Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Thehandyman1957

Re: Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-08-10, 00:26

Sailor Moon wrote: Call us romantic, but some of us long for the continuation of the Personal Computer, in the spirit of the visions of Vannevar Bush, Doug Englebart, the Xerox PARC team, Steve Wozniak, Richard Sapper, and user-first design methodology as exemplified by the Windows 95 User Interface Design Team. This is as opposed to the user-ignorant or even user-hostile software and hardware so common today.
Man, I could not have said that better myself. ;)

And after seeing what just happened with the W10 anniversary update. :shock: :wtf:
We are in desperate need of that spirit for a new operating system. :cry:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-11, 09:34

My opinion to this line of thought is that what was focused on in XP as far as user interface and interaction is concerned has been extended and polished in Windows 7 and adding a much-needed level of elegance on top, to go down from that with later versions again in favor of flat, clumsy, UI decisions. 7 is still for a large portion user-centric and as such I always recommend it for XP users in favor of 8+.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-08-11, 13:50

See, I kind of like that flat look now (even on the desktop). I didn't always, but it's become more en vogue at present. No matter what, I think many of us change our style over a period of time. The fancier Aero-look actually looks dated now. Weird how something that is definitely more sophisticated takes a back seat. All that elegance just takes up PC cycles. And most of those XP holdouts just want the classic Windows skinless UI anyway.

Besides, there are lots of Aero enhancements available for Windows 8x. And the system itself feels way more stable and responsive than 7. Classic shell and removal of the app packages conceal all those Metro-esque blemishes.

No differently than XP being past due, Windows 7 will meet it's end sooner than you think. So I'm curious Moonchild, since you seem settled in on Windows 7, what will you do when January 2020 comes? If you're telling XP users now that their milk is way past its due date (of which I agree with you), what will happen when Windows 7 starts to curdle?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-08-11, 23:59

JodyThornton wrote:And most of those XP holdouts just want the classic Windows skinless UI anyway
Now that may true for some folks out there, but it's definitely not the case for me. :mrgreen:
I have a dual monitor setup and this is my secondary monitor. It's a mix of Vista and some extra skinning. :D
I use my bigger NEC 2490WUXi just for the browser and games.
Screenshot - 8_11_2016 , 4_55_17 PM.png
what will happen when Windows 7 starts to curdle?
Do what I do, make cheese! :lol:
That, and maybe some buttermilk! :mrgreen:

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-08-12, 11:57

When I used XP x64 Edition, I used mostly a Royale Noir visual style that I modified a bit. Here were some sceenshots from back then:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-08-12, 23:44

Off-topic:
I actually found a desktop screenshot of that theme.
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061029/royale-noir/
Screenshot - 8_12_2016 , 4_43_37 PM.png
Off-topic:
It's a little less refined than the custom version I am using but I like the colors.
I'm a big dark theme guy.

Ghasket

Unread post by Ghasket » 2016-08-16, 07:05

Hi Again..

Sorry to break up the current convo; BTW, I've been using this theme for quite some time before I decided to just accept that I'm using windows NT with a facelift ...Just went back to using the classic theme and I've saved memory as an addend bonus.

I WILL continued to use Pale Moon for as long as possible up and until its grossly outdated. It gets the job done quickly and effortlessly. Besides, it was searching for a alternative browser to FF on XP that led me to using Pale Moon in the first place.

Currently, I'm testing out the following browser now..

Slimjet - so far so good, but its hardly a slimmed down version of Chromium. Haven't had a problem yet, so I will likely stick with it now.

CLIQZ - So far so good with this one as well with XP (but a awful resource hog, so to me, not an ideal alternative, and I'm unsure of the development team which leaves me feeling powerless.

Avant - Good on this one with no real complaints other than it feels not quite as secure sometimes, but uses only a small amount of resources on the plus side.

Iron Browser - Seems good, but being that it listed on reputable sites/forums as "scare-ware" gives me a less than a warm and fuzzy TBH. Might just avoid it really.

As time goes by, its going to be slim pickings finding browsers for our cherished and antiquated OS that we've come to love. Honestly, I have no plans to ever upgrade this PS and will just keep it "as as" and take it offline eventually. I have so many memories and and I've developed an emotional attachment to is LOLOL!! I skipped over windows 7 altogether up until you could not buy it off the shelf at a retail store. Windows 8 was nothing I had any interest in so I didn't bother with it. Now here we (I) am faced with my biggest phobia ...CHANGE :-O. But I suppose I should (at some point) come up from under my rock and see what real world is up to these days. Yes, I admit, I still drive my old car because I hate the ides of these new computerized cars, but all good things must come to an end; as they say. I've been testing out a few new notebooks that are reasonably priced and will make my decision within the end of the month. so far, the ACER had a clumsy keyboard and the ASUS feels cheap and if dropped, that would be it. I'm liking the HP so far. This will be the first new things I've bought myself in ages. I'm not happy with the busy, distracting, outlandish windows 10, that is the only choice buying something new from a retail store here.

As I've said, going to keep my XP pc and plan to be buried with it ha-ha..just a lame attempt a candor. I hope I didn't break any rules by mentioning any brands, if so, please accept and apology in advance.

So it - hello reality, and here's to the way the computer world had evolved into, windows wise. But of course, goodbye - user friendliness, customization, and of course, PRIVACY...Grrrrr!!!

