FF21->PM

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
plmnsr

FF21->PM

Unread post by plmnsr » 2016-11-12, 14:28

Hi,
New to PM, just running for test the PM atom/xp 25.5.0 portable, and it is nice and fast!
If I install this on winXP32sp3 and want to migrate from FF21 to PM,
# which version should I use?
# how do I get all/as much as poss my profile info (bmrks, hist, pwds, addons, settings, etc) over?
# what will work/what will not?
# can I install into the FF21 folder and it will recognize/upgrade?
# as I could not find answers easily for the above, is there a FAQ/URL for all of that?
# is there somewhere an old version of the 'PM profile migration tool' which would be good to use for FF21->PM migration?
# any other tips very welcome!
Also, is the PM commander able to handle some for FF (e.g. making newer protocols work there)?
Thx!
:)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: FF21->PM

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-22, 02:15

plmnsr wrote:which version should I use?
26.5.0-Atom/XP
plmnsr wrote:how do I get all/as much as poss my profile info (bmrks, hist, pwds, addons, settings, etc) over?
If you're coming from Firefox 21, then you should be able to just copy your entire profile folder contents across
plmnsr wrote:what will work/what will not?
Coming from Firefox 21, pretty much everything you have should work.
plmnsr wrote:can I install into the FF21 folder and it will recognize/upgrade?
No. Pale Moon uses its own profile folder and has different application components. You should not install it into the firefox location.
plmnsr wrote: as I could not find answers easily for the above, is there a FAQ/URL for all of that?
You're asking a number of different things ;)
To copy profile files, please see: How do I copy my existing Firefox profile to Pale Moon?
plmnsr wrote:is there somewhere an old version of the 'PM profile migration tool' which would be good to use for FF21->PM migration?
Not publicly available, no, because people would try to use it despite warnings and blame us for broken profiles as a result.

Pale Moon Commander can't magically create support for protocols that aren't present in Firefox. e.g. it won't be able to add support for TLS 1.2 or similar. It's just a configurator, meaning a front-end for existing preferences and options in the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite