Compilling Palemoon For XP Topic is solved

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
QueenXP

Compilling Palemoon For XP

Unread post by QueenXP » 2017-07-22, 13:58

Hi I triple boot XPx86/XPx64/10x64.
I need some help ? Can I have it ?
I want to compile Palemoon for my two secondary os XP 32bit and 64bit .
I have Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Update 2
What i need to start ? what kinda .mozconfig i need to target XP x86 and x64 ?
can this girl of 17 can have some help ?

lyceus

Re: Compilling Palemoon For XP

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-07-23, 04:50

Hello!

The trouble is that the only version that you can compile on Windows XP is the 26 branch. The 27 branch did deprecated a lot of DLL calls in favor of modern processors and libraries. You would need to recompile and rewrite the code of all these in order to get working v27 in Windows XP! :o I don't say is impossible, but is not an easy one for sure.

QueenXP

Unread post by QueenXP » 2017-07-23, 07:02

Only GetTickCount64 is missing . It can be embedded by the Compiler as vc++2013 re dist runtime has that . Oh Dear I am compiling for XP not 98 or 2000

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-23, 12:13

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. It's not just the 64-bit counter that is missing from XP that's needed for the current release code though; there are other things that specifically support XP that have been removed from the code over time; if you really want to build for XP, then you have to reinstate that code (in your own fork/branch). Carefully check commit history for any mention of XP to get an indication of what all you need to tackle; it won't be straightforward, at any rate.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2017-07-23, 22:01

I'm certainly interested in having PM on XP, but I can't commit the time required to attempt it.

My planned approach at one time was to get 27.0.0 working first, then move up the versions one by one. It seems a less daunting approach than just attacking 27.4.0 right away.

And even before that... QueenXP, have you successfully compiled PM for newer Windows, as it's currently intended? I think that should be the starting point.

TheDeadFish

Unread post by TheDeadFish » 2017-07-25, 22:19

It should take hardly any effort to get the current version compiled for XP, whatever support for XP that has been removed so far is really not critical for function. I am using the official 27.4 binary on 2003 (basically XP SP3), and it only took a few simple patches to the binary to make it work (exe header os version, GetTickCount64 import, and the os version check routine). Not to say doing this is a good idea, there is probably plenty of nasty silent errors which would become obvious when compiling from source. I do have quite allot of browser crashes.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-07-25, 22:44

Hey i already using latest Palemoon on xp. And say with confidence that it runs good, much better than Firefox 52. However there is no so called MSE on XP, thus many online video wont show. I thinking though how to overcome.

If you familiar with code compiling at all, then you can do it easily.
For 27.4 there are 15 code files to be edited, 10 of them for webgl. So if people asking i have to update my post of building for xp.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16241

QueenXP

Unread post by QueenXP » 2017-07-29, 12:07

Mercury wrote:I'm certainly interested in having PM on XP, but I can't commit the time required to attempt it.

My planned approach at one time was to get 27.0.0 working first, then move up the versions one by one. It seems a less daunting approach than just attacking 27.4.0 right away.

And even before that... QueenXP, have you successfully compiled PM for newer Windows, as it's currently intended? I think that should be the starting point.
Yes I can . its too easy if you follow the fantastic guide provided by MoonChild

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-07-31, 04:42

QueenXP wrote:Only GetTickCount64 is missing . It can be embedded by the Compiler as vc++2013 re dist runtime has that . Oh Dear I am compiling for XP not 98 or 2000
Off-topic:
Pale Moon for Windows 98? That would be nice for my vintage PIII/233 that still kicks around, I can install windows XP and even 7 there, but the performance is less that stellar.
Seriously, I support like others the idea of Windows XP and PM 27.x as in my country and personally I still use machines with Windows XP and Windows 10 is far to be an option. Good luck! :thumbup:

QueenXP

Unread post by QueenXP » 2017-08-05, 07:01

lyceus wrote:
QueenXP wrote:Only GetTickCount64 is missing . It can be embedded by the Compiler as vc++2013 re dist runtime has that . Oh Dear I am compiling for XP not 98 or 2000
Off-topic:
Pale Moon for Windows 98? That would be nice for my vintage PIII/233 that still kicks around, I can install windows XP and even 7 there, but the performance is less that stellar.
Seriously, I support like others the idea of Windows XP and PM 27.x as in my country and personally I still use machines with Windows XP and Windows 10 is far to be an option. Good luck! :thumbup:
I have got it compiled and working ,
NewMoon seems to be coming from our new guy ,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16241

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-08-07, 01:30

Subscribed to the new post. Good luck! :thumbup: