Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
travolta133

Re: Which browser would you use if you had to remain with XP?

Unread post by travolta133 » 2018-02-09, 07:28

I would go with Chrome because it is quite faster as compared to others.
Here I am reading about New Moon Browser. Would one tell me about it? and does it support XP?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-09, 08:17

New Moon is the name used when Pale Moon is built without official branding. There is at least one version of Pale Moon patched to work on XP, currently called New Moon.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-02-12, 13:14

As far as i know , Chrome flavors don't support XP for a long time, so these browsers are more outdated than Firefox code.
Specifically the last ones were Chrome v.50 and Opera v36
So, in my opinion this is another reason to use Newmoon or the unnoficial basilisk port for XP

travolta133 wrote:I would go with Chrome because it is quite faster as compared to others.
Here I am reading about New Moon Browser. Would one tell me about it? and does it support XP?
Last edited by dapgo on 2018-02-12, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-02-12, 14:48

dapgo wrote:As far as i know , Chrome flavors don't support XP for a long time, so these browsers are more outdated than Firefox code.
So, in my opinion this is another reason to use Newmoon or the unnoficial basilisk port for XP

travolta133 wrote:I would go with Chrome because it is quite faster as compared to others.
No quite old. Advanced Chrome Custom Build 54.20.6530.0 works quite well in XP.
http://browser.taokaizen.com/

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-02-21, 15:35

It is very nice that some people are still supporting old hardware/operating systems.
Just in this subforum I discovered your PM/Basilisk fork, Advanced Chrome and that ReactOS is moving on.
Many good things to test ;)

roytam1 wrote:
dapgo wrote:As far as i know , Chrome flavors don't support XP for a long time, so these browsers are more outdated than Firefox code.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-02-23, 07:05

XP has not seen its day at all!

Dunno where anyone gets that nonsense from. There are still many corporate networks using XP and Vista. In fact I am sitting next to a desk that runs XP and she will not update until her machine melts. She has to many apps and too many files to even consider it. She uses Firefox and is most happy with it.

Me on the other hand, I am a developer looking for browser code to incorporate into my projects. I have just found Pale Moon and quite frankly prefer it to Firefox. Chrome I would not recommend to anyone and will not go into that here except t say that its speed claims are smoke and mirrors (caching).

I was hoping to use Pale Moon for our project but if it lacks XP support it is useless to us because it is useless to our clients

KingsMan

Unread post by KingsMan » 2018-02-25, 15:00

https://youtu.be/xQta0eoFMvU
Watch this video. I found it over msfn forum.
Edit : this is a guide video regards to all browser's from roytam1
Last edited by KingsMan on 2018-02-25, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-02-25, 15:54

Fanboys are so funny 8-)

PS: Please respect Board rules:Linking.

travolta133

Unread post by travolta133 » 2018-03-06, 12:05

roytam1 wrote:

That's fine but XP is getting older and obsolete these days. You wouldn't find a new laptop with original XP installed. I found Windows 10.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-03-06, 13:12

There are several china chromes adapded for winxp and are keeping updated
However watchin web video on chromes not really possible on low end hardware, palemoon proved to be the best there.

And otherwise i often got find original xp on laptops, whatever - 2006 year and older.

Artthe1

Unread post by Artthe1 » 2018-03-17, 06:50

Fedor2:

Are you the one that writes the patches for New Moon? Thanks, great work.

Wish there was like an auto parts store for old OSes.

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-03-26, 20:12

You open an XTERM from the GUI menu and type "nano filename". That's so much harder than opening wordpad and typing the file name? Actually, on Windows you have to type "wordpad" as well.

I've never done it, but I believe that on Mate, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, there is a desktop "file system" icon corresponding to "My Computer" and you can select a file and edit it there.
Trying to build a customized PM on Windows 7, I never realized how hard it is to work in Windows 7 compared to XP and Linux. It's not an OS designed for work. It's an OS designed for you to run a mail client and web browser. That's it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-28, 07:59

Can we please keep this on-topic?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-03-29, 10:47

Fedor2 wrote:Went out new moon too.
https://feodor2.github.io/Mypal/
Is it "New Moon" or "Mypal"? :?:

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-03-29, 22:05

No more any moon thing. Mypal is now, yet new name is not made, it is discussed now, watch on the github
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/issues/9

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-04-03, 00:44

What in the world am I doing wrong. I cannot get this download no matter what I try. It just keeps coming up as failed even after downloading the whole file to somewhere on my computer. I had this problem before and it's still not working.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a friend that needs it on his old computer. ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-25, 04:41

That build is fake news.

MoonMadness

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2018-04-25, 09:45

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:That build is fake news.
Why is it fake news? Just wondering. :)