YouTube Issues

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Bethrezen

YouTube Issues

Unread post by Bethrezen » 2017-09-03, 19:50

Hi all

I know that XP support has ended, however I'm wondering if there is anyway to force YouTube vids to play in HD on Version: 26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP)

Now previously this wasn’t a problem because I was able to use YouTube Flash Video Player addon to force YouTube vids to play in flash instead of HTML 5 which allowed me to play vids in HD however Google seem to have changed something and now I can only get videos to play in HTML5 and under HTML5 I only seem to be offered 360p resolution and the video quality is so poor that most vids are unwatchable.

So I'm wondering if there is some way I can make YouTube give me the option to play at higher resolutions, are there any options under about:config maybe ? or is the 26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP) version of Palemoon simply not able to play HTML vids in HD ?

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: YouTube Issues

Unread post by adisib » 2017-09-03, 20:11

Using viewtube might allow you to get more options, at least it did in the past for Pale Moon 26. Maybe try it out and see?
http://isebaro.com/viewtube/?ln=en

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-03, 20:26

GoogleTube won't offer the use of Flash on its own site anymore. That has been a change "by design" and it is simply no longer available in that format except for externally embedded videos. I expect external videos to become html5-only as well in the near future.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

theelf

Unread post by theelf » 2017-10-03, 17:41

Bethrezen wrote:Hi all

I know that XP support has ended, however I'm wondering if there is anyway to force YouTube vids to play in HD on Version: 26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP)

Now previously this wasn’t a problem because I was able to use YouTube Flash Video Player addon to force YouTube vids to play in flash instead of HTML 5 which allowed me to play vids in HD however Google seem to have changed something and now I can only get videos to play in HTML5 and under HTML5 I only seem to be offered 360p resolution and the video quality is so poor that most vids are unwatchable.

So I'm wondering if there is some way I can make YouTube give me the option to play at higher resolutions, are there any options under about:config maybe ? or is the 26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP) version of Palemoon simply not able to play HTML vids in HD ?
Try new palemoon for XP

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

In my PC (C2D 1.6ghz + intel GMA950) i can select any resolution, up to 1080p. html5 is slow like hell compared to flash, but at least works

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-03, 19:17

To be clear, those builds are not "Pale Moon for XP" -- it's an early release of a fork of Pale Moon (that still needs its own name). Your mileage may vary.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

theelf

Unread post by theelf » 2017-10-04, 00:22

Moonchild wrote:To be clear, those builds are not "Pale Moon for XP" -- it's an early release of a fork of Pale Moon (that still needs its own name). Your mileage may vary.
You right, the name is New Moon, and for now no problem at all in XP 32bits and XP 64bits, in all PCs I tested, Pentium 4 3.4ghz+8600GT, pentium M 1.2ghz+intel 8xx, C2D 1.6ghz+GMA950, Pentium D 3.4ghz+ATI 4350, Pentium 3 1.4ghz+Voodoo 3