Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
d3v14n7

Re: Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Unread post by d3v14n7 » 2017-02-28, 06:05

Pale Moon or Pale Moon Portable - despite being abandoned and locked at v25.4

They're the safest I've found that enable the user control that Mozilla originally promoted during the early days of building themselves from Netscape.
Other "alternatives" I've found are too linked to evil Google, Microsoft or Mozilla data-harvesting.

Why not use XP by choice?
I do; both x86 and x64.
I NEED XP (x86) FOR MY PHOTO RIBBON PRINTERS.
Printing peripheral manufacturers are the absolute worst for "planned obsolescence" abuse, by simply NOT SUPPLYING DRIVERS for the next OS incarnation.

XP is no more or less safe than any OS - despite oft promoted fear-based BS!
Sure, your new UNSAFE tech' zombie slave toys aren't going to be supported but, if you're so mentally compromised already, you should be well-lubed and using something modern (and pure evil) from Apple, Google or Microsoft and, thus, gaped wide for all.

An OS merely controls internal hardware and software interfacing and data protocols and externalised network interfacing and data protocols.
The internal stuff is no threat as, although most big hardware vendors are now tasked with malicious data-harvesting for CERN profiling, this still requires lapse networking security in order for it to complete.

Basically, NETWORKING SECURITY IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
It always has been!
Use a MANUAL firewall+HIP system.

This is the only way you can prevent security breaches by Microsoft, Google, Apple and all the truly evil Swiss Catholic Knights of Malta constructed corporations.
[Viruses are pretty much a false-flag to prop up the (false sense of) security suite industry. It's the above scum you need to watch for, as well as HW vendors such as nV (another intentional construct) and Intel (another) etc.]

Moderator note: offensive/vulgar language removed. Please stick to the board rules!

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-06-02, 14:25

1. Could you please also add links to Pale Moon 26.5.0 portable, and x64, on https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml?

2. Some Indian dude is trying to implement additional system calls for XP (like KernelEx for Win2000), Palemoon 27 already works:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/176757-extended-kernel-for-xp-extendedxp/?page=1

But be warned, it's an experimental early release, so only for people who really know XP inside and out!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-06-02, 15:19

petrus wrote:1. Could you please also add links to Pale Moon 26.5.0 portable, and x64, on https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml?

Those are in Pale Moon's ftp archive: ftp://archive:get@ftp2.palemoon.org/Pale_Moon/

(FYI, that link is from PM's 'Archived versions' page and can be found using the main site's menubar:
Download -> Other > -> Archived versions)

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-06-08, 17:37

I know, i wasn't asking for me, just in general...

Same download links should be place here as well:
http://www.palemoon.org/PM_end_of_WinXP_support.shtml

There is no link to download the last XP compatible version here at all.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-09, 10:21

There's no need to put download links in a document that provides further explanation. If that would be the case, I would need to put download links for Pale Moon on every page of the website, including "knownissues" "release notes" "technical info" "Pale Moon branding" etc... ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hermit

Unread post by hermit » 2017-06-09, 14:42

An elderly lady posted on another forum wanting help as browser support for XP ending. So has become sort of project to see what one can do with limited hardware. I was surprised absolutely no browser was going to offer XP support. But of the independent browsers they are either based on Mozilla or Chromium rendering engine so when those stop support for something so do all those based on them.

Found my old Panasonic Toughbook CF-50. I hadnt used it in long time. Had TinyXP (hacked version XP that is small and runs quite well) and older version Puppy Linux. This thing has a 1.5ghz single core "M" processor and maxed out at 1.25GB RAM. DVDrom still worked so tried various live linux dvds. The only modern one that would boot to desktop was Sparky Linux with linux kernel 4.5 which is very current. It installed and actually boots to desktop in 30 seconds. Firefox is pretty sluggish, takes 15sec to load, but probably if desperate could use it for basic needs. I ran latest 32bit portable version Iron Browser based on Chromium. It did fine, loads in 5sec, worked ok until it crashed, but with some tweaking of settings, got it to run fairly stable. Firefox is dead on stable but also sluggish.

Now more playing and probably could get a recent version of Puppy or Slitaz to run through a manual install to hard drive. They are lot smaller than Sparky so probably even little faster.

