Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
KingsMan

Re: Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Unread post by KingsMan » 2018-04-26, 03:01

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:That build is fake news.
Dear you are also fake. Please respect others work . MSFN community is bigger than palemoon community. You called them moron . You can get in trouble if they start posting everywhere about you. You will be in great trouble. Respect others hard work. Don't call them moron and other mean word's . By doing all this you are making fun of yourself . Roy and Feoder2 are angry up on your behaviour but they never protest as they are gentle men . Please be gentle. You don't like XP then use 10 . Here in Uk say 10 is a spyware so it is like giving everything to NSA . Everyone had their choice of os . So don't show your unhelpful , undesirable , unrespectful actions which hurt other or help people to make fun of you and palemoon community.
@MoonChild dear Donot delete this post for sake of heaven . Don't protest against me . Tobin should realise it .

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-26, 04:13

So you're threatening me.. That's nice. What are "they" going to do.. Dox me? Well everything I am is already out on the internet. My address can be found from any of my domains.. What order 20 pizzas to my door? Get someone to hunt me down like a dog and kill me? Go for it.. I seriously won't care because I will be dead and dead people aren't known for giving a crap about much like death.

I will stop interfering in these XP build threads, like for real this time, because I can't afford the distraction. They won't stop and they won't do things properly. I have to just accept that. I have an awful lot of work to do.. Not that I care if people make fun of me.. They already do. Bad press about the project? Already happening as well.. There is nothing anyone can do to me. I have no real job, no real friends, very little family.. No money to take and no life to mess up. In the grand scheme of everything I am pretty much a nobody.. Hardly worth attacking in any real sense.

For the past 4 years this project has been my entire life. That's it. Pale Moon and related mozilla-y code and projects.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-26, 04:15, edited 2 times in total.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-04-26, 08:11

Mr. Tobin, sorry to hear you think of yourself in such a lowly fashion, I am sure you are doing a sterling service on this forum to others. You can appear grumpy sometimes but I appreciate it is because you are passionate about this browser.

Luckily I am not forced to use XP so I use Win 7 instead with as much of the classic interface as I can. It 'feels' like XP plus or Vista with all the bad bits turned off (UAC &c).

XP was a very usable o/s with a decent and productive interface, an o/s with quite a few flaws which MS tried to resolve (rather badly in some cases) whilst foisting an interface change in addition to each version of the o/s. A good way to annoy some people.

For those that don't like change or cannot change for a technical reason there is a real issue but the actual solution is for XP users to stop browsing. Use your XP systems for the job they were designed for, the one they are limited to, the one that stops them being upgraded. Run that bit of software that controls a milling machine or that piece of scientific equipment - keep running it, back it up, secure it &c.

Then buy another system for browsing and put Win7 on that, configure it to operate as XP, classic shell &c so it looks familiar and use that for internet access. Do NOT browse on XP anymore. The o/s is now unsafe and you operate on the internet at your peril.

Your second solution is to hang around and wait for ReactOS. It will be a viable o/s but not yet! Not for three years at the very least.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-26, 09:52

KingsMan wrote:@MoonChild dear Donot delete this post for sake of heaven . Don't protest against me . Tobin should realise it .
The fact that you consider this post delete-worthy the moment you wrote it should be an indicator that you shouldn't have written it (or not in that way) in the first place.
Listen to those inner voices, they are usually right.

I do protest against you because you are setting a really bad example, and are treading on normal forum conduct in several ways. Also, Tobin is right, and I have said exactly the same, in this very thread (read back): If people want to seriously make an effort of having a Pale Moon like browser on XP, now 4 years EoL, then they need to do it PROPERLY. It's not that difficult. If I can shit out full re-branding in a couple of hours like I did recently for unofficial Basilisk builds, then so can anyone else. Add another two for setting up a website and voila, done. You're your own thing, don't need to continue to spread confusion or be labeled a fake build (because it isn't Pale Moon with all the patches done to it, I refuse to accept that, and it should also not be marketed in a single breath). Do it, make your own thing and take responsibility. As long as that isn't done, then Tobin has every right to scoff at the half-assed efforts produced so far (not necessarily code-wise, but certainly project-wise).
yereverluvinuncleber wrote:For those that don't like change or cannot change for a technical reason there is a real issue but the actual solution is for XP users to stop browsing. Use your XP systems for the job they were designed for, the one they are limited to, the one that stops them being upgraded.
^This. 100%.
If you are stuck on XP for whatever reason that is a hard blocker (and that will be a technical reason, not anything else) then use that machine for its technically-limited purpose only, and browse on something supported. If you are still on XP because your hardware is "too old" then I hate to say it but that hardware is reaching the end of its life too, especially if you use it daily. Look around second-hand markets and online to get a replacement. You can get SFF office discards for very low amounts of money that are perfect surfing boxes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-04-27, 03:50

