discontinuation of the Atom-optimised build

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
greyowl

discontinuation of the Atom-optimised build

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-06-24, 14:41

I read with interest today's announcement that the Atom-optimized build with be discontinued with this current version 26.3.0.

Does this mean that there will not be a continuing version that will work on XP? If so, will I be able to continue using Atom 26.3.0 on my XP laptop. What are the ramifications of continuing use of 26.3.0? Will I encounter any problems in the future?

Thanks for your clarification.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: discontinuation of the Atom-optimised build

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-24, 15:47

You misread.
It will not be discontinued until v27
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-06-24, 15:53

Thanks for the clarification.

The questions still apply. So, at version 27 there will no longer be a continuing XP version available, and we will have to uses the last version 26 that is compiled. What is the ramifications for XP users? Will the last version of 26 continue to work OK on XP. Will there be any problem in continuing to use v. 26. When do you expect to come out with v. 27?

Thanks

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-06-24, 16:06

You'll want to read through this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12216
greyowl wrote:What is the ramifications for XP users?
There are several threads already on the forums that discuss the merits and demerits of the continued use of XP, you may want to use the search feature to find and read through them.

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-06-24, 16:31

Sorta funny how over time, my mind has changed on the XP post-support matter.

Initially, I disliked that Moonchild was taking a stance similar to Microsoft to discontinue support for XP compatibility, because at the time, I saw it as Moonchild being an MS-puppet if you will.

HOWEVER ..... (and even if that was the case ... sorry Moonchild)

I think now that XP has run its course. You already can't play Twitter videos in Firefox, Pale Moon or K-Meleon (and trust me, more incompatibilities and newly lost functionality is coming your way), Chrome doesn't even run on it any more. Many apps have cut support. MSFN is loaded with people that are trying to come up with ways of extending support for the OS, some of them with questionable stability (er, the methods, not the people ...lol)

However many XP die hards will still proclaim that gaming is superior and that the OS is more secure than Vista, 7, 8x and 10. I'm running Windows 8 (which is also out of support, but takes updates from Server 2012 - in fact the updates are named Windows8-RT-KBxxxx, so they are compatible). But Windows 8 is where XP was say almost two years ago (quite usable). And I'll tell you, it's LOADS more stable and faster (on my same old hardware) than XP ever was. And yes I have a Start Menu and Metro is all hidden. The nice thing about Windows 8 -> no GWX daemons.

It is time for XP users to look in the mirror, and view XP usage as a bad habit, no different than cigarette smoking, or nail biting. To continue its use is becoming that silly.
I had my mom still on it with POSReady patches, and I need to get her off of that system as well. It's time.
:)

BazBear

Unread post by BazBear » 2016-06-24, 21:20

JodyThornton wrote:<snipped for brevity> I'm running Windows 8 (which is also out of support, but takes updates from Server 2012 - in fact the updates are named Windows8-RT-KBxxxx, so they are compatible). </snip>
Mainstream support for Windows 8 doesn't end until 1/9/2018, and extended support doesn't end until 1/10/2023. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... wsignin1.0

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-24, 22:39

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but I've already clarified in the "future of Pale Moon" post in the development discussion board that we'd be dropping support for XP in v27, and stated (some of the) reasons why.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2016-06-25, 10:48

BazBear wrote:
JodyThornton wrote:<snipped for brevity> I'm running Windows 8 (which is also out of support, but takes updates from Server 2012 - in fact the updates are named Windows8-RT-KBxxxx, so they are compatible). </snip>
Mainstream support for Windows 8 doesn't end until 1/9/2018, and extended support doesn't end until 1/10/2023. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... wsignin1.0
You are confusing Windows 8 with Windows 8.1.

The original release of Windows 8 is no longer supported. MS only releases patches and provides support for the updated Windows 8.1 build.

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-06-25, 14:48

Moonchild wrote:Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but I've already clarified in the "future of Pale Moon" post in the development discussion board that we'd be dropping support for XP in v27, and stated (some of the) reasons why.
Yes I was very much aware of this. I was just giving my two-bit opinions ...lol. I was more or less saying, I can now understand your development stance or viewpoint.
:)

BazBear

Unread post by BazBear » 2016-06-28, 11:23

Trippynet wrote:
BazBear wrote:
You are confusing Windows 8 with Windows 8.1.

The original release of Windows 8 is no longer supported. MS only releases patches and provides support for the updated Windows 8.1 build.
Off-topic:
Whoops, sorry, I missed the notes in the far right column. Which begs the question, why haven't you upgraded to 8.1? (Just curious :) )

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-06-28, 14:53

BazBear wrote: The original release of Windows 8 is no longer supported. MS only releases patches and provides support for the updated Windows 8.1 build. ... Whoops, sorry, I missed the notes in the far right column. Which begs the question, why haven't you upgraded to 8.1? (Just curious :) )
Well first off I run a workstation class PC that while still a very nice machine, it's older. It has dual Xeon Netburst/P4=style CPUs, which lack some of the security features required to run the x64 vesrions of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I was never a big fan of Windows 7, and I detest Windows 10, but my system could run Windows 8 x64 Pro.

So I researched and realized that since I only want to utilize the Explorer-based Windows section of the product, there is nothing in Windows 8.1 that I'm missing in Windows 8. All of the improvements are in the Metro section of the product, which I've either disabled with Classic Shell (and which gives me back a Start Menu), or removed completely from my installation. All apps and app packages are GONZO!

So in effect, I'm not missing anything with the original Windows 8. And as for updates, Server 2012 (which is basically Windows 8 Server - even the updates are named in the style of Windows 8-RT-KBxxxx) is still receiving updates. So on Patch Tuesday, I just gather all of the relevant updates, and install them manually. It's been five months now and it's gone without a hitch, and the best part - NO TELEMETRY UPDATES and NO GWX DAEMONS. :) :)

So what I have is a flatter, faster, more responsive Windows 7-ish OS. It's stability is that much more improved from Windows 7, that it's worth the trouble. Those that ran XP x64 after moving up from the x86 version of XP would roughly see that same difference (on supported hardware of course)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-06-29, 01:51

JodyThornton wrote:It is time for XP users to look in the mirror, and view XP usage as a bad habit, no different than cigarette smoking
:wtf: I don't think it's that bad...

While I completely understand Moonchild's stance, as stated before, it does not mean that I'm going come down with some crazy disease
because I still use it. :lol:

In a matter of fact it still has a 10.9% user base. https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0
Screenshot - 6_28_2016 , 6_35_24 PM.png
That's still almost 2 million people and business's using XP. That is higher than all the others except W7 and W10.
And I would bet my left arm that W10 would not have near that much if it wasn't for the sinister tactics it has used to get
people to upgrade. :evil:

My personal reason for not upgrading to anything else has to do with trust. I saw the writing on the wall years ago in what
direction M$ was going and I did not like it one bit. And now with W10 they have taken the mask off for everyone to see.

To each his own, but at least it won't give me cancer! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2016-06-29, 10:32

Thehandyman1957 wrote: My personal reason for not upgrading to anything else has to do with trust. I saw the writing on the wall years ago in what
direction M$ was going and I did not like it one bit. And now with W10 they have taken the mask off for everyone to see.
;)
I am interested in what you said about MS.
Could you provide me with some references to read?
Thanks

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-06-29, 11:01

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
JodyThornton wrote:It is time for XP users to look in the mirror, and view XP usage as a bad habit, no different than cigarette smoking
:wtf: I don't think it's that bad...

While I completely understand Moonchild's stance, as stated before, it does not mean that I'm going come down with some crazy disease
because I still use it. :lol: ....

To each his own, but at least it won't give me cancer! ;)
Of course it won't, and of course using XP is not as bad as getting cancer.

I was being dramatic and sarcastic. I just mean, "come on, it's time". And yes, to each his own I suppose. But really XP has had its day. I understand using a legacy OS to run on an isolated machine to perform a specialized application, but as an everyday system for browsing, banking, communication and productivity, XP is becoming long in the tooth.

TheDeadFish

Unread post by TheDeadFish » 2016-06-29, 20:45

As a faithful user of NT5, when palemoon 27.0 comes I will definitely be compiling my own version from source. It might be a hackish mess, but I'm sure I will be able to get it to run.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-30, 16:18

People, please try to stay at least somewhat on-topic, and take this discussion to another board and thread?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-06-30, 20:30

Moonchild wrote:People, please try to stay at least somewhat on-topic, and take this discussion to another board and thread?
Sorry :oops:

Perhaps these last few could be moved. :eh:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-01, 06:43

I've moved some of the heavier discussion about discontinuation of support for XP in general by software and services to the "general discussion" board, feel free to continue your banter there ;)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-07-01, 18:00

Thank you Moonchild :thumbup:
For those of you looking for the new thread, it's here. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12408