PM doesn't render Flipboard urls

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
mscir

PM doesn't render Flipboard urls

Unread post by mscir » 2016-09-29, 07:10

Pale Moon Version:
26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP) (default theme)

Windows
XP SP3 32 bit

Descrition of problem:
When I visit a link to a Flipboard article (from an email I send myself from my Android Nexus 5x phone) PM renders a blank page, while FF renders the page correctly, here's a typical url:

https://flipboard.com/@flipboard/flip.it%2FrQF-OO-ancient-maya-codex-not-fake-new-analysi/f-c691259bf3%2Fsciencenews.org

I see the source for a complete web page when I view the page source, so I'm wondering why it's not rendering in PM.

Extensions:
Disconnect
FDislike
Google Disconnect
IE Tab
Morning Coffee
Remove It Permanently
Tab Mix Plus
Twitter disconnect
uBlock Origin
Vacuum Places Improved
Webmail Ad Blocker
Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel
YouTube ALL HTML5
Ad-Bye for Facebook

The page renders correctly in FF which has ALL of the same plugins.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: PM doesn't render Flipboard urls

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-29, 15:34

I get a blank page with nothing displayed in Pale Moon and yes it does work in FF. (also works in Chrome and Opera)

But this website does not work in IE11 and produces the webpage below and based on this I'm guessing this is the same problem with Pale Moon as to browser compatibility with this website but that for Pale Moon the message does not get loaded onto the webpage for some reason:
IE w Flibboard website.png
Based on this one would think that perhaps a UA Override setting might possibly help, but I've tried a few likely custom UA candidate changes and no help. :( One thing I didn't bother to try is a fresh Profile, so you could try that if you like (I'm of the opinion this wouldn't make any difference however).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2016-09-30, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

mscir

Unread post by mscir » 2016-09-30, 00:38

Thanks for your post. I installed a UA switcher from here
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/uacontrol/

and entered these *UA strings
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0.1

for the following urls (all flipboard references I saw in the page source that loaded but didn't render), no joy
about.flipboard.com
cdn.flipboard.com
s.flipboard.com
flipboard.com
flipboard

*the first UA string came from here, I modified the 2nd to the version of FF I have that renders Flipboard pgs correctly:
http://useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php

I also tried UA strings for IE, Mozilla, Opera, and some other popular browsers, no joy. Strange problem!
Attachments
ua.gif

mscir

Unread post by mscir » 2016-09-30, 01:27

When I remove this line
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://s.flipboard.com/webapp/css/app-cb0e348b.css" >

From this url source code that renders correctly in Firefox 49.0.1
https://flipboard.com/@flipboard/flip.it%2F2RU5A0-5-ways-artificial-intelligence-will-cha/f-76766f38e2%2Fventurebeat.com

I see this content:

Flipboard
13 Magazines | 18,618 Articles | 175.1M Followers | 22 Likes | @flipboard | Official Flipboard account
What�s New at Flipboard? 2016 Election Coverage, New Publishers & iOS 10 Update

� Follow our extensive coverage of the 2016 Election, curated by The Flipboard News Desk. Catch up on news about the candidates, the biggest issues playing out, the state-wide races and the political ads airing across the country. CNN also has a magazine of the latest polls surrounding the �
Flipboard
6 Reasons to Drink Coffee for Optimal Fitness

1<p>Coffee is an Effective Pre-Workout Drink<p>Look no further than your pantry or local coffee shop for an all natural stimulant and effective pre-workout �
Health
5 Topics to Follow for the Blogger Lifestyle

A few weeks ago we suggested you follow 5 topics that cover the more basic aspects of the business of blogging. Today let�s focus on something equally important: the life of a blogger.<p>After all, there�s more to the blogging life than just sitting at a keyboard tapping out endless blog posts. Let�s �
Productivity
4 Takeaways from MMA SM2 Innovation Summit

This week I attended MMA SM2 Innovation Summit in New York, which took place during Advertising Week. The lineup of speakers did not disappoint and I gained many new insights. Here are the four that most stuck with me.<p><b>1) Marketers want to reach people when they are engaged within their �
Innovation
What the cleaner saw

I heard about the cleaning company from a friend�s boyfriend, a musician who had supported himself by cleaning houses for years. I was living in an apartment in Brooklyn, sharing a windowless bedroom with a friend. She worked at a health food store on Sixth Avenue, ringing up sandwiches � she �
Lifestyle
20 amazing games to celebrate 20 years of Nintendo's N64

Though many folks celebrated the N64�s 20th birthday in June, timed with the Japanese release of the classic console, we here in North America had to �
Legend of Zelda
Baltimore vs. Marilyn Mosby

A little before 7 the other night, the prosecutor Marilyn Mosby stopped by my house in Baltimore for dinner. She was coming straight from work in one of her customary gray pantsuits, and because I was already nursing a beer, she took off her jacket with a sigh and poured herself a glass of white �
Policing
The Real Scandal Behind the Panama Papers

After the leak of more than 11 million documents detailing sensitive, and often terrifying, information about offshore financial and legal activities, the Nobel-laureate economist Joseph Stiglitz was enlisted to help Panama reform its practices. But nothing could have prepared him for what came �
Latin America
Back For Good: How Boy Bands Made It To The Top | uDiscover

The dictionary definition of �boy band� is: �A pop group composed of attractive young men, whose music and image are designed to appeal primarily to �
Boy Band
'Cup Noodles' Turns 45: A Closer Look At The Revolutionary Ramen Creation

