help here for me and my situation I am sad to say that I must return to Firefox and leave Pale Moon behind.

As far as I can tell no matter how much you tell me it is not a problem with Pale Moon, it is for me. Maybe there are things that are on my computer which are in conflict with Pale Moon working as it apparently does for the rest of you but as far as I am concerned the only thing that matters is how it works for me and it is obvious that it does not work properly.

I just saved a bunch of photos without remembering to check to make sure they all saved correctly. Just checked them and most are no good which means I have to start all over using a different browser. Very frustrating.

I will try one more test before going back to Firefox. I will re-start Pale Moon with all add-ons disabled to see if I can get a different outcome than I have so far.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-06, 17:47

JayBee wrote:Not sure what "OP" means
Off-topic:
OP = Original Post(er)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox