Can we get PMP v26.5 put up on the XP download page, please?

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
d3v14n7

Can we get PMP v26.5 put up on the XP download page, please?

Unread post by d3v14n7 » 2017-03-05, 00:13

As security was one erroneous concern cited regarding the choice to drop XP support, can we get the safest PM incarnation upped to the legacy download page?
I have only been able to locate a v26.4 elsewhere on the web and I don't want to download your 4+Gb legacy archive only to discover it may not actually be present.
Even if it is included, that's still a massive waste of bandwidth to acquire one small file.

While I accept other reasoning for abandonment of XP support, security concerns are a fallacy.
As I've similarly stated elsewhere, any general OS is primarily a hardware and software interface and security of pipes, protocols and executables are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, not the OS.
XP is no more of less safe than any other OS once you've closed MS' built-in back doors and disabled ActiveX.
TIA.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Can we get PMP v26.5 put up on the XP download page, please?

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-03-05, 00:29

d3v14n7 wrote:I have only been able to locate a v26.4 elsewhere on the web
Have you looked here ...

http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml

... ?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

d3v14n7

Unread post by d3v14n7 » 2017-03-05, 00:31

That's the page I'm requesting the link to be placed upon, alongside the install version that's there already.

Sorry, I thought it'd be more relevant posted in the "XP" forum sub-category than the "Portable" one, and I didn't want to duplicate.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-03-05, 01:41

d3v14n7 wrote:That's the page I'm requesting the link to be placed upon, alongside the install version that's there already.
??? :?
That is 26.5.0... ;)

"Pale Moon 26.5.0 for Atom/Windows XP
Size: 20,087,280 Bytes
SHA256: 2e52237fdf1da362a07153b743283872a4e20c58c32c35de75e940a42cc3b250
Download link: [Europe] [USA] [Asia]
"
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-05, 09:43

@hackerman1: Yes, it is 26.5.0 because that is the last version for XP. Did you even read, or did you just jump on this thread to reply? ;)

However, the archived versions FTP should have all of these though...? Including Portable. No need to grab the archive.org massive archive.

As an aside:
XP is no more of less safe than any other OS once you've closed MS' built-in back doors and disabled ActiveX.
Unfortunately that's not true. Unmaintained O.S. software will run into the situation where known vulnerabilities are found in system libraries that will go unpatched, and as such will remain vulnerable to the same attack indefinitely.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

d3v14n7

Unread post by d3v14n7 » 2017-03-05, 20:45

Thanks very much indeed for the link, Moonchild.
It would be appreciated if you could simply add the direct link to the XP page FOR OTHERS... and everyone will be progressive and cheery and you can let XP die as you wish, while we all get to remain a cosy considerate crew.

Right!...

I don't see how unpatched libraries affect security when you're intercepting all piped calls using a manual HIPs and firewall, as I do.

It's illogical that I am at the same risk or more of attack from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, nVidia* etc. using XP than I would be using Win10, which has been built to be wide open and feeding up to the cloud.

*I got banned from a forum for persistently asking about NVXDSYNC and receiving only bullshit answers - as everyone else I found on the web has encountered also.
nvxdsync has been attached to nV control panel so the latter can't normally be invoked without it, thus forcing one to enable it if they so wish to set best default settings.
I've managed to leave it on my system yet block it completely, so nV control panel is still working.
If I terminated it, control panel wouldn't invoke.
With the latest nV driver I found I couldn't even initially achieve this, so I bailed and rolled-back due to my particular impatience and a need to use my computer.
Hence I am still using a perfectly good older driver.
Being forced to be compromised by artificially-created dependency has to f'ing stop!

Most of their evil tools didn't exist back then and are not supported by XP now that they do.

Hell! I even caught MS trying to retrofit their evil spy crap into my Win7 box through two or three updates after I locked down the bundled spy services.

The vast major of malicious services, and spying apps that they lure idiots with, didn't exist, and many are not supported, by XP, so I can't hope to fathom your logic here, Moonchild.

XP was released in 2001.

The no-planes - no-deaths (fire symbolism) opening ceremony for this brutal attack on mankind that has now ramped up to incredible levels (now using fake terrorist and disaster news every bloody day!) also occurred in 2001.

I seriously don't see much in the way of back-doors built into XP that aren't fairly common knowledge and readily accessible in order to disable.

Unlike with Win10, where attempting to take control and lock it down cripples the system through intentionally created dependencies, like what they've done to ensure Windows Firewall must sit between you and your web interactions else Windows Update and installing fonts (and possible others I did not encounter) will not work.

Seriously, I appreciate your coding, protocol, and systems knowledge, but I really have no idea where you are coming from with such statements.

Hell! I even caught MS trying to retrofit their evil CERN-feeding spy crap into my Win7 box through two or three updates after I locked down the usual bundled spy services.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-05, 21:17

In light of off-topic uninformed reply, locking this thread to prevent a lengthy discussion that will not have a reasonable solution as long as people won't accept the reality of the situation that XP is abandoned by its authors. (let alone wild statements that smell of conspiracist extremism that will serve no purpose but start flame wars - which is, as you should be aware of, against our forum rules)

I see no reason to go out of my way to provide extensive links on the main website for an O.S. and browser version that does not have any support. The link there is for convenience. If that's not good enough, then that's too bad.

Our approach is that we cannot reasonably be expected to support XP - and whether you believe the people with knowledge of the O.S. or not doesn't matter in that respect. You can believe what you want, it won't change the facts. No discussion on a browser forum will change that and your discussion will be better suited for dedicated fora for XP users. Kindly redirect your efforts to there.

I quote from the relevant page:
No further updates will be provided for Windows XP users. With care, you may want to continue running Pale Moon 26.5.0 on your Windows XP system, or switch to a different browser that still maintains support for XP.
We give you the freedom to do so, and provide you with a convenience for your choice if that is what you prefer.
And that is how far we will go.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite