Smooth scrolling

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
TheRealShane

Smooth scrolling

Unread post by TheRealShane » 2014-12-30, 04:33

Hi,

Okay, I've disabled smooth scrolling and the flickering horizontal 'crease' appears to have gone. Like when scrolling a story at BBC News, say. This is in XP, in a PM profile shared with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. Also the Geforce driver build is the same in each. This artifact or whatever you call it only occurs in XP. It isn't really an issue because, like I say, deselecting smooth scrolling seems to have fixed it, and anyway I'm hardly ever in XP.

I just have a question: what is the benefit of hardware acceleration? I've got ~3400 GHz of dual-core Athlon here, with 8 GB of RAM, and another GB on the graphics card and even if there seem to be truly massive amounts of RAM out there these days, those specs still seem way more than my online requirements most, if not all, of the time.

Shane

nb. I see there's an html button here for sarcasm. I bet that's good.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Smooth scrolling

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-30, 08:46

Windows XP can't properly take advantage of hardware acceleration (which off-loads rendering tasks to the GPU), and as a result, smooth scrolling may cause some "tearing". You may want to check to make sure that you use "VSync" in your XP graphics card control panel for 3D applications, which may also help alleviate the problem.

The benefit of HWA is that it can take advantage of the hardware specifically designed to do graphics manipulation - keeping things on the GPU and in video memory is many, many times faster than redrawing and then pushing the resulting page data to the video card for display. 3.4GHz doesn't matter much if you are actually pushing Gbs of data over your PCI bus to re-paint the browser window in rapid succession.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2014-12-30, 21:49

Thanks Moonchild.

Incidentally, I just tried to log in to reply and got a message about the account being inactive. So now I'm Peter Lorre.

So, I should install the 3D drivers? Well, it won't hurt anyway, I guess. I just install the graphics driver and the HD Audio (plus, in XP, Nview - solely for taskbar translucence, though it's rather less reliable in XP x64 than it was in XP x86).

It's been many years since I read up on graphics cards. Your explanation has stirred a dim memory of specs concerning things like 'mipmaps' and all the wonderful things graphics cards can do. And of course, the relatively old, mid-range, if that, card I have now - GT610 - is far more powerful than the one I had when I last read about them!

Okay, time to boot XP and check out VSync.

Shane

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2014-12-31, 07:54

Shane/Peter/Joel -- You have to make sure your e-mail is valid and remains valid. If mail becomes undeliverable, your account on this forum will be deactivated and you will need to reactivate it (which requires the e-mail address to be valid and able to receive mail).

A side note for whomever reads this: Please check and verify the validity of your e-mail address (in your user control panel under account settings) and update it if needed.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2014-12-31, 13:00

Yes, I forgot to mention that part - that I didn't have the address I registered with anymore. Though I deleted it months ago, so I guess it's a yearly check?

Meanwhile I've actually reinstalled XP - just got round three of updates coming down now. I had seriously disabled 'net connection in April, but 'recommissioned' XP after learning you could still get Server 2003 updates for it (good until next July); only I couldn't remember everything I'd done.

At this point I have the Geforce drivers installed - everything but HD Audio and Geforce Experience - and Vertical Sync set to 'On' rather than the default 'Let the 3D application decide' - and 'tearing' is still visible.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2014-12-31, 19:10

Okay, so XP bang up to date, latest Nvidia drivers installed, VSync set to 'On' in the Nvidia Control Panel (and other settings that look like they could help - though now in Win 7 so can't say offhand which). Going through Pale Moon Commander now. Would I be right in supposing that 'Enable 2D Acceleration' uses DX10 in Vista and above, but is ignored in XP - that is, that it won't cause problems? Possibly that it would cause problems if 'Force' was selected? Perhaps the difference is between a blacklisted driver and no driver; the first could cause problems, with the second the possibility just doesn't arise?

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-01-20, 19:47

Incidentally, I gave up on this. Never did eliminate the tearing and XP just isn't worth the hassle for me. Especially as I got side-tracked by Shutdown problems. I did a fresh install and applied the Updates in manageable groups; re-installed the drivers/third party stuff. Eventually figured it out - moving the pagefile! And putting it back on C: didn't cure it; I had to give it the original sizes, i.e. 2048G minimum, 16384G max. Et voila, no more Shutdown problems! Get XP x64 configured just right and it isn't bad; but it's such a fine line. I'm not even sure why I still run it!