Still have TinyXP installed on own partition. It has some older version Kmeleon and older PaleMoon on it. I guess I havent used the Toughbook since I gave up dialup, no wifi driver in TinyXP. One reason its tiny, they stripped out lot of drivers. I used to like Palemoon until it got so I couldnt use the Firefox extensions. Anymore with any browser I need ad blocker, self destructing cookies, and either NO-SCRIPT or Ghostery. I only have metered cellular data hotspot. No cable or DSL where I live. Its either dialup, cellular, or satellite. And I dont need to share expensive bandwidth with all those advertisers and data collection companies.

I do have couple of those little netbooks that come with win10 so some experience with it. Got them very cheap as they needed repair. They only have 2GB RAM with no way to add more and only atom/celeron processor. Not a powerhouse computer. Win10 is interesting. Did fresh win10 install so got rid of manufacturer bloat using I spent lot time figuring how to strip it of all the Microshaft metro-cloud bloat nonsense and lock it down with third party firewall so it doesnt autoupdate and do its spy thing. Once locked down and stripped of the metro apps, and all its numerous settings set to "NO", it actually not that bad. Latest Firefox and Iron Browser both run fine on it. Again remember its minimalist internet and word processing computer not meant for gaming or editing video. The bios on both are truly obnoxious. The Lenovo will boot linux fine but only from external SSD, really doesnt work well off internal eMMC drive. The Acer I can install linux on internal drive, but it will only boot like one out of every two or three attempts. Just something about the bios, not a bootloader problem. Linux runs fine once it boots, though its also internal eMMC drive.

Seriously though if somebody really feels up against it with XP and doesnt want linux. Look on ebay for retired buisiness computers. Forget the single core, look for dual core either core2duo or turion64. Nearly all these can run win10 or 64bit linux. some for some reason are limited to 2GB max so do your homework. You want one that can officially handle minimum of 4GB RAM, preferably DDR3, but DDR2 ok. And by way you can download win10 from Microsoft website. Look at fine print options during install. You dont need to activate it. Nor do you want a M$ account. Again FINE PRINT OPTIONS. I also suggest using win10LITE script during install to remove metro apps, it seems to work better than removing them after installation. Unactivated, the only limitations are a screen watermark and you cant change wallpaper. And it wont synch with other windows computers. It will update if you want that. This is all fine with Microsoft, no time limit that you can use it like this, at least for now.

There is a freeware third party water mark software that will remove the screen watermark if you go this way. BUT if you use firewall to block it phoning home, the watermark and wallpaper restriction goes away on its own. Just saying. Person have to be nuts to pay to put win10 on some ancient computer so running it unactivated better option. Linux is much better way to go on ancient computer, but some people hate linux.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-06-10, 04:39

The main point of this trouble is that Web as a service evolves with new standards and features. Windows XP will be good for browse internet maybe until the end of 2018, but after that time your bet is to move to Windows 7. I had even installed windows 7 in an old Pentium III/433Mhz with 512 MB RAM and it works enough for see webpages and send email. Don't expect to see you tube in full motion or play Halo on these. :mrgreen:

Your best bet is to grab a copy of Firefox 52.0.2 since is the last version that will support Windows XP. Why I don't recommend Pale Moon? Oh the horror!!! :shock: :wtf:

Because as you need for Granny is the most compatible, less troublesome solution. Pale Moon is not so much loved in places like Google, and it will need several add-ons for work like Firefox. The last version for Windows XP is v26 which is very obsolete, and few add ons will work fine with it.

If you bite the bullet and install some Linux, you can still get the most updated browser so this is a game of white or black with no colors between.

I am not familiar with Opera or others browsers, so people of the forum is your turn to cast a vote to your favorite old-school Windows XP browser! :mrgreen:

MoonMadness

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2017-06-13, 12:47

petrus wrote:1. Could you please also add links to Pale Moon 26.5.0 portable, and x64, on https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml?

2. Some Indian dude is trying to implement additional system calls for XP (like KernelEx for Win2000), Palemoon 27 already works:

But be warned, it's an experimental early release, so only for people who really know XP inside and out!
How reliable has this been working for you?
:)

Makberto

Unread post by Makberto » 2017-08-26, 08:54

Hi, e-group!

