Complete YouTube Saver

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Complete YouTube Saver

Unread post by Drugwash » 2017-08-09, 13:41

Few days ago found out about CYS and installed it, this is the first time reading this topic.
My setup is XP-SP3 on relatively weak hardware, Pale Moon 25.8.1 with CYS 5.7.36.1 (yes, the PM version).
The only problem I have with CYS is that upon opening any YouTube page, all icons pertaining to the Quick Java add-on dissapear from the add-on bar at the bottom and they cannot be restored by any means other than a browser restart.
Granted this last available version 2.0.4.1 of Quick Java has its longstanding bug in that it "captures" icons of other add-ons which then become unmovable, but CYS shouldn't remove Quick Java's icons (together with the "captured" ones) in any situation. I must mention that CYS' icon is displayed in the PM toolbar at the top, not in the bottom add-on bar so theoretically there should be no interference.

Otherwise CYS has been doing its downloading job for the little tests I've performed so nothing bad to report in that area.

Was wondering if anyone else experienced such issue with CYS and Quick Java or any other add-on's icon(s). Thanks.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Complete YouTube Saver

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-08-11, 23:47

Drugwash wrote:The only problem I have with CYS is that upon opening any YouTube page, all icons pertaining to the Quick Java add-on dissapear from the add-on bar at the bottom and they cannot be restored by any means other than a browser restart.
. . . . . . . . . . .
Was wondering if anyone else experienced such issue with CYS and Quick Java or any other add-on's icon(s).

Using PM 27.4.1, Win 7 x86.

I have experienced the same issue with buttons of certain extensions. Examples: Error Console and Change Referer Button.
(Also with Pale Moon's padlock - if it had been placed on the Status Bar by setting browser.padlock.style to 9.)

It occurs on PM 27.*, 26.5, 25.8.1, and on Firefox 24.8.1esr if Status-4-Evar is installed.

Specifically, the icons disappear whenever the mouse hovers anywhere on CYS' dropdown menu.

The common factor among affected icons seems to be that they are all old-style Status Bar buttons. Meaning those non-movable buttons that get put in a special place on the far right end of the Status Bar when certain extensions are installed. That "place" becomes visible if you view the Status Bar in customize mode, it's the area at far right that is shaded with diagonal bars:

"Status Bar button area" without buttons.
status-bar.png
status-bar.png (732 Bytes) Viewed 3424 times
With buttons inside.
status-bar2.png

It actually looks to be the "Status Bar button area" itself that gets removed - It disappears on mouse hover even when it contains no buttons. So when the "container" disappears, the icons inside it disappear as well.

I have not ever seen this issue occur with the movable toolbar buttons that don't live in that "container."

So maybe a workaround for some extension buttons could be to turn off the display of status bar buttons (where the extension has that option) and use the extension's toolbar buttons from the customize palette instead. (QuickJava appears to have that option.)

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2017-08-12, 07:19

Thank you for replying, your observations are (almost) completely accurate.
The only inaccuracy is that the status-bar element does not get removed - it is being set to a width of zero pixels, thus becoming invisible.
I have just checked that in DOM Inspector. Manually setting the width attribute to a positive value (in my case about 260px) will reveal the status-bar element complete with its icons.
However, the real width of this element is usually calculated internally based on the number (and shape?) of the icons.
Haven't looked at the add-on code (and I dunno much about web languages anyway), maybe someone else could help in this regard.

[EDIT]
Wanna get something done - do it yourself. :roll:
Not sure if what I've done is 100% safe but upon a quick test it did work, status-bar width has not been tampered with anymore.
Also not sure if both changes were necessary.
There may be a loss of functionality if add-on's button was placed in the status-bar area so make sure you move it to the toolbar area before modifying files.
Also back up the original add-on files (or the entire add-on XPI) so everything can be restored in case something goes wrong.

1. In \defaults\preferences\cys.js down at the bottom inside pref("browser.uiCustomization.state") I removed "addon-bar":["addonbar-closebutton","status-bar"],
2. In \chrome\content\cysOverlay.xul I've commented out the block dealing with status-bar:

Code: Select all

<!--
   <statusbar id="status-bar">
        <statusbarpanel id="cys-statusbar-display" insertBefore="statusbar-display" crop="center" label="" flex="1" hidden="true"/>
    </statusbar>
--> 
Changes were performed directly to the installed files in the profile folder (<profile name>\extensions\{AF445D67-154C-4c69-A17B-7F392BCC36A3}), followed by a browser restart.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-08-12, 21:44

Drugwash wrote:Wanna get something done - do it yourself.

Glad you did.
Your fix works really well. Thank you for undertaking it. :)

And nothing adversely affected by it that I could see.
(Unfortunately, as of late CYS is partly broken in PM 27.* with respect to actual downloading. It's a very recent thing, see here. So am looking forward to the new version that's supposed to be in the works.)

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2017-08-13, 05:05

You're welcome. :)
Good to know nothing was affected, hopefully it will be alright for everybody.

Dunno what Google are up to but I feel it's not gonna be for the good. They already put timeouts into some links and when my bandwidth is capped at 15kB/s I can't even download a video in a single shot. Up until now I used to use FlashGot that was sending download links to FlashGet and when download timed out I had to refresh the page, get a new download link, replace the previous one in the unfinished download and continue until it was done. Not to mention at times my 3G modem disconnects by itself or just stalls for a minute or two then reconnects, at which point the interrupted download would fail if it weren't for FlashGet that can resume it (sometimes). Dunno what I'll do now with CYS because it doesn't know about download managers. And FlashGot most likely won't get any update for the old style version.