Unable to start Pale Moon after upgrade to version 27 (WinXP) Topic is solved

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Trupik

Unable to start Pale Moon after upgrade to version 27 (WinXP)

Unread post by Trupik » 2016-11-25, 12:19

For those of you, who are suddenly unable to start Pale Moon after upgrade to version 27 on WinXP (like I did):

Reason: Windows XP is not supported anymore. This is not a bug. Deal with it.

Solution: downgrade to version 26.5 (just download and run the installer), turn off automatic updates (Tools > Options > Advanced > Update > Never check for update) and DO NOT update manually ever again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Unable to start Pale Moon after upgrade to version 27 (WinXP)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-25, 12:25

For the record: an upgrade to 27 on Windows XP would not happen automatically - instead, you will be presented with the update window with a link to the end-of-support information.

This is, however, dependent on your user agent when checking for updates; so it is possible, if you have made a global override to not indicate you are on XP (like e.g. useragentswitcher or similar extensions would do), that our server cannot see you are on Windows XP and will provide a "regular" update -- which will not run on XP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Trupik

Unread post by Trupik » 2016-11-25, 13:01

Moonchild wrote:For the record: an upgrade to 27 on Windows XP would not happen automatically - instead, you will be presented with the update window with a link to the end-of-support information.

This is, however, dependent on your user agent when checking for updates; so it is possible, if you have made a global override to not indicate you are on XP (like e.g. useragentswitcher or similar extensions would do), that our server cannot see you are on Windows XP and will provide a "regular" update -- which will not run on XP.
I'm not sure what has gone wrong in my case, but I'm not aware of any useragent modification on my part and yet the Pale Moon did ask me if I want to update, not mentioning any possible problems. Thankfully the downgrade worked well and my profile data survived, so no harm has been done.

I understand the decision to ditch WinXP support and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for getting this browser to where it is today.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-25, 21:39

For your convenience, the previous download page for Windows XP versions at http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml has been updated to offer a direct download to the latest, unsupported version of Pale Moon for XP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Max1964

Unread post by Max1964 » 2016-11-27, 21:36

so Byebye PM for me, it was a short, but good time on/with XP.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-11-27, 21:42

I don't understand the mentality of choosing to give up a great browser to hold onto an obsolete operating system.

What current versions of browsers still work on XP? Sooner or later the answer will be zero.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-27, 22:56

helloimustbegoing wrote:I don't understand the mentality of choosing to give up a great browser to hold onto an obsolete operating system.

What current versions of browsers still work on XP? Sooner or later the answer will be zero.
I don't get it either. And honestly, there are a lot of options that are better than xp these days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-27, 22:58

Max1964 wrote:so Byebye PM for me, it was a short, but good time on/with XP.
Thanks for sharing...?