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm may be you upset that you unimportant in your place and try have a good time here, that is rather good, because others may do really bad things because of that. So have a good time and do not upset, however do not abuse other too much with your greatness here.

Caluser2000

Unread post by Caluser2000 » 2018-04-28, 22:22

One option if you have to have a XP box, say a P4, that is needed for some reason is to give a live Linux distro a shot. You can save bookmarks, files etc to the hdd and run XP offline. Hell it may even convince you to give Linux a try and replace XP. I'm using Devuan Linux running Pale Moon on such a system and I must say it is running very well indeed. https://imgur.com/a/u0wxOnv

WRT the OP I'd used use New Moon without without question.

Artthe1

Unread post by Artthe1 » 2018-04-29, 06:03

Latitude wrote:
Fedor2 wrote:Went out new moon too.
https://feodor2.github.io/Mypal/
Thanks for this. I had the New Moon mozglue.dll error upon closing, since the mid February builds.
No problems so far.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-04-29, 16:01

Windows 7 is available, can be configured to operate just like XP. It is still supported, is probably the best o/s Microsods have ever created, is superior to XP in certain key technical respects, networking, SSD support &c. Use Windows 7 to browse if you hate Windows 8/10.

I am the BIGGEST fan of XP and would be running it now if it could be made secure (upgradeable) but the one area it cannot be made secure is internet access and browsing. By ALL means use XP for other purposes but pull the internet cable as the FIRST thing you do.

Browsing by definition is a casual act done for convenience, it is not strictly necessary as an essential task that requires XP, you browse on it because you WANT to. It is therefore not essential to browse on XP. It can be done on ANY device. There are £70 tablets that can browse beautifully. Buy one.

Spectre and its variants should make anyone aware of the capabilities of malware to bypass security on an unsupported o/s. It is hard enough for me to get patches for my quad core i5 sandy bridge system on Win10 as it will be oldest bit of hardware that Intel will patch. All Intel hardware prior to Sandy Bridge devices will NOT be patched. My core2duos need to be chucked in the bin. Most XP systems will be on this sort of hardware.

My family have ipad 2nd/3rd generation tablets. They are all forbidden from accessing the internet using browsers as none of these devices will receive any patches from Apple to mitigate any new found vulnerabilities. Therefore it is unsafe to use the internet on them. They can use certain apps that access the 'net as long as they do nothing that exposes secure data. ie. They can play Clash of clans, that sort of thing but the browser is locked down and inaccessible. Soon these devices will be removed and disposed of as the o/s is simply not upgradeable. Using old hardware these days is becoming a mistake but you can carry on as long as you PULL THE NETWORK PLUG.

Using XP in the recent past with a good firewall, antivirus tools, checking all downloads for viruses, up to date PDF readers, secure browsers was possible but the vulnerabilities that are opening now make connecting the sort of hardware that runs XP to the web - a dangerous thing to do.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-04-29, 19:11

Off-topic:
Dude - i do exactly otherwise, i go online only from the old trustworthy devices which is well examined for the purpose of the backdoors. Of course i use newer tech too, but with mandatory cut off from the net and avoid any devices with persistent wifi. I bet the newest device, fully patched and upgraded, certainly may become rogue botnet cell than the old one.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-29, 20:10

Considering this thread has gone all over the place by now with many off-topic tangents that have nothing to do with the original question, I'll be locking it.

If you want to discuss general OS safety, use the general discussions board or technical chat board or a different forum.
If you want to discuss things specific to Windows XP and Pale Moon, open a new thread here.

Fedor: Please take steps to get organized and both brand and launch your (obviously working) fork of Pale Moon. Set up your own forum for it for support (it's not that difficult) please, because this Windows XP support board will not be around forever. It's been more than 4 years since Microsoft officially EoLed Windows XP. Any discussions for that OS should be moved to dedicated support fora for archaic operating systems.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite