.png files on BBC website

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
brothbeard

.png files on BBC website

Unread post by brothbeard » 2016-08-25, 15:12

Hi,

I've noticed a problem that causes .png files (and I think only that type) to display incorrectly on the BBC website. It may happen elsewhere but I haven't noticed. Where most images (jpg) display correctly, .png files display in a dark blue monochrome. Has anyone else see this?

I'm running XP SP3 and Pale Moon 26.4.0 (Atom/Win XP) - although it's happened on the last few Pale Moon iterations as well.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: .png files on BBC website

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-08-25, 16:08

Welcome to the forum brothbeard,

Please provide an example of what your are describing by posting a URL (website) that has this problem and/or posting a screen-shot in this topic.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-08-25, 16:36

What I get:
1) http://images.sixrevisions.com/2010/11/17-05_rss_png24.png
png example.png
2) https://dab1nmslvvntp.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/logosavedasjpeg.png
png example 2.png
Do you get something different with either of these two URL links?

If so please post a screen-shot of your results and if so what extensions have you added to Pale Moon since this issue has been occurring?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

brothbeard

Unread post by brothbeard » 2016-08-27, 22:04

Have found the problem elsewhere as well as BBC.

Attached are screen shots of the two images requested...

Curiously they are almost negatives of what I saw on my monitor. The smaller image comes out blue, whilst the second comes out in colour and the screen dumps attached show the opposite.

The only addons I have are Uppity and Adblock Latitude. I have tried disabling the latter but it made no difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-27, 23:52

Can you check if setting gfx.color_management.mode to 0 in about:config corrects this issue for you?
If so, you need to either leave color-management mode off or calibrate color on your monitor for proper ICC display of color-corrected images.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

brothbeard

Unread post by brothbeard » 2016-08-28, 05:46

Wonderful! That's fixed it!

Thank you so much. Odd that this should happen, when I've not had the same problem with Firefox - or perhaps it's not. Anyway that parameter was set to 2 and is now 0.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-28, 19:12

Firefox doesn't support the same level of ICC color correction we do. We're not Firefox.

The main issue is that your color isn't calibrated in Windows. I don't think there's an easy way to do this on XP either if it's way wrong like in your case unless with external tools. Disabling Pale Moon's ICC color management system is the easiest solution in that case, as you've now done.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite