Cannot run the installer

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Stealth iNfinite

Cannot run the installer

Unread post by Stealth iNfinite » 2016-10-28, 19:35

The installer for PaleMoon 26.5.0 will not load for some reason and I am stuck on version 26.4.1... Every time I double click it, it extracts and then disappears. Checking task manager doesn't show the installer at that point... Trying earlier installers doesn't work anymore either..

I'm running Windows XP Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.150205-1510 : Service Pack 3

Any idea on what the problem might be?

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Cannot run the installer

Unread post by CraigPD » 2016-10-28, 20:24

Make sure you're using the XP Build and not the regular 32 or 64 bit d/l links.

Stealth iNfinite

Unread post by Stealth iNfinite » 2016-11-06, 16:21

Xp / Atom Build... I downloaded it again and compared the 2 installers (the one I had and the one I just downloaded) and they are the same...

Also, none of the older installers I have will work anymore.. They do the same thing as the newest one... It wasn't always like this since I installed it up to 26.4.1, Even that installer won't work anymore..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-06, 23:10

Did you change anything recently that might interfere with programs launching other programs? Installed/updated your antivirus, perhaps?
Have you checked for malware that might intercept launching .exe files?

Obviously, our installers for older versions haven't changed since they were first published, so if it worked before, it should work now; and can't exactly be the installer's problem. So something must have changed that prevents launching the setup.exe from a temporary folder as it is supposed to do.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JMThomas

Unread post by JMThomas » 2016-12-05, 19:58

I was quite pleased to find the answer about needing the XP installer in the forum. Many products abandoning XP have been deliberately hiding all information required to install the last (down level) version that function on XP. For those of us stick on XP, that's a bummer!

My I politely suggest that the "End of XP support" page https://www.palemoon.org/PM_end_of_WinXP_support.shtml be updated with the link to XP Build http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml ?

Thanks!

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2016-12-29, 15:25

26.5.0 install completes on my customer's XP machine but PM will not come up once installed, error message: palemoon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, blah, blah, blah. Fresh install of Windows XP + SP3 & updates, no AV or AS installed yet. Had to install an older version of Firefox (v48.0.2) which did not require SSE2 support, assuming this is the same deal with PM. Is there an older version of PM that doesn't require SSE2 support or am I screwed? This computer has a Athlon XP 1800+ processor.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2016-12-30, 01:06

kduncan5
There was indeed, why do not to try?
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10003

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2016-12-30, 03:03

OK, so how far back do I need to go before PM doesn't require SSE2 support? If you already know the answer, why not help out? Thank you!