URL Overprint? Topic is solved

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
jthorusen

URL Overprint?

Unread post by jthorusen » 2016-06-23, 00:05

Greetings to the Forum:

I just installed version 26.3.0 (Atom/WinXP). I was wondering if anyone has noticed any difficulty reading the URL in the window in the top bar. Mine looks like this:
Pale Moon Overprint.JPG
Thanks for any insight.

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: URL Overprint?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-23, 05:50

Please try re-initializing the status bar code by going to about:config, setting status4evar.firstRun to "true" and exiting/restarting the browser.
Note, this will automatically flip back to "false" upon restart after initializing - that's expected behavior.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jthorusen

Unread post by jthorusen » 2016-06-23, 08:53

Greetings to Moonchild and the Forum:

I appreciate your assistance, but I must report that the change did not correct the problem.

I tried it twice... once simply restarting PaleMoon and then powering down the computer and re-starting PaleMoon after a cold boot. The URL remains scrambled.

It is only a display problem; I can copy the "scrambled" URL and paste it into a document and it is perfectly readable.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-23, 09:55

Hmm. Curious.
Did this start happening only with 26.3.0? Because nothing has changed as far as the address bar is concerned between .2.2 and .3.0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-23, 10:21

Do you have any extensions that may have upgraded during the first restart from 26.2.2 to 26.3.0.. Specifically ones that touch the location bar?

jthorusen

Unread post by jthorusen » 2016-06-23, 20:16

Greetings to Matt, Moonchild and the Forum:

I'm not sure if the problem was exactly coincident to the upgrade or not. I noticed it within a day or so, therefore it may not have been.

Here is a list of the add-ons installed in my PaleMoon:

(Please note that there are two instances of Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503. When I discovered this while preparing this reply, I disabled one of them and tried re-starting PaleMoon. This also made no difference; the problem is still there.)

Adobe Acrobat 11.0.10.32

Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4761.1000

Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4730.1010

Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503

Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503

Shockwave Flash 22.0.0.192

Windows Media Player Plug-In Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.629

Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1

I would appreciate a hint on how to delete the duplicate add-on; all that I can find is a menu to disable it. However, if disabling it is effective, then this does not seem to be the problem.

I hope the above is of some help. Thank You for all of your efforts and comments.

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-23, 20:25

If you disabled one of them and it made no difference then I would think removing one of them wouldn't make any difference either (however I'm a bit confused by your comment ".... if disabling it is effective, then this does not seem to be the problem".

That said, in regards to removing plugins entirely (rather than disabling which would be the more advisable action), if you are unable to use an uninstaller program to remove a plugin, you can remove it manually by doing the following:
1) Enter "about:plugins" (without quotes) in the browser Address bar and press Enter to display the About Plugins page. Each entry in the About Plugins page will have both a "File:" and "Path:" designation that reflects the file name and location for each of the plugins.
2) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the plugin folder you want to remove.
3) Rename the file by adding an X in front of the file-name (for example, npjp2 becomes Xnpjp2).

The plugin will be removed.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

jthorusen

Unread post by jthorusen » 2016-06-23, 22:20

Greetings to Pale Moon Rising and the Forum:

You wrote:
(however I'm a bit confused by your comment ".... if disabling it is effective, then this does not seem to be the problem".
Perhaps if I express it in programmer terms my meaning will be clearer:

"Problem" equals URL overprint.
Disable duplicate add-on.
Check for problem still existing.
Yes, overprint condition still exists.
If disable add-on function was effective in preventing execution of add-on
then duplicate add-on not cause of problem.
Else try removal of duplicate add-on.

Is that better? ;^)

Thanks,
Jim T.
KB6GM

jthorusen

Unread post by jthorusen » 2016-06-23, 22:36

Greetings to the Forum:

When composing my previous reply, I was struck by an idea (ouch). I went into the add-ons manager and disabled all add-ons. The overprint problem was still there with all add-ons disabled. I have ad block plus installed also and next I disabled that (after re-enabling the add-ons). The overprint problem remained with Adblock Plus disabled.

I am curious.... is there a way to revert to the previous version of PaleMoon (before 26.3.0)? I would be willing to try that to see if it will help isolate the problem.

Also, would it be advisable to simply reinstall PaleMoon?

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-23, 22:55

I would recommend that you try creating an additional clean Profile using Profile Manager to see if this makes a difference (by exiting Pale Moon and typing "palemoon -p", w/out quotes, in your Windows start-menu, you can then return back to your original Profile after testing for this problem in the clean Profile).

Refer to: HowTo create a new Pale Moon Profile & use the Safemode, Note: creating an alternate Pale Moon Profile for testing is referenced toward the bottom of this post (scroll down to where this is discussed). Doing this will not only disable all extensions but will have fresh default preference settings just in case a preference setting is causing your problem.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2016-06-23, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

jthorusen

Unread post by jthorusen » 2016-06-23, 22:56

Greetings to the Forum:

Problem Solved!

The problem was caused by a corrupted executable. I uninstalled PaleMoon and installed a new copy of PaleMoon Atom. The URL bar now displays correctly.

I have had several instances of having to run chkdsk lately. I presume this may have had something to do with it.

Thanks to all who responded... your input was appreciated.

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-23, 23:00

Good news. :clap: You can check your post as solving the problem. :thumbup:

maiko

Re: URL In Status Bar Not Visible When Hovering Over Link

Unread post by maiko » 2016-08-08, 14:32

Moonchild wrote:Please try re-initializing the status bar code by going to about:config, setting status4evar.firstRun to "true" and exiting/restarting the browser.
Note, this will automatically flip back to "false" upon restart after initializing - that's expected behavior.
Using PM 26.3.3 portable Atom version, I have also the problem when mouse-hovering over hyper-links in a web page, the Status Bar doesn't display the URL link address, going to about:config and setting "status4evar.firstRun" to "true", and then restart the browser fixed the problem for now.

Related links:
[Solved] Where is the link info when hovering?
[solved] PM x86-64 25.7.0: mouse hover link info missing
Last edited by maiko on 2016-08-09, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-08-08, 20:56

Off-topic:
jthorusen wrote:
I have ad block plus installed also and next I disabled that (after re-enabling the add-ons).
Ad Block Plus is not compatible with Pale Moon I believe (http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6614). There's a Pale Moon specific fork of it called AdBlock Latitude that you should use instead.

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/adblock-latitude/