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-08-16, 14:41

Now doesn't the Avant Browser just use the resident Trident engine? So in the case of Windows XP, would Avant not just render pages with the same quality as Internet Explorer 8? Ouch :)

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2016-08-16, 21:34

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
I use that exact theme on my XP-based Mac Mini and have done for years. Definitely the best of the semi-official themes IMO.

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-08-16, 22:35

Trippynet wrote:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
I use that exact theme on my XP-based Mac Mini and have done for years. Definitely the best of the semi-official themes IMO.
I made some slight mods to mine. I put in an orb instead of the blue start button, and at the top of the Start Menu where your username shows up, I slimmed the height. Just wanted it to look a little less XP-ish/Luna-like. I also reduced the title bars to 8-point MS Trubechet and the caption buttons to 19 0r 20-point. Then I used the purple/pink/black wallpaper from the WMP9/Corona theme. It looked snazzy.

Crap now I miss XP.
:)

Ghasket

Unread post by Ghasket » 2016-08-17, 08:01

JodyThornton wrote:Now doesn't the Avant Browser just use the resident Trident engine? So in the case of Windows XP, would Avant not just render pages with the same quality as Internet Explorer 8? Ouch :)
ahhh..didn't think about that...a bit beyond my knowledge here, so good to know this!! Just sort of searching for browsers for XP and seeing what come up and giving them a try.

wsn90

Unread post by wsn90 » 2016-08-18, 01:55

Moonchild wrote: ... Windows 7 is still for a large portion user-centric and as such I always recommend it for XP users in favor of 8+.
JodyThornton wrote: ... Windows 7 will meet it's end sooner than you think ...What will you do when January 2020 comes? .... What will happen when Windows 7 starts to curdle?
Windows 7 is going to start curdling in October 2016, when MS disables the user's ability to choose and install the updates of their liking. Instead, MS will put together single, undocumented, cumulative updates only :thumbdown: . http://www.computerworld.com/article/3108380/windows-pcs/microsoft-to-end-decades-old-pick-a-patch-practice-in-windows-7.html

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-08-18, 02:28

Well aware of the update changes. And yes there have been a couple times where I've needed to uninstall a single update: once on XP and once on Vista. My biggest concern for those of you running Windows 7 or 8.1 (I'm on 8, so I'm not affected), is that you won't be able to skip any telemetry updates if they are rolled up into the single security patch. It's all or nothing.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-08-18, 23:05

wsn90 wrote:Windows 7 is going to start curdling in October 2016, when MS disables the user's ability to choose and install the updates of their liking. Instead, MS will put together single, undocumented, cumulative updates only :thumbdown: . http://www.computerworld.com/article/3108380/windows-pcs/microsoft-to-end-decades-old-pick-a-patch-practice-in-windows-7.html
Oh man, that just blows :wtf: Looks like they are wrapping up all loose ends.
Screenshot - 8_18_2016 , 4_04_59 PM.png
Screenshot - 8_18_2016 , 4_04_59 PM.png (72.92 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them :twisted:

Ghasket

Unread post by Ghasket » 2017-02-02, 15:45

Hmmm.. Been a while since I've posted!

Took me long enough, but I finally cut the cord on XP; as I've said before, I'll keep it going (I usually don't upgrade my PCs so long as they are still working) for nostalgic reasons/purpose, so I just left 26 installed along with Slimjet.

I purchased a new laptop with windows 10 last December and wowzers...what an adjustment going from XP (skipping over Vista/7/8 altogether) directly to 10. I think its a beast and way too busy for my liking but I'm getting used to it (somewhat). I don't care much for Edge at all for so many reasons. Just found my way back to palemoon and have not had any trouble as of so far with 27 on windows 10. I'm using the x64 and I don't notice any difference in performance, in fact, its much faster than Edge. Again, I'm no expert in all truthfully.

Anyways, just thought I'd share this and I'm glad to be back :)

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-02-02, 20:19

Off-topic:
For a not so long time, i had business to do with windows vista. Before that i worked on vista 5 or more years ago. I was amazed how good it looks compared with win7, win8 i consider looks better then 7, but not then vista, and win10 is the worst. Even vistas default desktop background image much better.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2017-02-03, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as off-topic

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-02-03, 01:24

Off-topic:
I liked the look of Vista and would probably still be willing to use it if it wasn't so darn buggy. My wife had Vista on her machine
a few years ago and I was always having to fiddle with it. Put Xp on it and I never had another issue.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2017-02-03, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as off-topic

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-02-03, 19:42

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Off-topic:
I liked the look of Vista and would probably still be willing to use it if it wasn't so darn buggy. My wife had Vista on her machine
a few years ago and I was always having to fiddle with it. Put Xp on it and I never had another issue.
Off-topic:
Windows Vista SP2 is pretty stable.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-02-03, 20:04

Off-topic:
half-moon wrote:Windows Vista SP2 is pretty stable
The (extented) support ends on 11th april, also in 2 months. Then Vista is dead like XP.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-02-03, 22:26

dark_moon wrote:
Off-topic:
half-moon wrote:Windows Vista SP2 is pretty stable
The (extented) support ends on 11th april, also in 2 months. Then Vista is dead like XP.
Off-topic:
True.