palemoon.exe is not a valid Win32 application . . . Windows XP SP3

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
CurlySue

palemoon.exe is not a valid Win32 application . . . Windows XP SP3

Unread post by CurlySue » 2017-09-09, 19:32

Hello everyone! :o)

After watching a compelling YouTube video, I decided to test Pale Moon with the hopes I can DUMP firefox 51.1.1 and EVERYTHING firefox.

I downloaded the exe file direct from the current x86 version from the Pale Moon dot org website. The install proceeded and completed without error message(s). Unfortunately, when I clicked on the Pale Moon icon (on my desktop), a pop-up window ERROR MESSAGE states . . . palemoon.exe is not a valid Win32 application . . . and when I went to the Pale Moon directory folder and clicked on the same file, the same ERROR MESSAGE occurred.

The file info reads . . . 27.4.2.6442 - 20170821174052

Any thoughts (other than DUMP Windows XP)?

Thank you.

CurlySue

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: palemoon.exe is not a valid Win32 application . . . Windows XP SP3

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-09, 21:57

I don't know which file you downloaded but the regular installer will tell you that you need at least Windows Vista. The portable version won't complain because that is a simple self-extracting archive, but trying to use the browser on XP will result in this error.

The Pale Moon website clearly lists the minimum system requirements -- you cannot run any Pale Moon 27.0 or later on Windows XP.

See also http://www.palemoon.org/PM_end_of_WinXP_support.shtml
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CurlySue

Unread post by CurlySue » 2017-09-10, 03:49

Thanks for your reply, MoonChild.

I do see that now . . . missed it because I only looked at x86.

Will try the PORTABLE version . . . and review the link you recommended.

Thank you!

CurlySue

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-10, 04:06

Maybe you misunderstood.

The installer of the portable won't complain but you won't be able to use it.
The regular installer (both offline and web-installer) won't allow you to install when on XP.

Not sure what other way you tried to install if it wasn't the portable already.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

CurlySue

Unread post by CurlySue » 2017-09-10, 04:10

Did misunderstand . . . and prior to reading your follow-up post, I discovered EXACTLY what you already knew and conveyed in your original reply.

Sorry - my bad.

Will try on my 2nd favorite PC, a Windows 7 machine sitting next my favorite XP SP3 . . . but only the PORTABLE x64 version, no installs now.

Thanks again!

CurlySue

CurlySue

Unread post by CurlySue » 2017-09-10, 04:17

Moonchild wrote: The Pale Moon website clearly lists the minimum system requirements -- you cannot run any Pale Moon 27.0 or later on Windows XP.
Taking this advise, I downloaded 26.5.0 and at the beginning of the install a pop-up window stated "...Windows Vista..."

You might consider investigating and or updating your perspective on 27.0 (as noted above).

I'm going to try a few other releases and see where the actual line was drawn.

Forgive me tenacity, I'm just a stubborn electrical engineer whom prefers fact over conjecture.

Thanks again!!

CurlySue

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-10, 04:26

CurlySue wrote:Taking this advise, I downloaded 26.5.0 and at the beginning of the install a pop-up window stated "...Windows Vista..."
Where did you download that from? By my recollection, you need the Atom version of Pale Moon 26.5.0 in order for it to run on Windows XP. That version should be available here:

http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

CurlySue

Unread post by CurlySue » 2017-09-10, 04:41

Hello again! :o)

FileHippo . . . tried all 26.X.X versions and all pop-up windows stated same "... Windows Vista ..."

Did not try the Atom version since my processor is not as inferior as the Atom.

I'm done experimenting and investigating XP and will not waste more time on the "pathetic" Atom version.

Thanks again!

CurlySue

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-10, 05:25

CurlySue wrote: tried all 26.X.X versions and all pop-up windows stated same "... Windows Vista ..."
And that's because, for Pale Moon 26.x.x, you need the Atom version if you are going to run it on Windows XP.
For the record, it's not "pathetic."
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-10, 09:22

Well, if you think the Atom version is not worth trying and you're eager to use derogatory terms for it, then you won't get any further.

As stated, the only 26.* version that is compatible with Windows XP is the version that also builds with some extra optimizations and considerations for Atom-class processors (but is otherwise exactly the same as the mainline version). This was done because having a separate version for both XP and Atom (but not XP) was just inefficient, and Atom-based netbooks would have a high chance of running XP anyway. That doesn't make the build "pathetic" or not worth using. If FileHippo doesn't list the Atom versions, then you should grab them from our official archive FTP instead of the unofficial third party.

CurlySue

Unread post by CurlySue » 2017-09-10, 18:59

Moonchild wrote:Well, if you think the Atom version is not worth trying and you're eager to use derogatory terms for it, then you won't get any further.

As stated, the only 26.* version that is compatible with Windows XP is the version that also builds with some extra optimizations and considerations for Atom-class processors (but is otherwise exactly the same as the mainline version). This was done because having a separate version for both XP and Atom (but not XP) was just inefficient, and Atom-based netbooks would have a high chance of running XP anyway. That doesn't make the build "pathetic" or not worth using. If FileHippo doesn't list the Atom versions, then you should grab them from our official archive FTP instead of the unofficial third party.
WHAT YOU FAILED TO STATE, AND CONTINUE TO OBFUSCATE IS THE FACT THAT YOU DID STATE, "...you cannot run any Pale Moon 27.0 or later on Windows XP" AND I PROVED YOU WRONG - AND NOW YOU HIDE BEHIND OBFUSCATIONS AND ARE NOT ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS.

GFY

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-10, 19:13

Your first post itself says that you got an error with 27.4.2 version. And writing everything in CAPS doesn't prove anything.
If you are able to use Pale Moon (27) on XP, what is the point of this thread? Go, Be happy!

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-09-10, 20:28

Pale Moon is required to be recompiled from scratch for any possibility of using it with XP!

Microsoft's newfangled compiler causes Windows XP to reject the application with the dreaded "X is not a valid Win32 application" error message.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-10, 20:53

Pale Moon 27.0 and later cannot be run on Windows XP.
Pale Moon 26.5.0 can only be run on Windows XP if you use the Atom/WinXP version; this has been the case for a very long time.

Since there's clearly nothing but trollish behavior otherwise to be expected, this thread is locked, and OP has been shown the door.

Thank you for your attention, carry on.