As far as I can tell, nobody has mentioned Lunascape browser which, at this very moment (very late August 2017), it still supports Windows XP. Lunascape even supports "different versions" of Windows XP (with some limitations as it pertains to the rendering engine used since Lunascape offers three different engines).

I hope it is fine that I post a link where you can read more information about it. Please note that I am not associated with Lunascape in any way, and I have not used it or tested it extensively. But here is the link:

https://lunascapeblog.wordpress.com/pro ... %E2%80%8E/

I hope this helps.

Makberto

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-08-27, 00:36

Makberto wrote:As far as I can tell, nobody has mentioned Lunascape browser which, at this very moment (very late August 2017), it still supports Windows XP. Lunascape even supports "different versions" of Windows XP (with some limitations as it pertains to the rendering engine used since Lunascape offers three different engines).
One of my "mottos" is that while we may like X ot Y browser, we are not married to them. In my small forum this info will be very valuable as too many people (I run 2 machines with winXP myself) cannot change/upgrade hardware and still uses WinXP. So if people can use this browser for keep up to date then is a win-win scenario for everybody. :thumbup:

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-08-27, 06:06

something similar to Lunascape - Avant Browser, which I recommend :)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Makberto

Unread post by Makberto » 2017-08-28, 02:46

Thanks, Al6bus! Avant Browser appears to be a good alternative (:

Makberto

MoonMadness

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2017-09-25, 13:58

Does Avant Browser work with XP if you use the Firefox or Chrome Engine? Or only with Trident?

Artthe1

Unread post by Artthe1 » 2017-11-25, 10:12

To answer the topic question, I like the New Moon browser. Unlike the last PM for XP, Twitter videos work on this. Search on "msfn new moon" for info.

Katie Boundary

Unread post by Katie Boundary » 2018-01-28, 18:49

As someone who actively maintains and uses an XP x64 (NT 5.2) partition on my current computer, this topic interests me :)

The browser on said partition is Pale Moon 26.5

I'm seeing a LOT of names here that I've never seen before. Do any of these obscure browsers retain the "Ask me every time" cookie-blocking option that just got removed from Pale Moon?
Last edited by Katie Boundary on 2018-01-28, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Moon

Unread post by Sailor Moon » 2018-01-28, 18:56

One of K-Meleon's signature features is the Privacy Bar, so you can switch on or off for JavaScript, cookies, Flash, etc.
I personally find using something like Privacy Badger with uBlock Origin a lot easier than maintaining a manual whitelist for every site like I used to do with K-Meleon, but it depends on your browsing habits I think!

Katie Boundary

Unread post by Katie Boundary » 2018-01-28, 19:08

Sailor Moon wrote:One of K-Meleon's signature features is the Privacy Bar, so you can switch on or off for JavaScript, cookies, Flash, etc.
I personally find using something like Privacy Badger with uBlock Origin a lot easier than maintaining a manual whitelist for every site like I used to do with K-Meleon, but it depends on your browsing habits I think!
A manual whitelist could definitely be problematic for sites that you want to accept cookies from, but which send cookies from multiple URLs...

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-01-29, 12:15

thanks for your tip,
Even I found that they are porting basilisk to XP

>>>>
basilisk/moebius new build for XP!

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1150178

Test binary:
Win32 http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/basili ... 1-xpmod.7z
Win64 http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/basili ... 1-xpmod.7z

<<<<<
Artthe1 wrote:To answer the topic question, I like the New Moon browser. Unlike the last PM for XP, Twitter videos work on this. Search on "msfn new moon" for info.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-01-29, 17:51

ReactOS is my target operating system as Palemoon/Baselisk are my target browsers. ReactOS is server 2003 compatible (or will be) and is approaching beta. At that point I may be using an XP-like o/s and will expect Palemoon to operate there. Given time it may well occur that ReactOS becomes the most-used platform for Palemoon - as I said - give it tiiiiiiiiime.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-02-07, 09:35

As for me at the beginning it was a bit confussing to figure out how many forks there are XP and also where they are available for downloading. So, I will write here a brief for the XP die hards

Basilisk/moebius new build for XP (aka Basilisk for XP)
Download links are posted in this msfn thread
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=29

New moon(temp name)/MyPal (aka palemoon for XP)
Download releases:
https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
Last edited by dapgo on 2018-02-07, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.