How can I completely disable the damn cert checking system???

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Rekrul

How can I completely disable the damn cert checking system???

Unread post by Rekrul » 2018-04-24, 01:51

Yes, I'm still using XP/ I know; DOOM! GLOOM! APOCALYPSE!!!

OK, now that's out of the way, I've just encountered an infuriating bug in Pale Moon for XP, one that previously hit me while using Firefox. Namely that the stupid certificate verification system suddenly goes haywire and absolutely refuses to allow me to access various sites no matter what I do. Prior to this, if I couldn't access a site in Firefox, I'd switch to Pale Moon, but now Pale Moon has jumped on the "I'm going to block this site and there's nothing you can do about it!" bandwagon.

I try to go to a site where the cert has expired. Pale Moon warns me that this is an untrusted site. Just bypass it you say? IMPOSSIBLE! The option that normally says "I understand the risks" is missing and none of the tricks on the net will make it appear. Believe me I've been through them all many times over. Changing one of the entries in About:Config makes it appear but it doesn't actually work. It goes through all the motions, but Pale Moon still won't let me access the site. The damn warning page just keeps coming up. Uncheck the option to validate security certs online? Doesn't work. Clear the cache? Doesn't work.

How about adding an exception manually? Yeah, that does jack s***. Same damn warning page.

Pale Moon has decided that I'm not allowed to access this site, no way, no how.

So is there a way I can disable the whole damn cert system? I'm willing to take the risk, so how do I get Pale Moon to stop babysitting me?

Failing that, has anyone ever figured out what causes this bug?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How can I completely disable the damn cert checking system???

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-24, 12:22

You can't disable the "damn cert checking system" because it is integral to the browser's core security.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite