[Solved] Can't get userChrome.css to work

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
jcw814

[Solved] Can't get userChrome.css to work

Unread post by jcw814 » 2015-03-14, 15:13

I downloaded from:
http://binaryoutcast.com/projects/pm4xp/
Palemoon-Portable-25.2.1.winxp32.exe
and installed it on my WXP-Home (with SP3) desktop computer.

I can't seem to be able to use userChrome.css, which I made and put in a new chrome folder that I created at:

Portable Apps\PalemoonPortable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\chrome

Portable Apps is a directory I created to house portable apps such as PalemoonPortable.

In the userChrome.css file, I put as a "test" the following between the 2 horizontal lines below:

----------------------------
@namespace url(“http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul”);

*/ Align title on right: */
#main-window::after {
text-align: right !important;
}
----------------------------

It had no effect.
I tried a couple of other entries, which also had no effect.
I assumed that the userChrome.css would work even though the build came from BinaryOutCast.
I saw nothing at the BinaryOutCast website indicating that userChrome.css could not be used.
Your help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2015-03-18, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked Solved

Supernova

Re: Can't get userChrome.css to work

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-03-14, 19:16

My first guess was an error in the path/naming of file ; however it seems good. :problem:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-14, 19:22

Please make sure you use comment delimiters correctly ;)

/* to start, */ to end -- you have */ for both which will make for an invalid selector.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jcw814

Unread post by jcw814 » 2015-03-14, 22:38

Thank you both for looking at this situation.
Good eye, Mc:
I corrected the faulty starting delimiter, but unfortunately it didn't help; the css file entries have no effect.
I wouldn't have thought so, but might the problem be housing PalemoonPortable under the Portable Apps directory that I made?
Any other ideas are welcome.

Update: As an after-thought, I just tried using a userChrome.css file with a portable version of Firefox, which also had no effect.
That Firefox portable also is under the Portable Apps directory that I had made.
Must be something systemic here, although what, I don't know.
I have used css style sheets with MsIE without a problem.
If any other ideas, let me know.
Thanks again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-14, 23:12

You have to make sure you put the file in the correct folder.
For Pale Moon Portable, this would be {portable application folder}\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\chrome\userChrome.css
Any other location will NOT work. (the chrome folder won't exist by default, you have to create it)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-03-14, 23:34

A long shot (guess): Make the portable apps directory name contiguous (eg. PortableApps). No userChrome.css problems here with a portable installation using the following directory structure.
PortableApps-userChrome.css.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcw814

Unread post by jcw814 » 2015-03-15, 17:34

The Portable Apps "holding" directory that I had created I re-named to: PortableApps

Then, the path to and name of the css file became:

C:\PortableApps\PalemoonPortable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\chrome\userChrome.css

"Just in case", I also re-built the userChrome.css file.

Also tried moving the PalemoonPortable folder outside of the PortableApps directory so that the path then was:

C:\PalemoonPortable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\chrome\userChrome.css

None of those attempts resulted in the css file having any effect on Palemoon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-16, 10:19

You are starting the portable with palemoon-portable.exe, right, and not palemoon.exe? Because it should all work -- I used this method regularly myself to do theming work.

jcw814

Unread post by jcw814 » 2015-03-16, 20:36

Mc:
Yes, I launch PM Portable using a shortcut to palemoon-portable.exe, not palemoon.exe.
It makes no difference whether I use palemoon-portable.exe or a shortcut to it: the css file has no effect.
I can't figure it out from what I have read online; as you say, it should work, but here it doesn't.
And as i mentioned above, my after-thought of trying a userChrome.css with Firefox Portable also proved ineffective.
Thanks for your time and effort on this.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-16, 20:42

Are you sure it's in the right profile? Open about:support from your address bar, in the upper table you find a button to open your profile folder.

jcw814

Unread post by jcw814 » 2015-03-18, 05:40

Problem solved.
The problem was in the beginning @namespace line which I had copied from a web article about the userChrome.css file.
The web article surrounded the URL in the @namespace line in "curly" or "smart" quotes which are not recognized as straight quotes in coding, at least not in this case.
The result was that the URL in that line, when I pasted it in the userChrome.css file, had a beginning and ending character which was not recognized.
I find that the URL in the @namespace line need not be in quotes at all.
Regret the inconvenience to persons in this forum.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-18, 08:26

Sure enough! I didn't catch that one in your original quote.

SvenG

Re: [Solved] Can't get userChrome.css to work

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-18, 09:31

That happens when people create their websites in MS Word or stuff like that... and don't test the outcome. And it's hard to catch cause on first sight it doesn't look wrong (unless you have syntax highlighting) also, I guess, most people don't ever type that line, that's what snippets are for.