Cup Noodles, the dorm-room staple that cooks in three minutes, turns 45 this month. There's no better place to celebrate than its very own museum in Yokohama, Japan.<p>"This is the museum that really honors the creator of instant ramen and Cup Noodles," says museum manager Yuya Ichikawa, who leads me �
Instant Noodles
Some Like It Bot

Artificial intelligence has captured the rhythm of science fiction. For example, the script of a new science fiction short is the creation of a bot. �
Artificial Intelligence
�They put us through hell�: A Marine abused at boot camp explains why he spoke out

Former Pvt. Thomas Jacob Weaver was in bed late one night, near the end of his three months at Marine Corps boot camp, when several drill instructors burst into his platoon�s room. Many of them smelled like they had been drinking whiskey, he said, and they ordered the recruits to crawl over cement �
Boot Camp
How Russia Wants to Undermine the U.S. Election

What's behind Russia's effort to influence the U.S. election<p>The leaders of the U.S. government, including the President and his top national-security advisers, face an unprecedented dilemma. Since the spring, U.S. intelligence and law-enforcement agencies have seen mounting evidence of an active �
Russia
These Asos Warehouse Workers Are Paying The True Price Of Your Order

The heart of the online retailer�s global empire is a giant warehouse in the north of England. But workers there say they are treated like machines to get your order to you wherever you are in the world. A BuzzFeed News investigation reveals allegations of exploitative contracts, an overbearing �
Money
Paris Fashion Week Opens: Pictures
Karlie Kloss
6 Architectural Museums Worth Traveling the World For

Add these to your bucket list now
Museums
New York�s Secret Garden

In 2008, the photographer and film director Francesco Carrozzinibought a townhouse in Greenwich Village for $6.8 million. Ostensibly, he got a four-story brick home built in 1844 with low ceilings and small, dark rooms. But luxury real estate is never about the basics.<p>The house is part of the �
Anna Wintour
On the Red Couch with Nerdist Editor-in-Chief Rachel Heine

<i>There are nerds and then there are Nerdists. When Chris Hardwick started Nerdist.com, he wanted it to be a place for �artful nerds� who don�t just consume content but also create and innovate. It�s a place to celebrate your remix and your tribute art and talk to fellow fans who just binge-watched</i> �
Veronica Mars
Meet the 5 Rising Stars Who Will Dominate Your TV Screens This Fall
Fashion Trends
David Hockney on what turns a picture into a masterpiece

<b>Rembrandt�s A Child Being Taught to Walk, c1656</b><p><b>David Hockney</b>: The moment you put down two or three marks on a piece of paper, you get relationships. They�ll start to look like something. If you draw two little lines they might look like two figures or two trees. One was made first, one second. We �
David Hockney
Millennials have very little confidence in most major institutions

The Democratic Party has a millennial problem.<p>This election cycle, the "party of the young" has had trouble winning over its signature constituents. As Vox�s Jeff Stein recently wrote, "Millennials backed Bernie Sanders in unprecedented numbers during the presidential primary ... now the kids are �
Millennials
How to Tell If You�re a Jerk - Issue 40: Learning

Here�s something you probably didn�t do this morning: Look in the mirror and ask, <i>am I a jerk?</i><p>It seems like a reasonable question. There are, �
Is This the Year Arizona Turns Blue?

Between disaffected Republicans and energized Latinos, all of 2016�s cross-currents have conspired to make this formerly red state one of the cycle�s most contested targets.<p>PHOENIX�The Latino activists here are working their hearts out to change this red state�s political complexion. But when I �
Arizona
Jihadis in Congo? Probably not.

Between October and December 2014, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) endured massacres that killed more than 250 people in Congo�s northeastern Beni region. The DRC government and the U.N. stabilization mission there, known as Monusco (for the United Nations Organization Stabilization �
Congo
How Crazy Is Elon Musk�s Mission to Mars?

Yesterday, billionaire tech entrepreneur and noted late guy Elon Musk unveiled his hotly-anticipated plan to send humans to live�and die�on Mars. And �
Elon Musk
11 Must-Watch TED Talks That Will Make You Insanely Productive

Spend a little time watching these talks now and you'll save a lot of time in the long run.<p>You know the old saying, "It takes money to make money." Well, the same can be said of time.<p>Sure, you'll spend somewhere between five and 20 minutes not working while you watch the TED talks below, but each �
TED Talks
Meet the nuclear cattle of Fukushima

<b>(CNN) �</b> Some families have at least one relative who's either odd or eccentric. Others boast family members of a more unusual kind.<p>That's what one filmmaker discovered in 2011 when he heard of a group of former farmers in Fukushima's nuclear exclusion zone, fighting to keep their radiation-affected �
Fukushima
Behind the Scenes With Shimon Peres

I was on my way to Afghanistan in 2013 when I received a call from my editor asking me to stop in Jerusalem and photograph Shimon Peres, who was about to celebrate his 90th birthday.<p>The difficulty of photographing a world leader is to see past his carefully curated persona in order to reveal a more �
Shimon Peres
The Fastest County in America

A trip through carburetor country.<p>Right in the middle of Kannapolis, North Carolina, not far from where V-8 Street, Sedan Avenue, and Cadillac Street converge, lies a loop of connected one-way roads all named West Avenue. This is an unhurried street crowded with well-maintained one- and two-story �
Dale Earnhardt
Shimon Peres: A Life in Pictures
German History