"sfc" sets back all settings

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
visionhelp

"sfc" sets back all settings

Unread post by visionhelp » 2017-12-16, 12:55

Probably just a little thing.

Using "sfc" of XP sets back the settings of PM.

"sfc" I use, from time to time.
"System File Control" copys the System Files from the XP install CD, where missing.

dark_moon

Re: "sfc" sets back all settings

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-12-16, 13:17

sfc shouldnt affect Pale Moon.
Maybe your system is corrupt but anyway you should upgrade to a supported OS.

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2017-12-16, 16:14

It happened now twice. I cannot imagine, what from "sfc" sets back the settings of PM.

I sadnessly cannot do a "sfc" and do monitoring the settings-file, or what ever, what is happening from "sfc" to do this. I do not know how.

XP is the end of my interessts in Microsoft´s products ever, I hope.
There from my interessts and curiousity is big in having a Pale Moon browser for XP as long as possible.
The next is Knoppix, Tails, or the Metamorphose, or perhaps someone builds an XP or very similar, FREE, reliable, stable, and will get hopefully many donations to such a work.
One link to one I did find on the forum here, with kernel-building and what. Not that I know really what this is. (I just do not have link, sorry.)
My support in mind he has.
And also Pale Moon.

A link for first infos http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... tamorphose

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-16, 18:51

SFC should (as the name "System File Checker" suggests) only checks and replaces protected system files that have been altered. It should not in any way influence your program data or settings.
System File Checker

The system file checker utility, Sfc.exe, allows administrators to scan all protected resources to verify their versions.

Files critical to restart Windows that do not match the expected Windows version may be replaced with the correct versions. If a file is repaired, the corresponding registry data is also repaired. Protected files not critical to restart Windows are not repaired.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2017-12-16, 20:45

Yes, it really should not.

If I would know how to monitor the run of "sfc", I would do it. An advice ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-16, 23:04

You should not have to run SFC at all, period. If you regularly need it then there's something not quite right with your OS and you should probably reinstall it.

If you do run it, I suggest that you, before running it, use the Pale Moon backup tool to back up your profile, and if it is somehow influenced by the repair run, restore the backup.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-12-16, 23:20

If you need to monitor system changes, run ProcessMonitor

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2017-12-16, 23:23

Thanks for the advice the Pale Moon backup tool. A link to a description, where I can find it ?
I did never read about it.

I did uninstall all .NET Framework. And Open Office. Both I do not need.

After this a "sfc" run makes sense for me.

"ProcessMonitor". Thanks. A link for reliable download and easy description, please ? Thank you.
You are sure ? ProcessMonitor is the right tool for this change of being gone or changed the settings-file ?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-12-17, 11:06

You need to learn how to use a search engine.

https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... nitor.aspx

No, you dont need to run sfc after uninstall programs. sfc is for if your system files are corrupted.:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ted-system

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2017-12-17, 15:24

Many thanks for the link the Pale Moon backup-tool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ted-system
"System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files."

Thanks this link and info.

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2017-12-26, 12:45

Moonchild wrote: . . . use the Pale Moon backup tool to back up your profile, and if it is somehow influenced by the repair run, restore the backup.
Thanks, this tool is genius easy to use, great. I like it.

A note: when checking the path, without marking the already set path again, this path does not stay, in spite of light marked.
Without marking it exact again and using OK OR exit, this path for the backup is changed and saved in the main-folder c:\, my experience, in XP.
Last edited by visionhelp on 2017-12-26, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.