(XP/Atom) Immediate crash

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
askywhale

(XP/Atom) Immediate crash

Unread post by askywhale » 2015-02-09, 17:02

Operating system: Windows XP sp3 (standard except : no "c:\" drive, everything on "d:\")
Browser version: 25.2.1
32-bit or 64-bit?: 32bit "XP/Atom"
Problem URL: /
Theme: /
Installed add-ons: None
Installed plugins: None

Steps to reproduce :
- install (any method) using palemoon-websetup.exe
- run (any method)
Consequence : immediate "palemoon.exe encountered a Problem and Needs to Close..." ; details "AppVer: 25.2.1.5500[...]Offset:00002377". I'd like to provide more, but I don't know if there is any crash log file created, or debug mode. In the install log, everything is ok, except "Error registering: .... AccessibleMarshal.dll".
Last edited by askywhale on 2015-02-10, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: (XP/Atom) Immediate crash

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-09, 20:37

You need to be running XP SP3. Pale Moon won't run on SP2, sorry.

PS: I f you provide details, please do not leave part of it out with [...] -- that's completely not helpful ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

askywhale

Unread post by askywhale » 2015-02-10, 11:44

Sorry, it was a typo, it's XP sp3. I'll modify the message abvoe if possible.

I had to manually write those data, impossible to avoid being not stupid, sorry.

askywhale

Unread post by askywhale » 2015-02-10, 11:59

Here is the full window :

Code: Select all

AppName: palemoon.exe	 AppVer: 25.2.1.5500	 ModName: palemoon.exe
ModVer: 25.2.1.5500	 Offset: 00002377

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-10, 13:13

Ah, okay, so it crashes in the actual palemoon.exe module? That's most peculiar because there really isn't much code in there at all (it's just the xul loader and app launcher). First thing that comes to mind is that you may have other software installed that changes application run-time behavior (some antivirus, some skinning tools, some other tools that add features to existing programs, etc.) so it would help if you can go over that kind of software and see if there's anything likely to cause issues.

If you want to provide more technical details about the crash:
Unfortunately, crash reporting on Windows XP is a little tricky, and to get a trace of what is actually going on you'll have to take a look at the following article:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/arch ... dumps.aspx

If you can capture an application crash dump file, and send it to me (please use a cloud service to transfer the file like dropbox or file transfer services and sending me a PM with the link) I can investigate it and see if there is a specific reason for this crash.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

askywhale

Unread post by askywhale » 2015-02-10, 14:19

OK, I'll try this. But you can ignore my message for now, it seems like my harddisk is having a hard time, I'll go for a bunch of tests/antivirus/... in the next days.
Here is another info, the md5 here : 2EF6676669EA411F70C638A0C6F7CBFE palemoon.exe