Unable to run/install

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
plodr

Unable to run/install

Unread post by plodr » 2016-06-26, 18:49

Operating system: Win XP all Service Packs installed and updated
Browser version: 32 bit
the other items: problem url, theme, installed addons and installed plugins are not applicable since I can't get the browser to do a thing.

I've downloaded from both the US server and the EU server just in case one was corrupt. This would be version 26.3.1 and I create a folder on my desktop and unzip the contents there.
I find the portable-palemoon icon and click it. I get an extremely brief palemoon window and then that disappears and nothing happens.

I have tried this 5 or 6 times with the same behavior.

I do have FF portable also in a folder on the desktop and that works with no problem. I also have palemoon v 24.7 (I'm not sure if it is portable but since it is in a folder, I assume it is) in a folder on the desktop and I've tried to update to v 26.3.1 through the Help/About but I get an error message: unable to download, install, or update. Unknown Error.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Unable to run/install

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-26, 19:19

1) make sure you have the correct version for Windows XP. You need the Atom/XP version of the portable.

2) v24 is considered too old to be served automatic updates. You will be notified of new versions but will have to manually update.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

plodr

Re: Unable to run/install

Unread post by plodr » 2016-06-26, 23:23

Thanks. When I fire XP up again, I will try again.
I probably downloaded the wrong portable version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just reporting back that this has been solved. I'm posting from Palemoon on the XP computer.
Thanks for the assistance.